Speedometer Gear IN Tranny!

Wags

Does anyone know if the speedo gear inside the tranny is plastic. Speedometer quit working along with cruise. Put in new speed sensor. With the key on i can turn the gear on the speed sensor and the speedo will register speed. Put it in the tranny and nothing. The gears on the speed sensor are good.

Will the ford dealer be able to get one or is there a rebuild kit that comes with one in the kit.

ford sells it, so do lots of transmission places that have rebuilt F150 5 speeds, I think stock is a green gear, maybe 7 or 8 teeth(really important), I forget:cool: . Its replaceable with trans still in the car if IT IS the problem, there a ball bearing under the gear which retains it

tough job

I've done it before....
the green gear was like in 4 pieces just having fun getting chewed up.
You have to take off the driveshaft.
You have to take the shifter apart from inside the car.
then you have to take the tail housing off the transmission
Then slip on the new gear.
be sure to grab all the chunks out of the tranny!
-Smutty

Thanks for info. She made it to Ohio so I will be trying to fix the gear soon. Doesn't sound too hard.

I had mine done in my 89 SC years ago. I got two wreckless driving speeding tickets a couple of weeks apart. Took it to my friends tranny shop, put it on the calibrator. The speedeo was right on, unitl we changed the gear...then it was an amazing 15mph off. Put th ecorrect gear in it, printed the calibration sheet for it, and went to court. Got wreckless down to just speeding. That was when I was young and dumb though. Man I miss my SC......

Back