PDA

View Full Version : Magnum Powers Announces New Blower for the SC!

XR7 Dave
01-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Labeled the MP-Extreme or MPX for short, Charles Warner has taken the MPIII design to the next level in order to offer the SC community the last word on the M90!

Charles started with the MPIII port design, and then cast a completely new case out of 356 aluminum which is much stronger and far more rigid than a modified OE case making the M90 more reliable than ever particularly at high rpms. The new case is one piece, it has no silencing ports, and it is machined to more exacting tolerances than the original cases were. No more sending in your core for modifications. All you need to do is split your case and slide your rotors into this case. Or, if you prefer, Charles can get you very low mileage (like new) GTP rotors and install them so all you have to do is attach your nose piece. It's a cool idea and a cool product. I believe Charles has these parts on the shelf now and the price is lower than you think. Contact Magnum Powers (http://www.magnumpowers.com) for pricing information.

The reason I'm posting this information rather than Charles is that Kevin Leitem and I have been doing testing for him and he wanted to wait until I was done before making any announcements. Having said that I will get to the part that I have been involved with.

Kevin ran the MPX blower on his car vs. his MPIII on the same track, on the same day. He found that his car was .20 seconds quicker with the MPX when run back to back with his MPIII. This happened late in the year and while Kevin didn't run the 10 sec time that he hoped for, it looked promising for the new blower. It was after this that Charles contacted me to see if I could do some dyno testing on the blower. I said "sure" and so here we are.

The car we used for testing has 8.9:1 compression, ported heads, and a cam that specs 224 dur, .580" lift. It's a mild cam really, it barely lopes and provides very crisp throttle response. The car has the stock (but ported) intake, stock return adapter, MPFMIC, headers, Snow system, and a full exhaust (2.5-3.0-2.5). With the MP inlet plenum feeding an MPI blower running at 20% OD the car made 345rwhp @ 15.5psi boost.

With the MPX blower (complete with GTP rotors) at 25% OD, the car made 384rwhp @ 19.0psi. It is worth noting that even though we only increased OD by 5% we picked up a whole lot of boost. The boost comes on quickly and the full 19psi is achieved by 3500rpm and holds strong all the way to 6300rpm which is the highest we took this motor.

Part of the key to our success with this combination is the right selection of pulleys. We used the MP 10% 8 rib crank pulley along with a 10% ESM 10 Rib JS pulley and a custom made 10 rib 5% blower pulley. The belts used are Gates Green Stripe K120400 (you have to trim off 2 ribs to use this belt) and K080435 and we installed MP tensioner springs in both blower tensioners. It is my opinion that we were not getting any appreciable belt slip with this combination.

I feel it is important that people get as many facts as possible when looking at what is available and deciding where to spend their money. It is for this reason that I have taken the step to help out in bringing a new product to market for which I personally stand to gain nothing other than the experience of having worked with it. I want to help not only those yet to make a decision on a new blower, but also those who have already made a decision and may have met with less than total success with it. We have shown 2 things in this testing. 1) the MPIII design is capable of making an effective 18-20psi on even a highly modded SC and 2) we can do it without belt slip.

I have spoken with Charles about the pulley setup on this car and we agree that it pretty much exemplifies the RIGHT way to run your MPIII. Magnum Powers already offers the 10% crank pulley and Charles is doing the R&D right now to be able to offer a 10% JS pulley and 10 rib 5% blower pulley. We agree that with these parts it is completely reasonable for anyone with an MPIII to expect the same or similar results with their car compared to what we have achieved here and continue to do it on a regular and ongoing basis. Not just for a couple dyno pulls or trips down the 1/4 mile.

If you have an MPIII or you expect to possibly purchase an MPX over the next couple months and would like to also get a pulley system that will work reliably with it, please post on our poll so we can see what the need might be so that Charles can plan production.

Over-all I am very pleased with the results. We gained almost 40hp in exchange for 3.5psi increase in boost and as you all know, once you get above 350rwhp the gains don't come easy. Personally I feel that the power level this car is at is completely attainable for anyone else in the club. There is nothing trick about this car and in fact there are some things that are less than ideal (like the exhaust) but even so the results have been great. I'm very happy with the car and it is a blast to drive. Now just to get it over to a dyno jet and see if we can add to the peak number. :D

David Neibert
01-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Impressive results Dave.

BTW, What transmission was in the test car ?

David

Payton
01-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Impressive results Dave.

BTW, What transmission was in the test car ?

David

"The car already had a good late model J-modded tranny and 2600 stall converter with 3.73 gears", according to Dave's post:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83875

XxSlowpokexX
01-11-2007, 02:08 AM
How much? New case nice

Payton
01-11-2007, 02:21 AM
How much? New case nice

I believe not much more than a "smiling" MP3. There is no gap in between rotors and the case...they are so tight! Plus, you get a brand new case, which is great! Also, you can get it with coated rotors...best of two worlds!:o

Good to see more and more go-fast parts appearing in the market that will help us to stay competitive with some newer cars out there!

rzimmerl
01-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Is there a new intake plenum that goes with the MPX?

Payton
01-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Is there a new intake plenum that goes with the MPX?

You have to use MP3 intake

XR7 Dave
01-11-2007, 10:32 AM
The car had the 4R70W transmsission and the converter was locked for all runs. I went to great pains to try and make sure that all parameters were as equal as possible on all runs to try to eliminate errors due to heat soak, air temps, etc. I have logged all the data for posterity as well so it can be looked at later if anyone has questions. I will post some logs later as well as the dyno charts.

The blower case will be sold with a new MPIII plenum for less than the cost of the MPIII conversion that was offered previously. Anything more specific than that and you'll have to contact Charles.

Payton, you know something I don't????

Toms-SC
01-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Alright, so the cliff notes form is

-It's a new case/same style MP III port
-No air silencers
-New pulley combo
-Coated rotors

Correct?

XR7 Dave
01-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Yep, that about sums it up. For those who have an MPIII already I think the pulley combination is a must, and the coated rotors are an upgrade. Charles and I both feel that 25% OD is the hot ticket for this blower design and if you have ported heads and cam then the coated rotors would be the next step.

As long as you have a good IC the boost level you are seeing at the motor is not going to be a problem. If you have a stock motor and are seeing 22psi it isn't a big deal (unless your headgaskets are still stock) because a large portion of the boost you are seeing is only restriction in the intake ports and doesn't represent what is actually going on in the cylinder. The only real drawback to running very high boost on a stock motor is that the blower has to work a little harder and therefore outlet temps will be a little higher. But as mentioned, a good IC will take care of that easily.

