Magnum Powers Announces New Blower for the SC!

I am interested in a 10 Rib 25% OD pulley system for my MPIII

• I've been waiting for this!

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I'm getting an MPX and I'll want the pulleys too.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I already have all the pulleys I need.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • I already have the crank pulley and would buy the rest when available.

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

XR7 Dave

Labeled the MP-Extreme or MPX for short, Charles Warner has taken the MPIII design to the next level in order to offer the SC community the last word on the M90!

Charles started with the MPIII port design, and then cast a completely new case out of 356 aluminum which is much stronger and far more rigid than a modified OE case making the M90 more reliable than ever particularly at high rpms. The new case is one piece, it has no silencing ports, and it is machined to more exacting tolerances than the original cases were. No more sending in your core for modifications. All you need to do is split your case and slide your rotors into this case. Or, if you prefer, Charles can get you very low mileage (like new) GTP rotors and install them so all you have to do is attach your nose piece. It's a cool idea and a cool product. I believe Charles has these parts on the shelf now and the price is lower than you think. Contact Magnum Powers for pricing information.

The reason I'm posting this information rather than Charles is that Kevin Leitem and I have been doing testing for him and he wanted to wait until I was done before making any announcements. Having said that I will get to the part that I have been involved with.

Kevin ran the MPX blower on his car vs. his MPIII on the same track, on the same day. He found that his car was .20 seconds quicker with the MPX when run back to back with his MPIII. This happened late in the year and while Kevin didn't run the 10 sec time that he hoped for, it looked promising for the new blower. It was after this that Charles contacted me to see if I could do some dyno testing on the blower. I said "sure" and so here we are.

The car we used for testing has 8.9:1 compression, ported heads, and a cam that specs 224 dur, .580" lift. It's a mild cam really, it barely lopes and provides very crisp throttle response. The car has the stock (but ported) intake, stock return adapter, MPFMIC, headers, Snow system, and a full exhaust (2.5-3.0-2.5). With the MP inlet plenum feeding an MPI blower running at 20% OD the car made 345rwhp @ 15.5psi boost.

With the MPX blower (complete with GTP rotors) at 25% OD, the car made 384rwhp @ 19.0psi. It is worth noting that even though we only increased OD by 5% we picked up a whole lot of boost. The boost comes on quickly and the full 19psi is achieved by 3500rpm and holds strong all the way to 6300rpm which is the highest we took this motor.

Part of the key to our success with this combination is the right selection of pulleys. We used the MP 10% 8 rib crank pulley along with a 10% ESM 10 Rib JS pulley and a custom made 10 rib 5% blower pulley. The belts used are Gates Green Stripe K120400 (you have to trim off 2 ribs to use this belt) and K080435 and we installed MP tensioner springs in both blower tensioners. It is my opinion that we were not getting any appreciable belt slip with this combination.

I feel it is important that people get as many facts as possible when looking at what is available and deciding where to spend their money. It is for this reason that I have taken the step to help out in bringing a new product to market for which I personally stand to gain nothing other than the experience of having worked with it. I want to help not only those yet to make a decision on a new blower, but also those who have already made a decision and may have met with less than total success with it. We have shown 2 things in this testing. 1) the MPIII design is capable of making an effective 18-20psi on even a highly modded SC and 2) we can do it without belt slip.

I have spoken with Charles about the pulley setup on this car and we agree that it pretty much exemplifies the RIGHT way to run your MPIII. Magnum Powers already offers the 10% crank pulley and Charles is doing the R&D right now to be able to offer a 10% JS pulley and 10 rib 5% blower pulley. We agree that with these parts it is completely reasonable for anyone with an MPIII to expect the same or similar results with their car compared to what we have achieved here and continue to do it on a regular and ongoing basis. Not just for a couple dyno pulls or trips down the 1/4 mile.

If you have an MPIII or you expect to possibly purchase an MPX over the next couple months and would like to also get a pulley system that will work reliably with it, please post on our poll so we can see what the need might be so that Charles can plan production.

