Auto Headlights

Flex

Hey dudes,

I have managed to repair most of the issues with my new SC, thanks in a large part to some great info posted here and provided by helpful members. A big thank you to the links Scott Long provided. Turns out my lack of brakes was due to the relay on the passenger firewall. I suspected it may have been as the previous owner replaced damn near everything else before giving up on the car and selling it for a song.

Anyways, back to trying to add a few things. I've got a delay headlight switch and bezel but cannot find the connector on the harness. I have manage to find all the other option connectors tied up in the harness somewhere nearby but can't seem to find this one. Anyone know where to look?

Are you sure that your car originally came with auto-headlights? The previous owner might have replaced the bezel.

J.D.,

It didn't, but then it didn't have a VMM either and does now. The harness was just tied into the rest of the wiring. It does not have the motor or button for fuel door, but the wiring is there. It does not have electronic climate control but has the wiring for the sensor. I believe they made one generic wiring harness and just plugged in what was needed. Just need to find the plugin.

If you look at the wiring diagrams, you will see dotted lines for some connections, which denote optional equipment. Since optional equipment is very profitable for the auto manufacturers, I assume that Ford has more than one wiring harness for each model in order to prevent new car owners from upgrading on the cheap with parts from a totaled car. It’s also difficult to have one harness for all the different combinations of equipment, e.g., analog/electronic/sport/performance clusters, electronic/manual climate control, auto/manual headlights, different engines, etc.
Some wiring for optional equipment may exist in cars without these options possibly for cost reasons and because it is difficult to retrofit the mechanism. The fuel door release solenoid and pushbutton and the VMM are pre-wired in all T-birds (according to my 1992 schematics).
The auto-lamp dimmer option has a separate wiring harness that connects together the auto dimmer switch, the auto-lamp light sensor (a blue box with a rectangular blue lens located at the base of the windshield under the long trim piece), the auto-lamp dual coil relay, and a 2-wire plug for the headlight switch (which is separate from the main 7-wire plug for the headlight switch). This wiring harness plugs in to the rest of the electrical wiring using a 7-wire/8-pin connector at the fuse box under the dash. If your car didn’t have this option, then the harness was probably not installed.
I would start by checking if the car has the auto-lamp light sensor.

I too have a bezel with auto lamp switch and was looking to do the same upgrade, its just not back there and too much to add to make it worthwhile.

Not really, I know the 7 wire 8 pin harness J.D. lists is there under the fuse box with a plug in it currently.

So a donor car would need to supply the "a separate wiring harness that connects together the auto dimmer switch, the auto-lamp light sensor (a blue box with a rectangular blue lens located at the base of the windshield under the long trim piece), the auto-lamp dual coil relay, and a 2-wire plug for the headlight switch (which is separate from the main 7-wire plug for the headlight switch"

The schematic is for a 1992 model. You might need to zoom in. The earliest models (1989-1990) should be different because they have auto-dimming headlights as well.

Attachments

• autoheadlights.jpg
    autoheadlights.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 83
I know for a fact the 91-93 SC has the same wiring for the auto headlight option. When the car is not originally equipped with the option, there is a jumper wire in the plug that the auto headlamp harness would plug into. It is located near the headlight switch. The auto headlamp harness consists of the photo electric sensor and the double relay, along with the switch in the bezel. As long as you have all the parts, a car that was not equiped with auto head light option can be converted.

my 90 does not have auto headlamps. I don't recall seeing anywhere to remove a jumper and plug in the harness to?

Also my 92 has no VMM and when I had the stereo out, I didn't see the little plug my 90 has for the VMM above the radio.

So I don't know.

Also my 92 doesn't have the sensor in the coolant jug, the washer jug, and the gas light is the check gage light. I don't think it has the low oil sensor in the pan either. Matter of fact I know it doesn't.

Some cars had auto headlights that came on a dusk and had a delay when you shut the car off you could set the time for the delay. Then there are auto dimming. this was when you had your brights or high beams on a car in the oncoming lane with its light on would trip a sensor behind the rear view mirror and turn them off untill it passed. I thought this was cool but never used it.

Some cars had auto headlights that came on a dusk and had a delay when you shut the car off you could set the time for the delay. Then there are auto dimming. this was when you had your brights or high beams on a car in the oncoming lane with its light on would trip a sensor behind the rear view mirror and turn them off untill it passed. I thought this was cool but never used it.

Oh ok....I guess that's what I have. I will have to try it out.

Back