One thing worthy of note that was determined through this testing is that poly-rib belts do not ever grip 100%. There is always slip whenever there is a change in rpm. I have witnessed belt slip with this combination even during normal part throttle operation. I believe that a certain amount of belt "squirm" is normal and to be expected. In the case of this test we found that we were seeing 3.5% belt slip at all rpm's during a WOT run. This is not to be confused with massive slip due to loss of belt traction. We feel that this small % of slip is inherent of the polyrib belt design and is to be expected. There were no signs of any additional belt slip at any point of our testing. Our results were dead consistent and did not vary with rpm or boost.

XR7 Dave
01-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I was impressed with the way the boost came on quickly and remained steady throughout the rpm band. The boost was pretty much constant from 3500rpm on up. Because this car is an automatic it is difficult to load the motor below that rpm for a long enough time to get boost up. On the street boost and 3500rpm happen pretty much instantaneously regardless of the driving situation. There is no sensation of lag or delay at any point in time.

pablon2
01-11-2007, 12:50 PM
I don't see prices or the MPX on Charles' site. I guess we literally have to contact Charles.

XR7 Dave
01-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't see prices or the MPX on Charles' site. I guess we literally have to contact Charles.For now yes, he will have additions to his website up in a day or two.

pablon2
01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
For now yes, he will have additions to his website up in a day or two.

Oh, one other thing....is it nice and loud? :D

XR7 Dave
01-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh, one other thing....is it nice and loud? :D

When I first put it on I was like "DAYUM!" But I think it has settled in a little. Either that or I got used to it. It's loud, there is no mistaking it but that's what we want, right?

mega_man_01103
01-11-2007, 01:20 PM
IT probably wont but Ill ask anyway.

Since the car tested was an automatic, do you expect the same results with a 5 speed?

Do you see any problems with "launching" in regards to belt slipping?

RAUL

lilredstang
01-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Ok, so it produces better numbers than the MPIII is louder and costs less? SHAAAAWIIIINNNNG!:D
Hey Dave, what kind of gains do you think this will have on my beast?(TOTALY STOCK orginal 1989 220,000 mile leaky M90:rolleyes: ) I will be tossing the liquid IC and going with a FMIC in the spring. Is there an estimated cost on this yet?

pablon2
01-11-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm curious to know how much air this MPX moves at 25% OD compared to an M112 spinning at 0% OD. With the M90 being modded to the point of putting out 2x+ it's normal capacity in CFM it has to be getting close to surpassing if not exceeding the stock M112 output.

XxSlowpokexX
01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Has anyone thought of using the friction coatings that can be applied to pulley surfaces???

BLOWN38
01-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Got the crank pulley and springs Get me the rest of the pulleys, belts and a snow inj. and i'll be set.

Dave, some heads and cam would be nice to before the spring.

XR7 Dave
01-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Got the crank pulley and springs Get me the rest of the pulleys, belts and a snow inj. and i'll be set.

Dave, some heads and cam would be nice too before the spring.

Chris, I've kept my mouth shut about your heads up to this point because I didn't want to make empty promises but they are ported and getting decked as we speak. :)

All the pulleys that Charles does are media blasted and then hard annodized which results in a much better and harder surface than a coating would be. One thing that you must keep in mind with these belts is that if they are intended to slip a little here and there then too aggressive of a finish will result in increased wear on the belts. From my testing it is my opinion that a little slip is inherent with with this belt design. We saw about 3-3.5% difference in blower speed vs. crank speed under all conditions other than steady state so that means to me that even a brand new stock belt is going to slip under normal driving. I feel this is normal and to be expected and most likely attempts to eliminate this "squirm" of the belt will most likely be destructive to the belts.

On a 5spd I would expect about 5% higher power numbers or another 15rwhp. I expect we would have hit 400rwhp with a 5spd car. Launching will be difficult no matter what as the boost comes on so quick you are going to obliterate any tires you put on it. I expect it to be at least as difficult to launch as my car was and it was tearing up 9" slicks.

How much air the blower moves is a combination of its VE and displacement. An M90 at 25% OD should in theory move about the same amount of air as an M112 at stock drive ratio. Of course blower VE and belt slip will play a factor in that.

This blower should provide about 100rwhp gain from a stock early style blower. You should go from about 10psi to about 19psi @ 6000rpm. Of course all the other things will have to be in place to support that increase of power. For example, the car we tested it on was running 80% duty cycle on 60lb injectors. 50lb injectors would be at 96% duty cycle under the same conditions.

Toms-SC
01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
It should be made very, very VERY clear to the buyer that these results are all dependent on the heads and cam.

Roadhawg
01-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Since new items are being developed. Why not switch to cogged pulley on the M90.Then go with a Jackshaft pulley that is ribbed for the crankshaft and cogged to the M90.

Toms-SC
01-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Since new items are being developed. Why not switch to cogged pulley on the M90.Then go with a Jackshaft pulley that is ribbed for the crankshaft and cogged to the M90.

It's been done before:
A) You use a ton of belts
2) Loud
3) You snap your input shaft for the blower
4) It would move the belt slip else where

Payton
01-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Payton, you know something I don't????
I hope not:p C'on, Dave, I was just helping out:o

pablon2
01-11-2007, 05:59 PM
How much air the blower moves is a combination of its VE and displacement. An M90 at 25% OD should in theory move about the same amount of air as an M112 at stock drive ratio. Of course blower VE and belt slip will play a factor in that.

This blower should provide about 100rwhp gain from a stock early style blower. You should go from about 10psi to about 19psi @ 6000rpm. Of course all the other things will have to be in place to support that increase of power. For example, the car we tested it on was running 80% duty cycle on 60lb injectors. 50lb injectors would be at 96% duty cycle under the same conditions.

David, do you think the 80mm C&L maf is fine with the MPX or should people upgrade to the 85mm?

XxSlowpokexX
01-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Ive run the hard coat anodized jackshaft pulley on my sc as well as the one with a friction coating..Seems the friction coated one worked better..Could be many other variables but it was just my observation on the SC. I have noticed a substantial difference with small blower pulleys on centrifigal units at high rpm's

Was just a thought..I'm personally not worried about a lil extra belt wear if I'm running 25% on a blower

XR7 Dave
01-11-2007, 06:46 PM
David, do you think the 80mm C&L maf is fine with the MPX or should people upgrade to the 85mm?

