Headgasket Questions...

darkstar_one

Hey dudes,

I have a couple of headgasket questions. First of all.

[1] Is this the correct fel-pro headgasket set? FEL-PRO #HS9642PT

[2] Is this the correct ARP Head Stud Set that Doesnt require cutting down the bolts to clear the exhaust manifolds? ARP 233-4303 CHEVY V6 kit

[3] What is the recommended torque specs for the ARP HEAD STUD kit?

[4] When installing them, do you just finger tighten the studs?

[5] Do you add teflon sealer to the threads of the studs?

Anything else i should know about?

[6] can you put the heads on with those studs installed and the engine being in the car?

I got my head studs from Super Coupe Performance and had NO problems with them.

The studs that work best are 2.8L V6 Chevy studs. I am not sure on the part number. They should come with instructions on how to install them.

I believe the part number you listed for the fel-pro head gasket set is correct. Some of the gaskets in there you may not need like water pump. I pulled mine off to look at the impeller, but I didn't need to.

3 - The instructions say somewhere around 60+ Ft lbs when you tighten the nuts down on the studs. Ive heard people here say to tighten it down more like 95-100 ft lbs.

4 - Finger tight ?? If you have strong hands. You should chase the threads with a tap first to clear out rust / debris. There is an allen head fitting on the top of the stud so you can screw it in with that by hand.

5 - I didnt use sealer .. you would use that usually if they go through a water jacket. There is moly lube with the studs .. usually it goes on the washer / nut so you can tighten it down to spec.

- Dan

the reason i ask about the sealer, is because whe i pulled off the heads on both my 90 and 91, 2 of the 8 bolts on each side were drown in thick oil... like it got in there... so maybe i should use it?

ohh yeah and im doing them all the way to 85-95 ft lbs, i dont really trust it to 60ft lbs after taking off my heads yesterday. thanks dudes.

As for the nuts... so long as you use the molly lube, you should be good to go to sequence them up to 75 ft lbs. If your using engine oil to lube the nuts, then you need to go higher to 85 according to the ARP web site I think.

As for the studs, I think all the short ones needed the sealant on them, thats according to the shop manual. I just lightly tightened them up with an allen wrench after chasing the threads out as previously mentioned.

You could visit the ARP site and get the specs for using the studs there.

Rol

I wonder about ROL?
>If you run aluminum heads, (which I know you aren't...yet), I like graphite gaskets like ROL napa's brand. As they allow for some "sliding" as will occor with the different thermal expansion rates between iron and aluminum.<

the reason i ask about the sealer, is because whe i pulled off the heads on both my 90 and 91, 2 of the 8 bolts on each side were drown in thick oil... like it got in there... so maybe i should use it?
ohh yeah and im doing them all the way to 85-95 ft lbs, i dont really trust it to 60ft lbs after taking off my heads yesterday. thanks dudes.

Anybody know about his oil on the bolts question I had the same issue when I pulled my heads off, is this a problem, normal or what??

The oil on the threads of the bolts are normal. I have used sealant on the bottom bolts before with no problems. I have not used sealant on the bottom bolts before with no problems. Which is correct I'm not sure. I do remember reading that sealant should be used but I was told by someone else not to use it...

Back