OH YEAH! Aluminum Flywheel is FUN!!!!!

T

TBKHomeworld

OH YEAH! Aluminum Flywheel is FUN!!!!!

WoW! <Font size="+3">WOW WOW WOW</FONT> What a freak'n BLAST that was!

After almost a year of having my car outta commission from tranny problems I have driven it for the first time tonight without ANY problems! The vibration was solved by the 0 balanced 13lb aluminum flywheel.

Let me tell you guys something....if you have ever entertained the idea of swapping flywheels, DO IT! IT'S WELL WORTH THE MONEY! WOW!!!

I can safely say this car pulls harder now than it EVER did previous! What a BLAST!

Anyway, I'm just really freak'n excited about the performance GAIN over this! Low end (first gear only) is a bit harder to get it to break loose (not a big deal anyway)....once you get it around 2000rpm you just get shoved back in your seat.

WOW!!!!!!

Re: OH YEAH! Aluminum Flywheel is FUN!!!!!

That's great Aluminum flywheels are so much better what kind of clutch do you have?

I'm using the 11" LUK (stock) clutch and pressure plate. Engagement is very good when I let out quickly and it's smooth as a baby's butt when I let out slowly.

No chatter or slipping when it's engaged. :)

Im glad everything finally worked out for you. Does it feel like you have less power off the line or is it just harder to spin em?

If I ever have to replace my clutch Ill make sure to stick one of those in there.

I do not have less power off the line. In fact, I would say I actually am able to pull harder simply because I don't spin them. It was so easy to break them loose previous (particularly late at night like this).

Definately worth the $ I spent.

If you ever do it there is a walk-through over at my homepage. http://sc.tbkhomeworld.com

TBK,

Glad to hear your problems are over. I have vibration issues that I'm told stem from the flywheel/clutch. I was originally thinking of getting a Centerforce DF only, but in light of your success story, I think I'll add a McLeod aluminum flywheel to that order.

Also, thanks for posting your walk-through, I'm sure that it will come in handy.

Is yours a factory 5-speed or a swap? If it's a swap, what year car did you pull it off of? I had a duracast crank flywheel that I used...which means it was weighted. This is what was causing my vibration. :-(

Either way, it's still a good, fun, performance mod that you can do. The cool thing....you don't do anything to the engine itself....so you don't increase your chance of screwing it up. :)

TBK, i will soon be ordering the McLeod flywheel for my rebuild. I have a totally stock '95 SC 5-speed. I just would like to make sure i know what all modifications have to be done to put the flywheel in and i believe the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch is only made in 11", so what do i need to do to get that flywheel/clutch combo installed? Thanks

Well, so long as it's 11" clutch plate, then your home free. Just make sure you purchase new flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts from Ford. The bolts can get micro fractures in them and they have been known to sheer off and severally injure peoeple. If you don't have a local dealer then I would suggest Dan Newman at Five Star Ford. Tell him TBK from the Tbird club sent you.

The swap is rather easy....getting to the parts is the only hard portion of it. While your there, inspect your rear-main seal and make sure it's in good working order. Now is the time to replace it if you need too. (btw--a new write-up was just made for that at my homepage).

On a side note: McLeod is now selling an adjustable clutch setup. I was told you can adjust how much pressure is applied to the surface of the flywheel. I am not sure how this is accomplished or what it's like, but if you want to, call McLeod and talk to them about it.

thanks, i really appreciate all the help. any other minor things like the bolts that would need to be replaced that i should know about? i want to have ALL the replacement parts lined up ready to go when i walk up to that shop. also do you have any hints on how you can tell if a shop is good or bad? dont wanna get screwed by these people but ive heard a few good things around from them.
I just went up to my local ford dealer, got prices on the parts i could remember at the time but they dont stock ANY of these parts...
synchros - 1-2 - $183
3-4 - obsolete
5-R - $152
slave cylinder - $138
Master cylinder - $119
lines - $83
t/o bearing - $59
top gasket - $17
2 seals may be needed - $35

those are the parts he said would most likely be worn or need replacing during a tranny rebuild. sounds kinda high priced, i guess i just need to talk with Dan Newman like you said. Thanks

Dan typically gives about 20% discount. When you purchase from him, get EVERYTHING in one go, saves $ on shipping.

Two things I would add:

1) if it leaks oil right now, do the rear main seal ($10 from Dan)
2) A shifter rebuild kit (if you have the $)

Check your U-joints...(Get under the car and look at them...try and move them) if they appear to be warn or you can get some serious movement from them, then they should be replaced as well (best time to do it!!).

That should pretty much cover it.

Easiest way to tell if a shop is good or not...tell them it's a Super Coupe Thunderbird with a 5-speed. If they say "Tbirds didn't come with 5-speeds" or "Isn't that one of those turbo charged thingies" then turn your back and run!!!! Check your local Better Business B. and make sure they have a clean record.