The 80MM has plenty of headroom and is a perfect match for 60lb injectors.

Ira R.
01-11-2007, 06:54 PM
The 80MM has plenty of headroom and is a perfect match for 60lb injectors.

Juts as a follow up, I imagine the best match would be the MP 85mm TB, but for those who already have a 75mm who are wondering if they must upgrade, will it be enough to support this?

Ira

Kevin Leitem
01-11-2007, 11:09 PM
I am glad to see that i am now able to talk about the MPX. It is indeed a great new blower. I wish I had more time at the end of the year to really see what this had in it. but the rain just would not allow us to run! I unfortunately can't say too much about it other than when i put the. the 11.05 was ran on the MPIII, a few weeks went by and we got rained out each week. finially on the last week I got to run. starting with the MPX. I made a few runs all in the low 11.30's. I was really bummed out and thought that this new thing was not as good as the MPIII. I so desperstely wanted a 10 second slip and i said screw it i am putting the MPIII back on since I knew it already ran 11.0's. well I put it on and ran a slew of mid 11.50's!!! But with the MPX I was seeing about 1-1.5 pounds more boost. I know that if i had the MPX on when the engine was running solid it would have been in the 10.80's if not better.

92bird
01-12-2007, 01:23 AM
pics pics pics :cool:

90blkbrd
01-12-2007, 12:38 PM
When you say cheaper than a MPIII you weren't kidding!!!!

XxSlowpokexX
01-12-2007, 03:47 PM
The price is? !!! Link on MP site isnt workin

lilredstang
01-12-2007, 03:49 PM
pics pics pics :cool:

I agree. A pic. is worth a thousand words. Lets see what we are getting.

pablon2
01-12-2007, 03:52 PM

$36,985 - $56,238 + $25369 - $4991 = MPx price

joshbea6
01-12-2007, 04:03 PM
so for those mathmatically challenged......$1125

XxSlowpokexX
01-12-2007, 04:16 PM
It gets a +5 for stealth appearence....Just want to see what that m112 can do:O)

pablon2
01-12-2007, 04:35 PM

Link works now, still no pic though. I'm sure Charles will add a pic as soon as he is able.

Kevin Leitem
01-12-2007, 05:13 PM
i will try to get some pics of mine tonight for you guys

XxSlowpokexX
01-12-2007, 06:01 PM
I wa sthinking this may be the key to my v8 m90 SC kit I have,,However I'd just need the case

SRT-4
01-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I will have to call about this, can I get it with package #2

dklitzke
01-12-2007, 09:25 PM
I plan to put a Supersix long rod 4.3 in my '95 automatic in a year or so when I have the budget, and this sounds like the right blower upgrade to compliment it. So I voted that I want one with the pulleys.

Don:D

Mike8675309
01-13-2007, 02:21 AM
I'm interested, but man, too many things coming out and I'm still waiting to put my motor together based on plans from 2 years ago.

XR7 Dave
01-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Finally got to put the car on a Dyno Jet tonight. I know some people like to fuss about the accuracy of one dyno over another so I won't get into that but the fact is that all the top #'s on the SCCOA list are all Dyno Jet numbers so it's nice to compare apples to apples. If there is one thing that can be said about a dyno jet it is that the numbers they make are very consistent from shop to shop which makes for the best internet comparisons that you can hope for.

Having said that, the car ran well despite crappy conditions. It was about 60 deg in the shop and raining outside. Humidity was most likely 100% as the dyno was correcting up to get SAE numbers.

Anyway, the car made 440rwtq and 379rwhp with the converter unlocked and 414rwtq and 391rwhp with the converter locked. As you can see an auto car will always benefit from torque multiplication down low and if it can't lock up it will lose Hp on top. That's enough HP to take out Chris Wise as the highest HP SC recorded and verified on a dyno with an M90. Of course it's not legal for the list as we were using alcohol injection but I think it's a fair comparison to show just how far we have come. On a better day with some more tweaking I think 400rwhp would have been possible.

That officially concludes all the testing that this car will see. The weather has been really crappy here and the car needs to get back to its' owner. So now I think the race should be on to see who can be the first to crack the 400rwhp barrier with an M90. :D It's very doable.

quick35th
01-13-2007, 03:13 AM
Finally got to put the car on a Dyno Jet tonight. I know some people like to fuss about the accuracy of one dyno over another so I won't get into that but the fact is that all the top #'s on the SCCOA list are all Dyno Jet numbers so it's nice to compare apples to apples. If there is one thing that can be said about a dyno jet it is that the numbers they make are very consistent from shop to shop which makes for the best internet comparisons that you can hope for.

Having said that, the car ran well despite crappy conditions. It was about 60 deg in the shop and raining outside. Humidity was most likely 100% as the dyno was correcting up to get SAE numbers.

Anyway, the car made 440rwtq and 379rwhp with the converter unlocked and 414rwtq and 391rwhp with the converter locked. As you can see an auto car will always benefit from torque multiplication down low and if it can't lock up it will lose Hp on top. That's enough HP to take out Chris Wise as the highest HP SC recorded and verified on a dyno with an M90. Of course it's not legal for the list as we were using alcohol injection but I think it's a fair comparison to show just how far we have come. On a better day with some more tweaking I think 400rwhp would have been possible.

That officially concludes all the testing that this car will see. The weather has been really crappy here and the car needs to get back to its' owner. So now I think the race should be on to see who can be the first to crack the 400rwhp barrier with an M90. :D It's very doable.

I'll have video of the dyno pulls of this car up on sunday after I get back from the Detroit Auto show saturday night.

Shane

Jim Demmitt Jr
01-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Labeled the MP-Extreme or MPX for short, Charles Warner has taken the MPIII design to the next level in order to offer the SC community the last word on the M90!

Charles started with the MPIII port design, and then cast a completely new case out of 356 aluminum which is much stronger and far more rigid than a modified OE case making the M90 more reliable than ever particularly at high rpms. The new case is one piece, it has no silencing ports, and it is machined to more exacting tolerances than the original cases were. No more sending in your core for modifications. All you need to do is split your case and slide your rotors into this case. Or, if you prefer, Charles can get you very low mileage (like new) GTP rotors and install them so all you have to do is attach your nose piece. It's a cool idea and a cool product. I believe Charles has these parts on the shelf now and the price is lower than you think. Contact Magnum Powers (http://www.magnumpowers.com) for pricing information.

