Snout Interchangeability

Melon

SCCoA Member
I know the blower cases are different, but what about the snouts? I'm fairly certain my snout is leaking in the front, even after replacing the seal. And I think my snout is kinda skewed anyway - so was going to try a different snout.

Can I pull the snout off the 90 charger I have and put it on the 94 and everything will work?

Thanks
-Melon

Looking at the two blowers I have here at my shop, it looks like the 90 snout should fit on your 94 blower.....

The only difference I can find is the coupler on the 90 is a solid mount and the coupler on the 94 has a spring in it.....

As long as it will work and not ruin the blower :D That's all that matters to me. Money is tight at the moment and would like to have a SC back in the spring. It leaks enough, that I don't even put any fluid in it cuz it gets expensive after a while.

Thanks
-Melon

Yes, they are interchangable.. But the reason you keep blowing your snout seal isn't because the snout seal is neccesarily bad. The seals in the center support are probably shot and are pressurizing the snout and overcoming the snout seal when you are under boost.

I know www.thehighspeedlab.com can do a proper rebuild of the center support for you.

Jeramie

Bad rotor bearing seal things are possible, but... There is more often vacuum pressure in that motor than anything else, IMO the fluid would get sucked into the intake if anything.

The seals on the rotor pack are rediculously hard to change, whereas a snout seal is not.

Just a thought.

Bad rotor bearing seal things are possible, but... There is more often vacuum pressure in that motor than anything else, IMO the fluid would get sucked into the intake if anything.

The seals on the rotor pack are rediculously hard to change, whereas a snout seal is not.

Just a thought.

The seals are made with the lips facing toward to gear case....they typically allow air in but won't let oil out into the rotor area. The gear case will actually hold pressure. Mine had a real bad case of it that didn't improve until replacing the entire rotor pack. Even then I had to use an actuall snap ring to keep the snout seal from popping out becuase of case pressure.

Tried making several systems that would allow the case to vent to stop it from blowing the snout seals.I found that if you vent case it will really start blowing some oil/air. Mine blew so much it started dripping on the headers and the resulting smoke looked like the car was on fire.

David

Last edited:
I had a full rebuild and port job done by a local SC'er before it went on the car and it was OK at first, but gradually got worse. A small gasket had to be made between the case and rotor pack - otherwise the rotors wouldn't spin at all.

Mine blew so much it started dripping on the headers and the resulting smoke looked like the car was on fire.

Mine sorta did that once, maybe more? But don't remember for sure. But mine was coming more from the back of the motor? I'm afraid that the rotor case might be messed up and not the snout itself - but I guess I'll haveta wait and see.

-Melon

Back