question to those with dayco idler pullies #89016

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Just got 3 from carquest...but, how are you guys using them? I tried using the stock washer which i thought could be used with the new pullies...but if you tighten it down...the pully goes too far and hits the tensioner. I tried using the bolt alone, and that works...but then the bearing is exposed...wouldnt that mean that it would get dirt and stuff and perhaps lower the working life of the pully? Im thinking perhaps just getting a new, and smaller, washer to fit in there...but i just wanted to see what you guys thought. By the way...i got the 76mm steel pully for 8 ribbed belts...dayco#89016. thanx for any help.

I have been playing with this pulley and found that I could install another flat washer underneath the stock formed washer and gain enough clearance to run the pulley.

The stock washer is not required, but I like running with it.

CaifanSC said:
Just got 3 from carquest...but, how are you guys using them? I tried using the stock washer which i thought could be used with the new pullies...but if you tighten it down...the pully goes too far and hits the tensioner. I tried using the bolt alone, and that works...but then the bearing is exposed...wouldnt that mean that it would get dirt and stuff and perhaps lower the working life of the pully? Im thinking perhaps just getting a new, and smaller, washer to fit in there...but i just wanted to see what you guys thought. By the way...i got the 76mm steel pully for 8 ribbed belts...dayco#89016. thanx for any help.

Food for thought...The bearings are sealed, no dirt or debris is going to get into them. They might get warm but not hot enough to freak out if errant water hits them.

I use a washer for peace of mind but that's about it. I also use the washer because I bought different pulleys than you and didn't hafta modify anything.

good luck,

'bird

What you get running these pullies vs. stock is a lot of money left in your pocket! The stock plastic replacements from Ford come with the whole tensioner arm attached for over $100. These pullies are less than $20.

Plus they are steel and not plastic.

yes i have and they are in like new shape that's why i was woundering a had onr of the mounts brake last year and had to buy a complete new one from ford and it was $100 but the steel poiles are heaver does'nt that slow the responce of the car doun a little that what i was woundering

For most people, either the plastic pulley or the bearing wears out and they do not want to purchase the whole arm. If you are building an all out race car, then the lighter plastic pulleys might be a little better, but I don't think there is enough of a weight difference between the two that could be noticed on the dyno or the street.

Hey George,

The Dayco number I had for those pulleys was #89007, and that was supposed to allow us to use the factory washer... Is that not right??

RJ

That number is right.... But that pulley is designed for a 6 rib belt so it's a little small on our cars.

But it's worked fine for many people for years. The new number 89016 is a new one people have found that is designed for a wider belt but does require some mod of the washer to attach if you want to use the dust sheild. All the new pulley's come with sealed bearings that do not require a dust shield.

The benefit of the Metal Pulley is also that they are quieter than the plastic ones. The noise under the hood of our SC's from accesories turning is quite loud. It's noticably quieter with the metal pullies.

Follow up:

Ahhhhhh....so I've had a few probs with the instalation of these pullies. Hopefully you guys can help me out here, and I hope you guys dont mind the long detailed explanation of what i found. Here it goes:
#1-Well, concerning the top tenstioner...the one for the longest belt..that one is AOK. I put a washer behind the stock pully's washer/dust cover one and the pully turns freely with no probs. The other two were the ones with the problems.
#2- the idler pully for the supercharger...well, thats another story. I tightened down with the stock washer and another washer under that (just like the first one I did) and this one didnt turn. I figured that it was tightened down so far that it was hitting the bracket..so I added another washer...well, with this...the tensioner turned...but it was still stiff, but I decided to try it. So I turn on the engine, and the thing sounds like somethign is scraping against metal. So I take it out, and since its getting dark I decide to just put it back in there with the bolt alone. With only the bolt, the pully turn freely and its all AOK...but...Im wondering what the heck to do to have that stock dust shield/washer in there. Any suggestions? What set up do you have in your George? You mention that you have the stock washers in there.