The reason I'm posting this information rather than Charles is that Kevin Leitem and I have been doing testing for him and he wanted to wait until I was done before making any announcements. Having said that I will get to the part that I have been involved with.

Kevin ran the MPX blower on his car vs. his MPIII on the same track, on the same day. He found that his car was .20 seconds quicker with the MPX when run back to back with his MPIII. This happened late in the year and while Kevin didn't run the 10 sec time that he hoped for, it looked promising for the new blower. It was after this that Charles contacted me to see if I could do some dyno testing on the blower. I said "sure" and so here we are.

The car we used for testing has 8.9:1 compression, ported heads, and a cam that specs 224 dur, .580" lift. It's a mild cam really, it barely lopes and provides very crisp throttle response. The car has the stock (but ported) intake, stock return adapter, MPFMIC, headers, Snow system, and a full exhaust (2.5-3.0-2.5). With the MP inlet plenum feeding an MPI blower running at 20% OD the car made 345rwhp @ 15.5psi boost.

With the MPX blower (complete with GTP rotors) at 25% OD, the car made 384rwhp @ 19.0psi. It is worth noting that even though we only increased OD by 5% we picked up a whole lot of boost. The boost comes on quickly and the full 19psi is achieved by 3500rpm and holds strong all the way to 6300rpm which is the highest we took this motor.

Part of the key to our success with this combination is the right selection of pulleys. We used the MP 10% 8 rib crank pulley along with a 10% ESM 10 Rib JS pulley and a custom made 10 rib 5% blower pulley. The belts used are Gates Green Stripe K120400 (you have to trim off 2 ribs to use this belt) and K080435 and we installed MP tensioner springs in both blower tensioners. It is my opinion that we were not getting any appreciable belt slip with this combination.

I feel it is important that people get as many facts as possible when looking at what is available and deciding where to spend their money. It is for this reason that I have taken the step to help out in bringing a new product to market for which I personally stand to gain nothing other than the experience of having worked with it. I want to help not only those yet to make a decision on a new blower, but also those who have already made a decision and may have met with less than total success with it. We have shown 2 things in this testing. 1) the MPIII design is capable of making an effective 18-20psi on even a highly modded SC and 2) we can do it without belt slip.

I have spoken with Charles about the pulley setup on this car and we agree that it pretty much exemplifies the RIGHT way to run your MPIII. Magnum Powers already offers the 10% crank pulley and Charles is doing the R&D right now to be able to offer a 10% JS pulley and 10 rib 5% blower pulley. We agree that with these parts it is completely reasonable for anyone with an MPIII to expect the same or similar results with their car compared to what we have achieved here and continue to do it on a regular and ongoing basis. Not just for a couple dyno pulls or trips down the 1/4 mile.

If you have an MPIII or you expect to possibly purchase an MPX over the next couple months and would like to also get a pulley system that will work reliably with it, please post on our poll so we can see what the need might be so that Charles can plan production.

Over-all I am very pleased with the results. We gained almost 40hp in exchange for 3.5psi increase in boost and as you all know, once you get above 350rwhp the gains don't come easy. Personally I feel that the power level this car is at is completely attainable for anyone else in the club. There is nothing trick about this car and in fact there are some things that are less than ideal (like the exhaust) but even so the results have been great. I'm very happy with the car and it is a blast to drive. Now just to get it over to a dyno jet and see if we can add to the peak number. :D

Dave

The new MPX looks to be a big gain in blower tech Charles first generation MP3 me and Coy had was great but we never had a chance to test it to its full performance level. This CMRE Cogged drive is real hard on the blower I can see its trying to pull the rotors together think I may get the new MPX with coated rotors and get Charles 25% overdrive pulley setup cant waite to see pictures of this new blower. Your tests on your last post shows it is better than the new generation MP3. I got my dads ported blower and two extra cogged belts when they go bad time for change. I like MP Charles work the best you can get in todays M90 tech what is the time frame for the MPX and 10 rib 25% setup to be bought by us?

Kevin Leitem
01-13-2007, 02:36 PM
here are a couple pics. The back of the blower is pretty much the same as a MPIII appearance wise. the clearances between the rotors and case were 4 thousandths tighter on the MPX vs my MPIII, both have coated rotors.

XR7 Dave
01-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Jim, we are getting about 18.5psi with no real belt slip. We do record a loss of about 3% in rpm between the blower and the motor but I feel that this is a result of the nature of poly rib belts and not an indication of destructive slip. The belts look like new after many dyno pulls and there's no belt dust.

The blower is capable of a lot more rpm that we are pushing it but I feel the combination we are running is completely reliable for every day street use. For racing applications there would be benefit to running more OD yet but that is not something I am currently in a position to pursue. I mainly wanted to show that this level of performance is not only attainable but maintainable and sustainable for others.

quick35th
01-14-2007, 02:02 PM
As promissed here is the video of the MPX car that Dave tuned on friday. I didn't get the last run where it made the 391rwhp because the camera battery died.

http://thumbs.vidiac.com/b3586758-f95b-44ea-bc58-98b50187a38a.jpg (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b3586758-f95b-44ea-bc58-98b50187a38a.htm)Click here to see Video (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b3586758-f95b-44ea-bc58-98b50187a38a.htm)

Shane

seawalkersee
01-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmm....time for an owner to step foreward...

Chris

Grims95SC
01-14-2007, 04:08 PM
As much as I'd like to claim that car is mine, it is similar, its not. :( Its engine actually runs!

XR7 Dave
01-14-2007, 04:18 PM
The owner will not be stepping forward. If you see a white SC with a cowl hood at the track, beware. :D

The first run was extremely rich due to -uh- operator error.. :D The other two pulls were with the large alcohol jet and still quite rich. The last two pulls at 379 and 391rwhp were with a smaller alcohol jet (375ml). Contrary to previous popular opinion, the 625ml nozzle is a little much for an SC.

Grims95SC
01-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Since the owner won't step up, any chance of filling us in on what other parts it took to hit 391whp?

XxSlowpokexX
01-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Dam that blower is loud!

XxSlowpokexX
01-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Shouldnt be to hard to figure out whose car....Dyno was in Cleveland Ohio(or close to)...its a 94-95...And it has what appears to be Chris's old Lazzos old wheels on it..SO obviously its............

seawalkersee
01-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Nope...I have seen that car before in a magazine or on the pix of an Ohio gathering from a few years ago. I was new to the scene then and that car stuck in my mind. I think the ROHs style wheels was what did it. It may have been a SC of v-6 shootout in MM&FF from years ago. Oh well...I guess time will tell.

