fog light current draw

Fog Lights Current Drawn

Well i also am looking at putting more power in the fog lights. BUT, the factory fog light assebly uses a bulb "880" (according to the auto parts stores) that is 27 Watts. and no other bulb would fit in the factory fog light assembly. You could replace the entire fog light assembly with some aftermarkets lights, but you'd have to rewire your factory fog light system, because the factory wiring system could not handle the power consumption of the new set up. If you don't rewire the system you could damage the lighting system of the car... perhaps someone who has modified they fog lights could shed some light on this matter..... :D

np problem!

I have an aftermarket foglight's on my car w/ the the factory wiring for a year now and no problem.

If you put 55 watt fog lights on a circuit that is only marginally big enough for the 27 watt stock "lights", it's only a matter of time before something breaks, melts, etc. Plus your 55 watt lights won't be operating up to their potential.

The way to do it is get some replacement lights with 55 watt (or better) bulbs, and mount them in place of the stockers. Luckily we have a fairly typical mount, so it's not hard to find lights for it. Just make sure they fit in the opening.

Then, use the wiring to one of the factory lights to trigger the relay for the aftermarket lights, and wire up that relay to the battery (with fuse). This way you can still use the stock fog light switch.

Rob

WELL there are 2 others that can fit in the stock Foglight housing...

880 (stock 27watters)
893 (37 watters)
885 (55 watters)

the 37's i think would be okay on the stock wiring, the 55's You'll need to least add a relay and like 16 guage wiring to the fog lights housing..

Also if you add 55's VENT the housing (Facing down, DUH!) since there'll be ALOT of heat build up, and that'll with one Help melt the stock housing, two make the bulbs burn out faster..

Last edited:
I rewired my system with 2 40 amp relays to power up 80 watt low beams, 100 watt high beams and 37 watt fog lights, i can even turn them all on at the same time . and my factory wires are used to triger relays that have low curent draw, 12 gauge wires from battery supplys power for bulbs. it is very simple to do.

Last edited:
oh'yah.. I've done it too, Made a nice little `plug-and-play' harness, with 3 relays (high, low, fog) and so forth, I even have a `socket' board for the relays.. (Ie the relays aren't mounted/screwed to anything) also got a fuse panel type thing happening (heh snap together fuse holders:) )..

here is a shot of my fogs and head lights(not very good pic):

front.jpg

the fog lights are Hyper whites by Catz. perfect fit and replacement of the stock ones. I even used factory mounts and bolts...no mods except wiring. The kit comes with all of the nessessary wiring and relays. I wired my lights similar to how 92_Coupe did.

Fog Lights

your car looks sweet !!!!! i looked some time ago into purchasing some of these fog lights but i don't remember anything except that they are pricey.. Can you tell us a lil about these lights.. like how many watts and what you think of them performance wise , and what they might run about $$$$.. thanks....:D

thanks for the complement :) They are Catz MSX series Xenon H3 12V 85W(model# CL147). I am very happy with them. We used to be a Catz dealer awhile back when I bought them so I got them for a pretty good price ($130 i think). I think they retail for over $200. I have had them for years now but only about a year on this car. They are the perfect fit for 94' 95' SC's. I even retained the original mounting brackets from the stock fogs for the catz. The quality of the housing as well as the wiring is excellent and by far the best fog/driving lights I have delt with.

Back