TBK,

Mine is a factory 5-speed. So was your problem that you had a weighted flywheel on a shaft that didn't require it? If so, then if I get the McLeod, I might actually make my vibration worse. I'm pretty sure that my vibration issue is in the clutch, so I figure if I have to replace it, I might as well go big, and while I'm in there, might as well throw in a McLeod.

My problem was I used a Duracast crank 1989 donor car....these used a weighted flywheel. When I put my 0 balanced flywheel on there it fixed the problem.

Explain a little more about your vibration, I've done almost every point on alignment of the drivetrain now, so I might be able to pin point it (at least in a general area) for you.

For Example: Does it vibrate at idle and while driving down the road? etc.etc.etc.

If you need a new clutch, and have the extra dough, I say get the aluminum flywheel, you won't be sorry. :)

Well said, TBK. That is what I have been trying to tell this board for over a year now. And Vernon a couple of years. Oh well, ya gotta be hard headed to own one of these cars in the first place! :lol:

Dave,

Your actualy the BIGGEST reason I got it. I know there are a couple of others on the board who talk about theirs, but it was your discussion that really put me over the edge.

Anyway, thanks to EVERYONE who told me about it and said to try it out....I am NOT disappointed.

I figure, since you are in the hard to reach place, you might as well do some good while your in there. Why replace with stock if there is something better out there.

TBK,
I have been discussing my vibration in depth with some of the SCCoO boys up here, and I've been told by a few that have driven my car that I'm just being paranoid, but here goes...

When I take the RPM's up between 3500-5000, the car has a very rumbly vibration to it. It progressively gets louder from 3500 up to 5000 (it's still there, but I try not to go above this). The vibration is pretty constant throughout, but it's the volume that increases. It gets quite loud. My body guy's opinion is that the clutch isn't sitting flat and that it's warped or something, but I think my clutch feels strong, so do some SCCoO guys. I don't want to take it to Ford so they can tell me that they don't know what it is, and that'll be $500 please". At cruising speed, the car feel fine. Except at around 110-120kph but I think this is from an improperly balanced wheel.

I've come to the decision that I'll just wait until something breaks, then put in better parts.

I welcome opinions...

I emailed McLeod about getting one ASAP when I thought I was going to toss one in while the opportunity presented itself. That was over a month ago, and to this day I have not been contacted.

Anyone else have problems dealing with them via email? Maybe when the tranny comes out to re-do the rear main seal I'll consider the swap.

I keep hearing different prices, anyone got a definite?

I didn't swap in a aluminum flywheel...

And I am sorry. Only a few months ago everyone here was real "anti-lighter flywheel". Folks talking about bogging the engine and stuff. But this engine is a torque house, I would think that it would have plenty to spare.

I have a 1995-5-speed and I put in a Centerforce II clutch since that is the "best" clutch they make in the 11.5" disc. I tend to drive my car like a little old lady. When the clutch was first put in, it felt very smooth and very forgiving on engagement. Now many months later, the clutch is slightly "chattery" when accelerating from a stop light. When I had the clutch replaced, I was informed that they went ahead and replaced my Flywheel too. Geez, i know it was covered under warranty but If that was the case, I might have sprung for a lighter flywheel.

The only real reservation I have with a lighter flywheel is the increased transmission of engine vibration. Is this a problem with your 14lbs flywheel? Do you notice more engine vibes?

Just throwing some ideas out here. I'm assuming this is in neutral and/or when driving at those RPM ranges.

Have you checked all of your pullies? Are they all true? Is your harmonic balancer ever so slightly offset? Have you replaced the belt lately?

Obviously you can have a slightly messed up pressure plate or clutch disk. This is rare from my experiences, but it can occur. The likely hood of your flywheel being warped is slim to none....but this doesn't mean it can't occur.

You could have some bearings inside the engine going bad....

---like I said, just thinking out loud here.

Bill,

I was unable to get a response from them via email. This does not supprise me as it seems to be more of a 'good ol' boy' type of store. You can actually call and talk to the owner and designer of these products....so if you have any questions, he can answer them on the phone with you. A direct price from them was $515ish. However, you can get it from Summit or a local supplier for $420ish (this varies on suppliers). When you talk to McLeod, get a local place that will not charge you much for shipping or handling....Summit will almost kill you with it. :)

Deep6,

I can safely say that I have noticed a HUGH performance gain with this mod. The only real difference is it is a bit harder to break it loose at lower RPMs, but as soon as you get above 2000rpm it shoves you into your seat. And who really drives these cars below that!!! It's rather difficult for me to say what a true "stock" flywheel would feel like since I was having a problem with mine in the first place. However, I can say this. Compared to a flywheel with a 50oz offset weight, this thing is SMOOTH! Seriously though, I have noticed no more than normal 3.8L V6 idle vibration. When you get higher RPMs (highway speeds) you can not tell a difference until you shove your foot to the floor and feel the pull.

Again, I would highly recommend this to anyone who has the $, time, and desire to do it.

P.S. - Anyone who is anti aluminum flywheel has obviously NOT tried it in the SC!

Back