Chris

90blkbrd
01-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Since the owner won't step up, any chance of filling us in on what other parts it took to hit 391whp?

All of that has been posted on the tbu.

quick35th
01-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Shouldnt be to hard to figure out whose car....Dyno was in Cleveland Ohio(or close to)...its a 94-95...And it has what appears to be Chris's old Lazzos old wheels on it..SO obviously its............

I dont know the owner of the car as Dave keeps it a good secret but I will say this though the owner of that SC does not live in Ohio.

Shane

XR7 Dave
01-15-2007, 12:59 AM
All of that has been posted on the tbu.

And will be posted here in more detail along with dyno charts. Patience my friend.

No the car has never been in any mags before. AFAIK no one has ever seen it before.

lilredstang
01-15-2007, 02:53 PM
So... a guy would need...
MPx case and plenum $1125
pulleys $????
bigger injectors $350
anything else?
He would also be wise to have the rotors coated too??
Any special tools needed to do the case swap?

Toms-SC
01-15-2007, 03:00 PM
I can't see 25% OD or 20 Pounds of boost being good for a stock head car or one with a stock IC. I look forward to the future influx of parts cars. :) :D

It would be really interesting to see a car with no heads or cam dyno with all the MP bolt-ons. The number obtained would be a more realisitic number for the majority of SC owners.

XxSlowpokexX
01-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Darnit..I was trying to make someone fess up...Dyno was done in ohio though and those rims do look like Lazzos old rims and he lives in Dayton.

In reality it doesnt matter whos car it is though..Its a very clean 94/95 and thats good enough for me..Hows it run without the alcohol at that OD?....And what type of IC is on it?

quick35th
01-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Damon,

If I remember correctly a MP FMIC is on that car.

Shane

XxSlowpokexX
01-16-2007, 01:59 AM
Maybe this is a situation where that huge front nmount IC along with Alchy and a high spinning m90 all come into perfect harmony. I did a bunch of calculation years ago when I first got into SC's and figured our m90 to be good to around 400rwhp..Think it came out a lil more. Of course thats not taking everything into consideration..But i been seeing v8 motors top out around that point with an m90S for years and it seems the v6's are as well..Finally..Albiet a better then just an m90S blower:O)..Definitely getting one of these puppies for my v8 bird..DEFINITELY (even if its just for the sound!)

seawalkersee
01-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Maybe this is a situation where that huge front nmount IC along with Alchy and a high spinning m90 all come into perfect harmony. I did a bunch of calculation years ago when I first got into SC's and figured our m90 to be good to around 400rwhp..Think it came out a lil more. Of course thats not taking everything into consideration..But i been seeing v8 motors top out around that point with an m90S for years and it seems the v6's are as well..Finally..Albiet a better then just an m90S blower:O)..Definitely getting one of these puppies for my v8 bird..DEFINITELY (even if its just for the sound!)

You are going to destroy that car...

Chris

Roadhawg
01-16-2007, 08:05 PM
You are going to destroy that car...

Chris

That makes me think of the movie "A Christmas Story"

When everyone tells Ralphie ........... "You will shoot your eye out"

Bacondoggy
01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
I think it is a bit decieving to say (from the MP website)

"The MPx supercharger driven 25% on an ordinary 3.8L Supercoupe V6 with ported heads and a mild cam made a remarketable 391 rwhp!"

Not true! If what is being said, the car was ran #1 with alcohol, and #2 had a FMIC? What else would it have? obviously no matter how you look at it, you do NOT just buy this $1125 "kit" to aquire over 150hp! I am not saying this isn't a good idea, but to have a more realistic and straight-forward approach to this would be nice. There is NO WAY anyone can tell me that car is "stock" aside from a cam and heads. If results are going to be decieving, I would question wether or not I would want to be giving people my money. The bigger injectors had to be installed at the very least, correct? how much do these green gates belts cost? I would like to see the price of this all added up to see that realisticly, its going to be easily over $1500 to get a gain of nowhere near this abount...

XR7 Dave
01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
No one is suggesting that that the car is stock. What the MP website is suggesting is that it doesn't require exotic parts to achieve that power level and is suggesting that 375-400rwhp is not unreasonable to achieve with an M90 and a responsible approach.

kenewagner
01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
I looked on SCP site and didnt see their statement on this blower. If it does states "an ordinary 3.8 supercoupe with mild cam & heads can acheive 391 RWHP than I think that is stretching the truth quite a bit. Dave stated fairly clearly what extra mods were needed to run the figures he quoted. I dont beleive most guys will say this is an ordinary SC though with 60lb injectors, menthol injection, and a new pulley system. Does it have big MAF & TB, probably. SCP could change their wording a little and give a better picture of what supporting mods are needed for "an ordinary SC". Just my 2 cents as I dont really have a dog in this fight.

Ken

XR7 Dave
01-17-2007, 02:54 PM
I believe he was refering to the MP website, not the SCP website. But either way, I think people are missing the facts. It takes fuel and air to make HP. The biggest intake, the biggest exhaust, the biggest IC, and the biggest injectors in the world will not make HP. They simply support HP. The engine makes HP and the blower provides the boost. The boost levels and efficiency achieved by the MPIII and MPX blowers is higher than can be achieved with other blower cases. Many questioned the M90's ability to be spun fast enough to move enough air to make the hp. I have been one of those. Rather than simply throw darts at people I have offered, from the beginning, as some may recall, to test the blowers and find out what the truth really is.

I have now been afforded the opportunity to do just that. I took the MPI, which is similar to an MPII or an S-Port, and pushed it as far as it would go. 353rwhp is what I was able to squeeze out of it on this car (remember it's an automatic). After putting everything I had into getting the most from this car I installed the MPX and immediately got another 30rwhp and 3psi boost.

The part is not a gimick and the results are not misleading. People like to create sad stories to justify their own lack of success but that does not change fact. I ran into exactly the same kind of comments when I built my first Autorotor kit. People to this day really don't believe the power numbers I got because of this excuse or that excuse. The fact is that the power is out there to be had. The parts are now available whether you want to run an M90 or something else.

Yes, you need supporting mods. The blower does not create HP. It moves air and this particular one does it pretty well. At 18psi which is a very streetable boost level, this blower will support 400rwhp. Of that I have no doubt.

