Clutch problems!!

chadder1313

Well i just got done replacing the motor and while i had the motor out i thought id just put a new clutch in too. Well i got everything done and now my clutch seems to be having problems. It was fine for the first week then all of a sudden the clutch felt like it wasnt disengaging all the way and it was hard to get in or out of gear. So i checked the master cylinder and it was empty. I filled it up and pumped the clutch and it started to act right. Now its ok if you keep pumping the clutch. I didnt replace the slave cylinder. Is it possible that nows its bad? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

did you:

replace the throw-out bearing? (keeps input shaft spinning)
re-bleed the clutch after adding fluid? (air bubbles)
previously have trouble engaging first while at a stop? (bad synchros)

All the synchros are fine and i did put a new throw-out bearing in. But i did not bleed the clutch after i did this. So you can bleed the clutch?

Most definitely!

You'll need 2 people ( or one person and an extra foot).

much like bleeding the brakes, a clutch is bled as well. there is a small opening on the driver's side of the transmission. If you're lucky, there'll be a black rubber stopper in the hole. open that up and look inside. There you will see the tube entering the transmission (coming down from where you filled up the clutch fluid). below that, there'll be a silver 5or6 sided metal tube coming out of the slave cylinder. fit a clear tube over than and open it up (righty tighty, lefty loosey) and you'll have fluid and bubbles coming out.

1. push down on the clutch and hold.
2. crack open the bleeder tube.
3. let fluid and bubles come out.
4. close the bleeder tube.
5. release the clutch pedal.

6. repeat this many many many many times.

7. after you're sure you're done. have the "foot" pump the clutch pedal like 8 times and then hold the pedal down on the 9th. Then crack open the bleeder tube really fast and close it really fast too!!! You want to have just a bit of fluid come out.

If you're not sure whether you're doing it right, watch the throw-out bearing move as the clutch pedal is being pressed down. You've done it right when the T.O. bearing moves the most. Otherwise, you've not built up enough pressure in the fluid and you're not disengaging the clutch as much as it should be disengaged.

p.s. did you replace the pilot bearing/bushing? that's in important one too.

yes AIR in the system most def. I just did the clutch on my ranger which is almost identical to an SC tranny. Its a pain to bleed it trust me. On mine you had to bleed the clutch line first then attach it to the master and bleed it again.

Back