#3 was the worst. This is the one that tightens the belt that goes from the crankshaft to another pully. With this one I tried the same procedures as the last two...stock washer..nope. stock washer plus an extra washer behind that...nope. Stock washer plus TWO washers behind...nope. With these things the pully just didnt turn. Im guessing I hit the tensioner bracket..but Im not sure. Like I mentioned before, it was getting dark, so I ended up putting the old pully back in there. Any thoughts??

With the two new steel pullies in there, I relly could tell that the engine sounds different. Maybe a lil quieter, but definately with less rattle.

#1 - Do it when you can see what you are doing.

Test fit everything on a bench. You should be able to see what's going on.

If the washer is too large of a diamter, it might contact both the inner race and the outer race causing the bearing to not want to turn. Same thing could happen with the flange on the bolt head.

Check that closely.

i have the orignal plastic pulleys, when one started making noise i just took it off and with a dental pick i removed the seal, repacked it with grease and put it back on did the same with all three of them and works great. plastic does not transfer heat to the belt like metal and asorbes noise better. i did buy one new one for the blower it is the larger size used on the main belt to take up the slack from the 10% overdrive pulley on blower, it is made by gates and looks just like the rest of them even uses the washer to keep out dirt.

I have just started playing with the newer 89016 pulleys on one of my engines and have not installed it on every idler pulley. I do like it better than the narrower 6-rib pulley (89007). But many people do run the smaller pulley and many others with no problems. It also takes the stock washer. A few did report belt shredding issues with the smaller pulley, so that is what prompted the search for a wider pulley.

Also, 92_coupe, do you have the part number for the Gates pulley?

tbird88, what brand was the Napa pulley?

Originally posted by gldiii
tbird88, what brand was the Napa pulley?

gulping Folgers...

ahem, been up since 4:30 and still ain't had enough java...it's from NAPA and comes in a NAPA "Temp Controls" box, box is labeled 209766.

When I started the quest for pulleys it only took about 2 hours. I hit the various partshouses & just looked at their selection of aftermarket A/C pulleys. You'd be surprised at how small the selection is on these, takes just a few minutes to look at their stock on the shelves & find what you need. The quick tipoff is th size of the box, usually only 2 or 3 that will instantly catch your eye, grab it and look/compare to your stock pulley and you're set.

Don't know if I mentioned it yet but these are the 3 I ran across:

brand/number
Murray Climate Control 45979
Factory Air 45979
NAPA Temp Products 209766

I'd like to offer one tip...you might want to sand the paint off the belt surface of the new pulley(s) to keep the paint from loading/transfering to your belt(s) and uglyin' them up. If you see "streaks" on the flat side of the belt(s) then it's already happened.
This is probably one of the causes for belt slippage on the waterpump, paint from a new pulley gets burned onto the belt in streaks (look & you'll see it) and next thing ya know you're postin' about overheatin' problems. If you find you already have this problem, wiping the belt with acetone should do the trick.

time for another cup of mud,

'bird

Wynn------------Shoot me an email. I need your phone number and a time to call this morning. Part questions of course!

Calvin
ccoats17@bellsouth.net

[Edit] Do you use a messenger of any sorts, would be easier to get in touch with you. Like Yahoo, AOL, MSN, etc etc. [/Edit]

Last edited:
Originally posted by FearThis SC
Wynn------------Shoot me an email. I need your phone number and a time to call this morning. Part questions of course!
Calvin
ccoats17@bellsouth.net
[Edit] Do you use a messenger of any sorts, would be easier to get in touch with you. Like Yahoo, AOL, MSN, etc etc. [/Edit]
I read/comprehend/type rather fluently and my sentence structure rates pretty well...but I cain't type worth a hoot as far as speed goes so I ain't got none of that stuff you mentioned. I'll be offline by 7:30 (Davenport grins in anticipation), gimme a holler.

email ya soon

'bird

Back