MP will update their website with more details about the car. The truth is I haven't given Charles a complete mod list yet. I have made another post about it though so if you'd like to read it the info is all there.

David

kenewagner
01-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I believe he was refering to the MP website, not the SCP website.

You are right there Dave, I did refrence the wrong vender. I agree the new blower can do all you say and your description of it needing supporting mods is accurate & nobody, in all likely will disagree. Some people will disagree with the "suggestion" that bolting this blower on to an "ordinary SC" acheives those levels of power. There have been other threads covering the same question of HP recipes from venders

Ken

XxSlowpokexX
01-17-2007, 04:42 PM
There have been alot of advances in the past few years that are allowing us to see higher hp numbers.

1) Blower technology
2) Larger Injectors
3) SCP software
4) Choices and profiles of cams
5) Proper use of alcohol injection
6) Widespread use of larger more efficient IC's

The list goes on and on

Sure all of this was available in one form of another years ago but not nearly to the extent or advancement we are now seeing.

The numbers will just get higher and higher I am sure of that..I personally love it

And hope teh MPX does good things for my 4.6:O)

pablon2
01-17-2007, 04:47 PM
And hope teh MPX does good things for my 4.6:O)

Man you have mentioned this several times now. Hey guess what everyone? Damon is putting an MPX on a 4.6 with nitrous. :D Get it going already :) :D

XxSlowpokexX
01-17-2007, 05:15 PM
I cant help it. With the s port I was limited to around 400rwhp...Seems this blower may just do the trick..And its more affordable the the twin screw upgrade for me..Much more affordable..if I can get 450 or more with it..I'll be a happy man

Bacondoggy
01-17-2007, 08:25 PM
I just didn't like how it was worded. I understand the concept and that its better then our chargers. It Better be for that price. I understand its not an outrageous price, to some. What I was just bothered by was that "if you have ported heads and a cam, with this you are going to get 391rwhp".
I don't care how you look at it, its a lie, and it puts his integrity in question. I personally think most of everything he sells is overpriced, and to hear the #'s dont add up (so to speak - I am sure the car DID dyno at that, I saw the video) makes me even more leery about buying anything from this guy.

Kevin Leitem
01-17-2007, 09:19 PM
I just didn't like how it was worded. I understand the concept and that its better then our chargers. It Better be for that price. I understand its not an outrageous price, to some. What I was just bothered by was that "if you have ported heads and a cam, with this you are going to get 391rwhp".
I don't care how you look at it, its a lie, and it puts his integrity in question. I personally think most of everything he sells is overpriced, and to hear the #'s dont add up (so to speak - I am sure the car DID dyno at that, I saw the video) makes me even more leery about buying anything from this guy.

well when only 1 guy out of billions of people have the want and ability to make parts for our cars, he can charge higher. if you want cheap parts buy a rustang. companies sell more parts daily for a rustang than magnum powers will ever sell in a life time. be happy you can get what you can. he says an ordinary SC, not a stock sc. An ordinary SC that is looking for an upgrade already has bigger injectors, TB, intercooler. please use common sense, sell your car and buy a 4 cylinder mustang

XR7 Dave
01-17-2007, 09:44 PM

It's not a lie.

Charles has never seen the test vehicle. He has only my word to go as far as what it has or doesn't have. I'm the one who told Charles the car is not exotic.

The cam is mild. When in gear it barely has any lope at all. Compared to a CMSIIR cam or a Steigemeier cam it is mild. The only thing milder is a Dr. Fred 520 cam.

The heads are clearly ported but they do not flow like Coy Miller heads or Steigemeier heads. In fact I did them before I bought a flow bench. I've learned a few things since then. ;) And the car made 380+rwhp more than one time with a home made double IC on it.

All the other parts are off the shelf things, most of which are typical of a majority of the SC's in this club. They simply aren't out of the ordinary. I'm not saying it's cheap. I'm just saying it's very typical. SC owners typically do have a lot of money in their cars. What SC owners don't typically have is a car that makes close to 400rwhp.

This car does not have any exotic parts on it. All the parts on this car can be ordered from any one of the SC vendors and the combination absolutely can be duplicated and this is what makes this a big deal compared to the past.

Chris Wise made 391rwhp several years ago with his M90 so in a sense this is nothing new. Except that Chris had a 4.1L stroker, custom intake, custom air/water IC, welded cylinder heads, etc. I'm not pulling anything away from Chris, it's just that his results weren't typical. I'm saying that these results today are absolutely typical. There is nothing about this car that gives it more than 15rwhp one way or the other that couldn't be duplicated by anyone else here with a mod budget.

The car had a few things that it didn't need, like the nitrous built bottom end, or the headers, or the FMIC, and maybe even the 85MM TB. Heck it probably didn't need the Snow kit either but the owner wanted it and the car was tuned with it.

As I said before, this was not a high dollar marketing campaign by Magnum Powers. It was me taking my time and spending my money to both help my customer meet his goals and for Charles to finally get a fair showing for his efforts. I don't sell MP parts. I don't have any secret agreements with anyone nor do I get any kickbacks from anything that is sold here.

As always I'm trying to help us have faster SC's. If the blower didn't perform, then I would have posted those results as well. Charles knew this when he sent me the blower in the first place. There was a lot riding on this test and Charles took a substantial risk sending this blower to me for testing. However, the reality is that he KNEW that the blower could perform and I promised on my honor that I would give the blower every chance to perform. I bought special equipment to be able to monitor the blower and I took my time and made every effort to make sure that results were not skewed by innaccurate data or conditions. In the end I was rushed making the last pulls but Charles and I both felt that the results were good enough to post. I feel that the results are very typical and that higher numbers could easily be achieved given more time and $$ to spend on dyno time.

MP products are not for everyone but his parts are top quality and those who have them know that. If that isn't enough for you then that's ok. Some people have made their own parts (I'm one of them!) when a manufactured part is either too expensive or not quite what I wanted. There is nothing wrong with that nor is there anything wrong with saving a buck buying used or whatever else. But that still doesn't take away from the value of a quality built, off the shelf item. I've used many MP products in the past and recommended them to others. I've also frequently recommended cheaper routes for people who need to save money but that doesn't make MP parts overpriced.

jhosler
01-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Don't know if this is the right area for this, but with the MPX, what would I expect to gain over the early model stock M90 on my '95 SC. i have a 75mm TB, 3" CAI and a 5% OD pulley on the M90. I am pushing about 195rwhp as of now.

thanks
Jason

XxSlowpokexX
01-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Why do you have an early model blower on your 95?...

jhosler
01-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Why do you have an early model blower on your 95?...

