PDA

View Full Version : Good price on supercharger oil!

Kit Sullivan
12-29-2006, 11:33 AM
I found this place: 'JDM Engineering', that sells 'Motorcraft XL-4' synthetic supercharger oil for only $12.00 a bottle.
Apparently, the XL-4 supercedes Ford's original part number for the fluid.

That's a lot better than $22 a bottle from Ford!

jhosler
12-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Is that for the 4oz bottle or the 8oz, I just went to my local Buick dealer and paid $7.00 for a 4oz bottle.

lilredstang
12-29-2006, 04:59 PM
I thought that I herd that the GM supercharger oil was NOT synthetic and that the FORD oil was, thus accounting for the higher cost of the FoMoCo oil.

Kit Sullivan
12-30-2006, 08:02 AM
True: The GM-spec oil is perfectly acceptable for use in the Ford blowers(since they are both basically the same Eaton units, as we know), but it requires changing about every 30K or so.
The Ford-spec synthetic oil tecnically doesn't require changing for the life of the unit, but (like me) I think most here would rather spend the money and change the oil anyway.
The Ford XL-4 oil that I found for $12.00 is in fact the synthetic stuff, but I will be changing it every 15K or so. For that price, I would rather throw away a little good oil maybe and have the peace of mind knowing the oil is still robust and clean. Certainly cheap insurance against an early SC rebuild.

David Neibert
12-30-2006, 12:25 PM
$12 for a 4oz bottle is still very expensive. You can buy a quart of BP2380 jet turbine oil from your local airport or online for about $9.

David

Kit Sullivan
12-30-2006, 10:20 PM
I always knew that there must be some way to get the oil labled as something else for cheaper...I just didn't know what it was.
My point is that for the 'official' Motorcraft product, $12.00 is a (comparitively) cheap price.

David Neibert
12-31-2006, 12:41 PM
I always knew that there must be some way to get the oil labled as something else for cheaper...I just didn't know what it was.
My point is that for the 'official' Motorcraft product, $12.00 is a (comparitively) cheap price.

Kit,

As you know Motorcraft/Ford doesn't make these superchargers, so I wouldn't be too concerned about using their offical brand of fluid. The portion of the supercharger that has the oil, is nearly identical to the M90 used on GTPs and several other GM cars. The rotor pack is even interchangeable with our M90.

The GM oil works fine, the jet turbine oil has also been proven to work just as good, and it doesn't stink.

David

MikeKanterakis
01-05-2007, 07:34 PM
no stink alone is a great reason. damn... rotten... toe... cheese....

I've been using the BP turbo oil for over 2 years now in both SC's. The wife's SC has over 245,000 miles on it; so it's good stuff for high mileage SC's too.

92bird
01-05-2007, 07:47 PM
You can buy a quart of BP2380 jet turbine oil from your local airport or online for about $9.

Bingo! That's what I use in both my GTP and SC. Got some on my hands during the fluid exchange and noticed the turbine oil was noticably slicker between the fingers than the old oil that came out of it.

Jeramie

Mike8675309
01-05-2007, 09:04 PM
The unique requirement of the fluid used in our superchargers is that it has to have very limited expansion due to heat and/or pressure. Since our case isn't vented, the fluid can't expand when it gets hot like oil normally will. Thus the special nature of our supercharger oil. it's also a special requirement of oils used in aircraft motors.

plenum
01-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Go To Chevy Dealers They Sell The Oil For 7.00 A Bottle. I Just Now Bought 2. They Are 4oz. A Bottle. Mine Took 31/2 Ozs To Fill.