Is there a way to set what rpm my gears will shift?

layinthesmack31

This may be a dumb question but i was wondering if there is a way to set what rpm's my car will shift at? I have a automatic 90 SC and it seems like it shifts at too low an rpm. Anyone who knows how to do this or has any suggestions please let me know. Oh and i do have a shift kit in it. thanks
Matt

You can get an eec tuner and program a file to change the shift points, or you could just shift it yourself and save $400

Start off in 1st. When it gets to the rpm you want, shift it into drive which will put you in second. Put it back into 1st, then when you want to shift from 2nd to third put it back into drive. When you want to go from 3rd to 4th, put it into od

And thats how you control every shift point of your automatic

Well you can shift the way as stated above, but your aod won't last too long doing that. When shifting back into 1st the o/d band engages and it gets worn out after a while. I'm sure many of people on this board are familiar with what I'm talking about.

Red light's flashing warning sirens sounding!!

DO NOT DO THE 1-2-1 (AKA 1-D-1)

That is the best way I know how to mess up your transmission.

Never shift the car like that.

Jeff

PS. Don't shift the car from 1st to drive (there isn't a 2nd slot on the AOD), and back to first you will kill the transmission

What kind of shiftkit do you have, and who installed it?
I have a TransGo shiftkit, and mine shifts fast at 5300 rpms every gear ever since the install.

MadMerc: Which shiftkit do you have? I have the trans-go stage 2 one and it shifts where you say yours shifts. I am curious if the stage 1 and stage 2 kits make that much of a difference

Ditto what J57ltr said...

There is an article at TCCOA about AODs which covers why manually shifting it is bad for it. I can also vouch from experience that even downshifting O/D->D is a problem. Best thing to do is intall a shift kit to change the shift points.

I have a B&M

I have a B&M shift improver kit and a guy on here said that that was better than the trans go in his SC so i went with that. it seems like the car shifts real good when it shifts from first to second but when it goes into 3rd it shifts and like 2500 rpm's if i dont get on it and i am like this sucks cause if i am not getting on it it dogs. thats why i was wondering if there is an easy way to set what it shifts at. so is there anyone out there that has the eec tuner and are from the west michigan area that would help me out? well thanks everyone.
Matt

You can do the adjustment right at the throttle body. You have one cable that controls the accel. and the other one controls the tran shift point all on the throttle body lever.

Kurt Sr

how do i do it?

is there any way u can give me instructions on how to adjust where it shifts at or what would be the best way to go about it? that is probably the problem because the shift kit makes it shift harder but it just seems like it shifts way to soon. thanks
Matt

OK, Matt let me see if this will be good enough....

Take a look at your throttle body,off to the left side you will see two cable hooked to the lever. One is non-adjustable and the other is adjustable. Non-adjustable is the throttle cable from the throttle peddle. The other is adjustable and is the detent valve cable going to the trans. This adjusts the shift point for your AOD.

The trans cable end(at the throttle body) looks like this.. it has a black housing with a white tooth piece running threw it locked by a steel clip.

Push the steel clip back and off, pull the white tooth piece toward you about 2-3 teeth at a time this will change the shift point on all the gears for a longer shift time. If you push it the other way(IN) in will shortin your shift time. Remember to replace the clip every time you do a adjustment.

What you are doing by adjusting this Cable is making it harder for the valve body in the trans to over come the pressure of the detent valve and making the trans work a little harder to over come the detent valve. Don't worry this will not hurt the trans unless you adjust it way to far out for it to shift at all.

Sorry about the spelling but I think I may have givin you a Idea of what to do and where to find it.....

Kurt Sr

With an AOD the only valvebody that allows you to shift up or down in each gear and hold them for as long as you like is the Lentech street terminator w/ electric OD delete. It cost around $350 and worth every penny.

Here is a link.

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/

David

Last edited:
Tazer999 said:
MadMerc: Which shiftkit do you have? I have the trans-go stage 2 one and it shifts where you say yours shifts. I am curious if the stage 1 and stage 2 kits make that much of a difference

I have the Trans-Go Stage 2.

Back