I guess the guy i bought it from swaped blowers and didn't tell me. I noticed the 1990 sticker on the inlet pleum. :eek:

XR7 Dave
01-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Don't know if this is the right area for this, but with the MPX, what would I expect to gain over the early model stock M90 on my '95 SC. i have a 75mm TB, 3" CAI and a 5% OD pulley on the M90. I am pushing about 195rwhp as of now.

thanks
Jason

With just bolting on a supercharger I'd expect about 225-235rwhp. It will make a nice gain and lays the groundwork for major improvements with the necessary supporting components.

XxSlowpokexX
02-01-2007, 01:20 AM
As David said...Going from a 90 blower on a 95 to even a 95 would be a good imporovement. Definitely the Mod you wantto do right now

jhosler
02-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks a bunch for the info guys!!

XR7 Dave
02-02-2007, 02:57 PM
As David said...Going from a 90 blower on a 95 to even a 95 would be a good imporovement. I wouldn't waste my time on a 95 blower if you already have a good blower, just upgrade the case and plenum. 95 blowers without porting generate a lot of heat and don't respond to OD very well.

SRT-4
02-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Magnum Powers and Dave For the win /thread :D

Randy N Connie
02-02-2007, 03:55 PM
What is the difference between a MPIII with coated rotors and a MPX?

Thanks Randy

Toms-SC
02-02-2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks Randy

A new case with no silencer ports.

nickleman60
02-02-2007, 05:01 PM

Thanks Randy

it also has tighter rotor to case clearances

XR7 Dave
02-02-2007, 05:32 PM

Thanks Randy

Unless you plan to spin it faster than 25% OD, probably nothing significant. The MPX is the MPIII in a new case. The case is stiffer for higher rpm use. The lack of sound ports also makes the MPX a little louder than an MPIII.

Randy N Connie
02-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't understand how a MPX could perform any better than a MPIII.
My MPIII with coating runs a tighter roto to case tolerances than a
new case with added stanard rotos.

My MPII made MORE power than a my MPIII after a tune for each blower.

And thicker casting for the blower case would be of some help. But when
I measured my bores on differnt blowers ,I seen no type wear in the cases
from destortions. I did see scratchs from debris. I donot use blowers like this.
As a matter of fact I have used brand new blower out of the box to have
converted to MP blower.

I have about evey overdrive ratio pullies thats sold, plus a couple I made.
If I went to 30% overdrive or 25%. Would that not just lift the head even faster than the 20% 0r the 23% overdrive that I have tried? I have had a overdrive blower with under drive accessories crank pulley on my car for a
few years now.Its not new.

I don't understand why the MPIII cannot perform any better than a MPII .
When the MPIII was first introduce. I would think if the MPIII was a peice of junk at the Oklahoma shootout,and over the preceeding 1.5 years before
the introdution of the MPX, why would the MPX be any better? Its the
same design except for the manufacture saving money on casting his own blower case over hunting down used cores..And there was more than one MPIII dyno tested that day. Every single MPIII lost rear wheel horse power .

Randy

XR7 Dave
02-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I believe the answer is belt slip. The MPIII and MPX blowers do not change the laws of physics. They do require roughly the same power to spin as any other M90 blower, but they have the ability to move more air. The load on the blower running through a stock motor making 20psi is very similar to the load on the blower pushing the same 20psi through a modified motor. So you have to realize that trying to run high levels of OD on a stock motor is going to cause the blower to eat up a ton of power and result in a lot of belt slip.

We saw 18.5psi (not on an analog gauge but logged via a MAP sensor into my LM-1 software) with the MPX blower and most definitely picked up a lot of power. I have not tested an MPIII with the same pulley setup or datalogging equipment so I can't really say that the MPIII would make the same power but I believe that it can.

I was running an 8 rib lower belt and a 10 rib upper belt with the MP tensioners on this blower for this testing which I feel is the key to making more power. We logged no more than 4% variation in rpm between the blower and the crank throughout the rpm range. This was consistent regardless of boost level or RPM which we believe is normal for a poly-rib belt under load. Until someone can verify that the same condition existed during their testing I believe that a much greater % of belt slip was present.

One thing that testing on a car won't show you is the VE curve of the blower. Charles is confident that the VE curve of the MPII and other early designs starts to fall off badly at high rpm. A roots blower will only work correctly as long as the inlet of the blower can provide enough air to the rotors that a vacuum is not created in the inlet. This is where the MPIII/X design starts to have a greater benefit. Once you reach a certain CFM with the MPII design then the blower starts to create a vacuum at the inlet and flow is stopped like a rev limiter or governer. The MPIII/X design does not have a rev limiter/governer due to the size of the inlet.

So for a stock or mild motor there may not be a ton of benefit to be had from the MPIII/X design, particularly at normal boost levels. Travis got an improvement on his testing but you must also understand that he made literally hundreds of dyno pulls and carefully optimized the tune for each blower and each boost level. Travis' results should be regarded as the best possibly scenario, not the average. I think that those results do prove what is possible. Travis used some very unconventional (in SC speak) tuning practices which proved very effective for him. Advancing timing until the motor blew oil out the dipstick is one of them. Unfortunately I can't do that kind of destructive testing on everyone else's car. Nonetheless our learning curve is moving forward.

The part about the new case being stronger is a fact. Whether or not it is of benefit to a particular application remains to be seen. I don't think anyone wants to be the one to find out if the OE case flexes at 26,000 blower rpm. Since no one is spinning those speeds on a stock motor it shouldn't be an issue unless you are really working the blower hard. I didn't mean to suggest that an MPIII is experiencing enough case flex at normal rpm's to generate damage or a loss of boost.

Randy N Connie
02-04-2007, 11:41 AM
I have no more belt ware at 23%,20% overdrive than I do at 10% or stock ratio blowerdrives. What belt slip I have now is no more than when I
ran a stock ratio. The crank pulley and tentioners I have were
modified around 3 years ago to reduce belt slippage.

So I still do not understand how a MPX would have better test
results than all the MPIIIs.

