power steering pump going out

free90sc

Help! My husband called this morning and said I need to pick him and his 92 SC up after work because the power steering pump is going out. I believe there is only 1 serpentine belt for everything. My question is this. If the power steering pump goes out on his way home what else if anything can be damaged if he drives the 50 miles home. The wife

unless the pump locks up and burns the belt off he can drive it just it'll have some very hard steering, i hope the way home has alot of straight roads.

Or you can drive home in reverse.....:rolleyes:

They steer pretty good that way when the PS goes out......:p

made it home

well, it wasn't the p.s pump. it was the super charger. got ready to load it on the trailer, removed the acc belt, and it still made the worst grinding noise i have ever heard. popped the hood, took off the sc belt and restarted , presto all nice and quiet. my wife didn't think it was as great as i did, she had just driven 57 miles with a trailer to pick up us up { car and i}.
i'll have it all back together tomorrow, i've got extra parts, i have to have extra parts; i own a supercoupe

well, it wasn't the p.s pump. it was the super charger. got ready to load it on the trailer, removed the acc belt, and it still made the worst grinding noise i have ever heard. popped the hood, took off the sc belt and restarted , presto all nice and quiet. my wife didn't think it was as great as i did, she had just driven 57 miles with a trailer to pick up us up { car and i}.
i'll have it all back together tomorrow, i've got extra parts, i have to have extra parts; i own a supercoupe

Amen to that, I was about to try and sell you my factory blower too. Guess I better keep it though until I get a back-up mpII anyways

on a complete side note and high-jack, does anyone know of an aftermarket high flow/pressure power steering pump for the SC?

High flow, High pressure..... huh??? most Ford PS pumps from that era are the same, I currently have an 85 ford f150 ps pump, silent.

unless your putting an SC motor into a school bus or dump truck stick with stock yo'

unless your putting an SC motor into a school bus or dump truck stick with stock yo'

I'm putting one in a rock buggy, with full hydraulic (think Hi-lo) steering. No steering box, just high pressure to an orbital valve and a hydro ram...

Back