Oil out the Dipstick

Mvortec24

My '93 SC is launching oil out of the dipstick any ideas on why this could happen?
Oil levels are normal when checked so I am out of ideas. :confused:

Sounds like possible blow-by. My BMW had that, I had to replace the rings and PCV system (Bimmers don't have PCV valves)

-Dave

I think I have the same problem except for instead of oil coming out of the dipstick tube I think its blowing out the oil pan gasket instead :(

Shane

My car does the same thing. Its rings. Do a basic rebuild with some total seal gapless rings. The stock rings suck, especially if you drive the car hard.

Bad valve guides.

Brand new guides in my rebuilt and ported heads with fresh valve seals.. Definitly worn rings causing blowby

Last edited:
OK then, 'bad valve guides' is out. Therefore, I concur with the rest: Bad rings. The 'Total Seal' recommendation is the right choice.

Since we are talking about getting new piston rings here does anyone have the part number for the Total Seal gapless rings for our cars?

Shane

this is what the website pulls up but somebody will correct me if I am wrong

Gapless 2nd
T7174

Conv Ring
CR7174

There was no # for the top ring

The summit racing part number for the total seal ring kit for the Supercoupe (89-95) is TSR-T7174 $178.69. That is for the stock bore. If you have overbored the engine, you'll have to change the part number. For example, a .030 overbore needs to use TSR-T7174-30

I'm going with these on my bottom end rebuild, along with new .030 over Sealed Power pistons. These pistons are slightly stronger, and lighter than stock, and come with coated skirts. Should be good for anything under 400whp ish with no nirous..

I rebult my bottom end about 20k miles ago. I reused the original pistons, honed the cylinders and installed new factory ford rings. Worked great for a the first 10k or so, then started to blow by shortly after installing the MP blower and plenum with a smaller pulley. The car has been making 345.5 rwhp and 402.8 rwtq for about the last 10k miles, and I drive it hard. Had I kept the stock '92 blower on the car, it would probably still be ok. But the OEM style rings weren't meant for those types of cylinder pressures, and will eventually blow by.

Jeramie

I guess now the question for me is do I want to over bore my block or leave it stock. I think I would rather leave it stock bore for now. Is there a set of good forged pistons out there that replaces the factory pistons?

Shane

I think there is. But unless you are spraying nitrous, or running over 400 rwhp you really don't need them. If you are at the point which you need them, you probably should be running a stronger rod too. You can get custom SC pistons all day long for the 5.956" 351 windsor rods, and those rods can be had on Ebay for around $150 in I-Beam form for a v8 set (you get two extra paperweights). I've seen them for $250-$300 ish H-beams too.

When I did my first rebuild I didnt' overbore. I wish I would have, because by time you properly hone the cylinders, you end up with ring gaps that are pretty loose (at the very loosest end of factory tolerances, some of mine were just out of spec)

Also, overboring a bit is a good way to make sure your cylinders are perfectly round.

Just food for thought.

Jeramie

Chances are no,,Remove your oil fill cap..When ist running if you feel alot of pressure comming out there....Its most probably the rings

I am currently going thru a rebuild and am finding that if you go with a 1/16 thick ring set your selection opens up. My bore is +.020 and Total Seal has AP chrome rings with a Chrome Nitride coating which are made for highly boosted or nitrous engines. My pistons are machined for 1.5mm thick rings - so I am machining them to .063" and going with the AP rings. I believe the stock pistons take the 1.5mm rings thus the ring selection is limited.

If you are looking for pistons and/or rings, get with Dave Dalke of SuperCoupes Unlimited - he can get you some Wiesco forged pistons with performance rings in them.

Mike

Back