Randy

Kevin Leitem
02-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Randy belt wear and slip are different, you can have alot of slip without actually wearing the belts or signs of belt dust. I guarantee you are slipping the belts. increasing blower speed can actually cost you HP if there is a higher % of slip. lets say you run the blower at 5% and see 14 PSI. now you increase to 20% and see 16 PSI. the 5% will probably have more power, due to the fact that the 20% is slipping so bad you are losing more HP in heat(belt slip) than what the 2 psi is givving you. eliminate slip and you could see 18psi and more HP. many times i tried more OD and saw higher boost but ran slower. and saw less boost and ran quicker. since all my pulleys are sand blasted i can always tell how bad they were slipping due to dust, and temp of the pulleys after a run. and also my MPX exit port is different than my MPIII. actually quite a bit. and i don't mean just the silencer ports. I went 2 tenth slower with the MPIII than the MPX. both had coated rotors.

XR7 Dave
02-04-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm not convinced of the accuracy of any of the test results up to this point. We simply did not collect enough data to be certain.

Here is an example of the data collection that I am now able to do. This datalog proves that we had 3-4% difference in supercharger rpm vs. crank rpm on the MPX testing that I did. Because I was able to run the car around on the street with the datalogger connected, I was able to determine that minor belt slip is a constant phenomenon with this pulley system. The belts will slip a small amount every time you touch the gas or let off of it. The belts also stretch like a rubber band which affects pulley rpms in different ways. Since the supercharger rpm's vary about 3-4% under near all conditions of acceleration and deceleration, we feel that attempting to achieve 0% is not a reasonable goal with poly rib belts. Since we did not see any more slip at 6000rpm and 19psi than we did at 10psi and 3000rpm and the fact that the "slip" seemed to be dead constant throughout the rpm range, we feel that this is the best you will ever achieve.

Here is a sample of the datalogging that I used on the MPX car.

Randy N Connie
02-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Randy and also my MPX exit port is different than my MPIII. actually quite a bit. and i don't mean just the silencer ports. I went 2 tenth slower with the MPIII than the MPX. both had coated rotors.

I was under the impression that the MPIII and the MPX had the same
intake port shape. Now I understand. It has nothing to do with the
belt slippage,or rotor tolerances.

With MPIII , 10%OD ,pump gas ,100,000 mile+ stock motor,AOD,
273.3RWHP. I can get more from a stock motor but I am happy with
those numbers. I think my parts I have been testing with MPIII. Will
perform well enough to suit me once I add a new short block with
cam, welded heads, snow injection.

I think if I would bolt on the rest of my parts I have built.
With the MPIII ,and with a good tune. I think I could pull
295 to 300 RWHP, With my stock longblock..

I am very happy with my MPIII. So much, I am thinking of selling my A/R
with 85mm TB & 80mm C&L MAF,3.5 MP cold air pipe, modififed
manifold/plenum, jackshaft pulley, blower pulley, fuel rail, Air filter,
heads welded, valves ,bee-hive springs,.etc.
Every part is new & polished, all parts bought from Supercoupe Unlimited.taking bids starting at $4000.00?

Right now Connie drives the SC Bird to work running 15% OD.
runs a little rich.

Thanks Randy

XR7 Dave
02-04-2007, 07:23 PM
I was under the impression that the MPIII and the MPX had the same
intake port shape. Now I understand. It has nothing to do with the
belt slippage,or rotor tolerances.
They do have the same intake port shape. It's only the outlet that is a little different. I have seen nothing to suggest that an MPIII with good clearances cannot perform as well as an MPX to within a few HP, especially at pump gas boost levels.

Mike8675309
02-04-2007, 09:17 PM
In addition, if you note the info from magnum powers, the case is stiffer than a stock eaton case, and thus the MPIII. That should better deal with the higher rotor speeds from the big overdrives being used with the improved air flow.

doh... see this was noted in quite a few posts here already.

Crash00527
02-04-2007, 10:32 PM
thats some pretty kool stuff. to bad im just doing mid grade performance level upgrade. nothing too speedy lol

95MTSC
02-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey Dave, just curious... how are you getting the supercharger RPM?

pablon2
02-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey Dave, just curious... how are you getting the supercharger RPM?

My guess is a timing light on the SC pulley with tape.

joshbea6
02-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Where's the TBU for this car and the items that were on it during the Dyno results? I'm VERY curious as to what all was used aside from the following...

MPX Blower
60 lb injectors
80 mm MAF
255 lph fuel pump

Also Dave, any progress with the new heads and intake design for the cars? I'm very curious as to how they are shaping up. I've got the engine work on hold until I see what kind of things are on the horizon...

-Josh

Wanted1990SC
03-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Is the MAF a C&L and if so, what is the part number and do I need a different sampling tube for 60 lb. injectors?

XR7 Dave
03-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Yes, it had a C&L MAF with 60lb injectors. It does require the correct sample tube for the 60's but it is not a plug and play upgrade. You'll need a chip and tune to run this MAF.

SC UL8R1990
03-29-2007, 10:19 PM
haha you guys tuned that white sc at backstreet perfomrance in medina,oh!

no one called me! shame on you all.

XxSlowpokexX
03-30-2007, 07:40 PM
In addition, if you note the info from magnum powers, the case is stiffer than a stock eaton case, and thus the MPIII. That should better deal with the higher rotor speeds from the big overdrives being used with the improved air flow.

If you take a good look at the case you can see the area of extra material that stiffens the case on each side

Very much like what I had done to my DIII ESM blower back in the day

SRT-4
03-30-2007, 08:12 PM
So has anybody got an MPX yet? pulleys :confused: I have a shop that wants to kill me. Because everything will be done in "a couple of weeks"

XR7 Dave
03-30-2007, 09:01 PM
I talked to Charles today and he appologized for the delays but the fact is he doesn't actually personally manufacture the cases. They are machined in a close tolerance machining facility. Bottom line is he is at their mercy for production schedules. If you need your car out of the shop stick a stock blower on it for now, it's not going to hurt anything.

Imagine how you'd feel if you had ordered an AR 9 months ago. It could be worse......

seawalkersee
03-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Imagine how you'd feel if you had ordered an AR 9 months ago. It could be worse......

Or got a whipple that STILL is not on the car....

Chris

kenewagner
04-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Or got a whipple that STILL is not on the car....

Chris

Patience Chris. Rome wasnt built in a day.

Ken

seawalkersee
04-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Naw...thats not your fault that Im poor again. I knew the new job paid less to start with. I just have to beat the first year. And then....I will tell people its a MPX.

Chris

pablon2
04-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Charles asked me to pass this on.....the 1st and 2nd batches of cases have been machined and will be powdercoated next week.