Blew my upper intercooler tube clear off!

quick35th

Guys I love my new 35th so much, its got so much power even though it runs like poo because it needs a tune bad lol! The new liquid to air intercooler works AWESOME. Tonight some of my friends went out to vidoe tape what my 35th sounds like from outside the car so I could hear what it sounds like. Well it lasted one run to 100mph then on the return trip it blew the upper intercooler tube clear out of the coupler! The car sounded like a dying cow while I limped it back to where my friends were standing LOL! I tried tightening the hose clamp thats on there now really tight and it blew again, I tried to get it to work two other times only to blow the tube out each time. So I just took it easy on the way home. To my knowledge the guy I got my liquid to air setup from did not have this problem on his car with his ported early style M90 so I with my MPII and 10% sc pulley I must be making a ton more boost than his setup. So what kind of clamp should I be using to ensure that I dont have this problem anymore?

On a side note the intercooler does its job very nicely. You'd think that after the beating it got that the ic tubes be really hot but they were nice and cool, not hot at all.

If anyone wants to check it out I have a video of my new setup running after the installation of the new ic system. Its like 4 minutes long of really just the engine running and us talking about it. After I get my personal computer reformated so I can use my second hard drive I'll edit the footage that was taken tonight and post it up here for all to see.

Click here to see Video

Shane

2 things i noticed. You intercooler couplings are bowing in and out with the boost and vacuum, which may cause enough inertia for it to blow off. Your blower whines alot more than my car at idle when pressing the gas. I can only get mine that loud if a blip the throttle quickly. I have coated rotors and 10% overdrive as well.

Your blower whines alot more than my car at idle when pressing the gas. I can only get mine that loud if a blip the throttle quickly. I have coated rotors and 10% overdrive as well.

I dont understand where my blower whining a lot is a problem :confused:

Shane

Shane,

Those collapsing elbows at the IC connections need to be swapped out for something of higher quality that will maintain their shape under vacuum. You also need to replace every one of the hose clamps after the supercharger over to a t-bolt style, those type clamps should only be used on couplings that will never see boost (before supercharger inlet). The ends of all the tubes after the supercharger outlet should have had a bead rolled or welded on them to help grip the coupler.

Here's where I bought a bunch of that stuff for my turbo car.

http://racepartssolutions.com/

David

Last edited:
Yah get some good high quality couplers..If you need T bolt clamps I know I cna get ya a good price on some..Just get me sizes

After the kinks are worked out of that intercooler, is it a better choice then the front mount intercooler that magnum powers offers?:confused:

chris

tubes...

Yea that's not good. I would have someone weld a 45 degree and a 90 degree bend on those tubes where they meet the intercooler and then use a straight coupler to connect. Also, as Dave said T-Bolt clamps.

is that the IC that wakinyatanka had, or was working on before he sold his car

That is correct except for the car is not sold.

I got a new coupler for the one that blew out and some three inch T-bolt clamps today but they are just a little to small for my 3 inch intercooler tubes. I need to get some T-bolt clamps that are probably 3.25 inch or 3.5 inch big to make it work.

Shane

Chris one you can buy new..One you have to make..Both have advantages and disadvantages

I am talking efficiency of Shanes intercooler verses the magnum powers air to air intercooler. Seems to me, a smaller liquid to air intercooler maybe ~60% of the size of Magnum powers could be just as efficient and not rob soo much flowing air away from the radiator.

On my car I will have a griffin radiator, but I want to be able to reuse the factory a/c condensor without higher engine temperatures then a stock SC

I think until I have my car dyno tested and tuned we wont know the potential of my liquid to air setup but I am betting it will be much better then the MP FMIC :)

Shane

I think until I have my car dyno tested and tuned we wont know the potential of my liquid to air setup but I am betting it will be much better then the MP FMIC :)

Shane

Get it done!! :) Hopefully that intercooler turns your car into a horsepower "freak" of the sc world with the mods you have

Get it done!! :) Hopefully that intercooler turns your car into a horsepower "freak" of the sc world with the mods you have

Thats what I am hoping for :D January 12th is the day that I have schedualed as of now to get it tuned by Dave. I have some ice packs that I will be putting into the IC coolant supply that will chill the coolant to around -109 degrees (not a missprint) and will litterally frost the lower intake tube going to the motor :eek: :D :cool:

Shane

I have some ice packs that I will be putting into the IC coolant supply that will chill the coolant to around -109 degrees (not a missprint) and will litterally frost the lower intake tube going to the motor :eek: :D :cool:

Shane

Hey Shane...how long will the "icepacks" stay cold? Say if you were at the dragstrip how many runs would you expect to get out of them?

Back