Over-all I am very pleased with the results. We gained almost 40hp in exchange for 3.5psi increase in boost and as you all know, once you get above 350rwhp the gains don't come easy. Personally I feel that the power level this car is at is completely attainable for anyone else in the club. There is nothing trick about this car and in fact there are some things that are less than ideal (like the exhaust) but even so the results have been great. I'm very happy with the car and it is a blast to drive. Now just to get it over to a dyno jet and see if we can add to the peak number. :D

How much? New case nice

I believe not much more than a "smiling" MP3. There is no gap in between rotors and the case...they are so tight! Plus, you get a brand new case, which is great! Also, you can get it with coated rotors...best of two worlds!:eek:

Good to see more and more go-fast parts appearing in the market that will help us to stay competitive with some newer cars out there!

The car had the 4R70W transmsission and the converter was locked for all runs. I went to great pains to try and make sure that all parameters were as equal as possible on all runs to try to eliminate errors due to heat soak, air temps, etc. I have logged all the data for posterity as well so it can be looked at later if anyone has questions. I will post some logs later as well as the dyno charts.

The blower case will be sold with a new MPIII plenum for less than the cost of the MPIII conversion that was offered previously. Anything more specific than that and you'll have to contact Charles.

Payton, you know something I don't????

Last edited:
Alright, so the cliff notes form is

-It's a new case/same style MP III port
-No air silencers
-New pulley combo
-Coated rotors

Correct?

Yep, that about sums it up. For those who have an MPIII already I think the pulley combination is a must, and the coated rotors are an upgrade. Charles and I both feel that 25% OD is the hot ticket for this blower design and if you have ported heads and cam then the coated rotors would be the next step.

As long as you have a good IC the boost level you are seeing at the motor is not going to be a problem. If you have a stock motor and are seeing 22psi it isn't a big deal (unless your headgaskets are still stock) because a large portion of the boost you are seeing is only restriction in the intake ports and doesn't represent what is actually going on in the cylinder. The only real drawback to running very high boost on a stock motor is that the blower has to work a little harder and therefore outlet temps will be a little higher. But as mentioned, a good IC will take care of that easily.

One thing worthy of note that was determined through this testing is that poly-rib belts do not ever grip 100%. There is always slip whenever there is a change in rpm. I have witnessed belt slip with this combination even during normal part throttle operation. I believe that a certain amount of belt "squirm" is normal and to be expected. In the case of this test we found that we were seeing 3.5% belt slip at all rpm's during a WOT run. This is not to be confused with massive slip due to loss of belt traction. We feel that this small % of slip is inherent of the polyrib belt design and is to be expected. There were no signs of any additional belt slip at any point of our testing. Our results were dead consistent and did not vary with rpm or boost.

I was impressed with the way the boost came on quickly and remained steady throughout the rpm band. The boost was pretty much constant from 3500rpm on up. Because this car is an automatic it is difficult to load the motor below that rpm for a long enough time to get boost up. On the street boost and 3500rpm happen pretty much instantaneously regardless of the driving situation. There is no sensation of lag or delay at any point in time.

Oh, one other thing....is it nice and loud? :D

When I first put it on I was like "DAYUM!" But I think it has settled in a little. Either that or I got used to it. It's loud, there is no mistaking it but that's what we want, right?

IT probably wont but Ill ask anyway.

Since the car tested was an automatic, do you expect the same results with a 5 speed?

Do you see any problems with "launching" in regards to belt slipping?

RAUL

Ok, so it produces better numbers than the MPIII is louder and costs less? SHAAAAWIIIINNNNG!:D
Hey Dave, what kind of gains do you think this will have on my beast?(TOTALY STOCK orginal 1989 220,000 mile leaky M90:rolleyes: ) I will be tossing the liquid IC and going with a FMIC in the spring. Is there an estimated cost on this yet?

Last edited:
I'm curious to know how much air this MPX moves at 25% OD compared to an M112 spinning at 0% OD. With the M90 being modded to the point of putting out 2x+ it's normal capacity in CFM it has to be getting close to surpassing if not exceeding the stock M112 output.

Got the crank pulley and springs Get me the rest of the pulleys, belts and a snow inj. and i'll be set.

Dave, some heads and cam would be nice to before the spring.

Back