Question about ARP head studs.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
In researching the head stud kits 233-4303 there is also the 233-4003. The difference being a 12 point nut versus a 6 point nut. Is there any kind of an advantage to using the 12 point nut? I was just wondering.

for the torque levels of our heads, I'd say there is no need for a 12 point nut. Such a nut would even out the stress on the nut, important when you're torquing the heck out of something. At least that is how I understand it.

You know it's funny you bring this up. I contacted ARP with the same question after a certain vendor here tried to convince me that the 12 points are better than the 6 points. Well according to ARP's tech support there is no difference. They told me if you have 12 point sockets then use the 12 point nuts and if you have 6 point sockets use the 6 point nuts. Not really the answer I had expected. The vendor who told me that lie lost all credibility in my eyes:rolleyes:

Bryan

There is a difference relevant to engine building and I am almost shocked that ARP didn't tell you. A 12 point nut takes a much smaller socket which is a BIG deal on certain applications and that is the primary reason for using it. The 12 point nut is able to use the smaller socket while still maintaining the same minimum material thickness at it's thinnest point when compared to the same nut in 6 point. It's not a big deal on an SC because we have lots of room.

Then there is no reason not to get the 6 point nuts especially since they are $10 cheaper per set? I was thinking it had something to do with the torque like Mike mentioned. A fitment issue never occured to me.

There is a difference relevant to engine building and I am almost shocked that ARP didn't tell you. A 12 point nut takes a much smaller socket which is a BIG deal on certain applications and that is the primary reason for using it. The 12 point nut is able to use the smaller socket while still maintaining the same minimum material thickness at it's thinnest point when compared to the same nut in 6 point. It's not a big deal on an SC because we have lots of room.

I see your point Dave. It is a matter of clearance between the nut and surrounding interfering material. The 12 point allows one to utilize thin wall sockets. But the 12 point doesn't have any superior qualities over the 6 point like the questionable vendor told me. I believe it was more of a matter of what stock he had on hand verses what he would have to order.

Bryan

Back