New SC Owner, Have questions concerning wipers, eec computer, and clunk from RR

fordman54935

Hi everyone, I just bought a 94 SC (auto) and I love it. The car is in fantastic condition and runs perfectly, but there are a few little problems I need to fix. Any input on what you think the problems might be would be greatly appreciated.

First off, the windshield washer doesn't spray, and the HI-speed wipers dont work. I'm assuming this would probably indicate that a couple functions on the multi-function turn signal switch are bad. Is the unit hard to replace?

Second, where is the EEC computer in these cars? It has a Hypertech chip in it that I would like to take out (the transmission shifts a little too firmly for my taste).

Lastly, there is a "clunk" sound from the right rear when the car hits certain bumps. Everything appears to be tight back there, no broken swaybar links or anything, could it be the rear shocks? When I turn the "firm ride" on with the car sitting still, I hear a slight clunk that sounds similar to the noise I hear going down the road.

Thanks to everyone here for contributing to this awesome website.

"Second, where is the EEC computer in these cars? It has a Hypertech chip in it that I would like to take out (the transmission shifts a little too firmly for my taste)."

It is located on the passenger side kick panel. you may have to remove your glove box to get at it.

my 94 sc makes sounds from the rear as well. Cant figure it out, so i just gave up.
My fix: Install new headunit, amp, and speakers :p

-Nick

Jack up the right rear and remove the wheel. Grab the shock and see if it moves front to back. I had to replace the lower shock mount bushings in my 91. Would clunk everytime I hit a bump
Mike

Mght also want to check the front pinion bushings of the differential. Also the sway bar mounting isolators (bushings). Someone may have installed poly in those places and it is worn out or even the OEM bushings are shot.

That clunk you hear, is it more of a click? In my 93 I can hear the click of the relay for the automatic ride control module turning on the firm ride in the trunk. It also makes that sound if you manually turn on the firm ride. So whenever it automatically turns on you would hear it, such as when turning, braking hard, and also at 90% WOT or whatever it is exactly.

The multi-function turn signal switch is easy to replace.
You need to remove the plastic cover from the steering colum (two screws recessed on the underside) once you get that off there are two screws (top and bottom) holding the switch to the colum, remove those, disconnect the plugs (3) and it should come right out.

-Andrew

The clunk that i hear isnt a click. It almost sounds like the exhaust is loose and flopping around when i hit bumps. I got under there and looked a few times, and nothing seems to be loose. The noise is the worst below 35mph on bumpy streets. It doesnt bother me much tho, i just turn up the stereo.
-Nick

That clunk you hear, is it more of a click? In my 93 I can hear the click of the relay for the automatic ride control module turning on the firm ride in the trunk. It also makes that sound if you manually turn on the firm ride. So whenever it automatically turns on you would hear it, such as when turning, braking hard, and also at 90% WOT or whatever it is exactly.

That makes sense, it does sound like a relay turning on/off. Thanks for the input from all you guys, you really know your stuff.

The clunk that i hear isnt a click. It almost sounds like the exhaust is loose and flopping around when i hit bumps. I got under there and looked a few times, and nothing seems to be loose. The noise is the worst below 35mph on bumpy streets. It doesnt bother me much tho, i just turn up the stereo.
-Nick

Couldnt have said it better myself. I'll have to check out the lower shock mount bushings like 99GSXR750 suggested.

Also jack up the rear wheels and see if you can wobble the wheels at all. The rear wheel bearings are a sealed bearing pressed into a bore just like a front wheel drive car. They fail over time and since the knuckle they are pressed into is aluminum, it can wobble out the opening and create noise.

Rear diff mount could be busted out, pretty common as well.

Wiper and washers, could be the switch. The motor can be hard to get to. The pump for the squirter is in the fluid tank. You can just put 12v to those wires to see if the pump will run. don't forget to check simple stuff like fuses, check the condition of the fuseboxes too.

Also jack up the rear wheels and see if you can wobble the wheels at all. The rear wheel bearings are a sealed bearing pressed into a bore just like a front wheel drive car. They fail over time and since the knuckle they are pressed into is aluminum, it can wobble out the opening and create noise.

Rear diff mount could be busted out, pretty common as well.

Wiper and washers, could be the switch. The motor can be hard to get to. The pump for the squirter is in the fluid tank. You can just put 12v to those wires to see if the pump will run. don't forget to check simple stuff like fuses, check the condition of the fuseboxes too.

Before I bought the car, i had it up on jackstands and shook all the wheels to check for any play, and they all felt tight. Also, concerning the wipers, they work in the low-speed position, so I'm assuming the wiper motor is OK. Can the washer pump wiring be accessed from under the front bumper? I couldnt really see much from on top.

You should be able to , though I've never tried. I took one out at a salvage yard and just unbolted it from top and lifted it out. The radiator might have been missing though, can't recall, which would have made it easier.

Back