brakes

Agree with above. I used to warp rotors left and right with my first 93LX. I tried three different parts houses, and they all warp pretty evenly at about the same time. I eventually rotated between two sets, turning and keeping the warped ones for quick turn spares:) :) Good thing rotors are easy on these things.

Agree also. I've had very good success with Advanced Auto's brand "Wearever" (made in China, of course). About $25 a pop - not worth having them turned at that price.

Cross drilled

Agree with above. I used to warp rotors left and right with my first 93LX. I tried three different parts houses, and they all warp pretty evenly at about the same time. I eventually rotated between two sets, turning and keeping the warped ones for quick turn spares:) :) Good thing rotors are easy on these things.

I did the same thing with my '97 LX, switching front rotors when they would warp. The problem stopped when I switched to KVR cross drilled rotors. I have the KVR's on the SC too.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Thats funny, I just bought some wearever rotors and pads for the wifes Explorer. 52K miles including some towing and they are just now starting to show the slightest bit of warping. Im going to do the same rotor swap and spare thing to this one. Except the Explorer rotors are 57 bucks each :eek: at Advance.

O'Reilly's supposedly have the lifetime warranty rotors...somewhere around 40 bux. supposedly...i wouldn't know.

the only problem I have with ford rotors is that they warp if you dont "season" them properly.

with any rotor you get from any parts store i would recommend getting them cut, right off the bat. You wouldnt believe how many rotors from the parts stores are warped.

Putting new rotors on a machine to check the run-out sounds like a very good idea on cheap rotors. However if you cut them, they do seem to warp more rapidly. I had no better success with KVR (cadmium plated and all) & at $100 + a pop I gave up on them. Same thing with the larger Mark 8 12.57" rotors and calipers. Other than converting to 13" rotors I've found that the PBR calipers on the stock rotors lasts the best.

MY KVR rotors also warped after time. Seasoned them in, torqued the lug nuts properly, and never washed the car with hot rotors. I have NAPA gold on there now. Tbird rotors just seem to warp over time.
I have had good luck with Autozone and Advance rotors on other cars.

Brake upgrade

Talking about brakes I just got a set of 93+ spindals with the hub and I was woundering what year mustang calipers I need to finish my upgrade? do they have to be cobra calipers?:confused: Is there an upgrade for the rear brakes also?

roter update

I bought some new roters off ebay. new roters, all 4 for 147 (shipping included) they are just cross drilled and they have an 'anti-rust coating'. I dont know what difference that will make concidering they are constitly used...lol. I will let u guys know how they work once I get them, install them, and use them. If they dont work good...I'm hopeing the look good...lol

This is off topic, but I've always just bought the cheap Chinese rotors from Autozone for my cars. I used to burn through rotors on my old '92 base until I took the drums in the back apart and realized they weren't doing much of anything to stop the car. Rear drums fixed, warping problem gone. The moral of the story is that while most consider the brakes on these cars to be undersized (I do too), they should not be constantly warping front rotors if both the front and rear brakes are working properly (I've seen a number of frozen rear calipers) and you are just doing normal street driving.

Talking about brakes I just got a set of 93+ spindals with the hub and I was woundering what year mustang calipers I need to finish my upgrade? do they have to be cobra calipers?:confused: Is there an upgrade for the rear brakes also?

To answer your questions:

1) No they don't have to be Cobra Calipers. You can use a standard caliper from a 99 or newer Mustang V6 or GT (same for both). They are a twin piston, aluminum caliper that is far superior to the T-bird caliper. And they will fit the standard T-bird rotor. There is a lot written up on the swap at tccoa.com. This link will get you started. The KVR calipers in the write up are the same calipers as the PBR calipers that Ford put on the 99 and Newer Mustangs. To use the Cobra calipers you need to get the larger rotors, and 17" wheels.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/brakes/kvr_install/index.shtml

The only rear upgrade that I can think of (providing you already have the rear discs) is to get some adapters that will allow you to mount your current rear calipers on the larger Cobra rear rotors. (After the Cobra rotors have been drilled to fit the T-bird hubs).

Back