scp camshafts

nickleman60

:confused: what does everyone think about the competition cams camshafts that scp sells? i was looking at the stage 2 camshaft and wondering if it's worth it, i like the idea that it's brand new and not a regrind, this would be going in my black '94 sc. any info would be appreciated.....keith

bump, bump - looking for some input, is there any out there?

I think there has been a lot of discussion about cams in other threads. I have a cam in my future as well. As one vender told me you need to size the cam for your application, your heads and other modifacations. So most guys can tell you here how their cam is the greatest but it might not be what works in your car. I think everyone of the venders selling cams will ask you questions and than tell you what they figure will work best. I beleive a lot of the venders have new cams that are not a regrind.

Ken

In my opinion, the camshaft is some of the best bang for the buck in mods.

It's a good idea to get the heads ported to match the duration/lift of the camshaft to get the benifit of the cam.

:confused: what does everyone think about the competition cams camshafts that scp sells? i was looking at the stage 2 camshaft and wondering if it's worth it, i like the idea that it's brand new and not a regrind, this would be going in my black '94 sc. any info would be appreciated.....keith

I would buy from xr7 Dave.My experience has been that in the event of after sales problems,Dave will do his best to take care of you,some others wont.

When we changed the cam in my engine it really woke it up. Pulls the rpms. a lot faster. I have the limiter set at 6000 rpms. Till I put the bigger injectors. even with 520 lift it went 6500 easy.

I tried to buy a cam from Comp-cams & though David D..
I could not get either to give help, or sell me a cam.
So who else sell cams?

Randy

I am personally going to wait to get my cam until the NEW heads are designed and ready for selling. That way I've got the BEST set-up.....:D

I need a new cam core ground to fit my modified heads
& intake system. And I wanted custom diameter ground on
the cambearing journals.

A stock camshaft cannot be used. It also does not have
enough material ,hard face on the lobes to grind the lift,timing
or duration I was looking for..

I was looking to buy a cam a year or more ago. I have since
given up on building a motor. The only parts left to buy
to complete a modified motor ,was a cam and piston,rings.

I just came to the conclusion that a few SCers do not
want me to build a motor. And since I have no way of
getting a motor tuned. It would be fruitless to do a
motor build-up anyway.

I am just going to stay with and use my extra motor to
build stock power plant. I have two pairs of welded heads.
one pair that has weld buildup done by Steg. ported by
me. With the flow they have I would use them for a
stock motor. And I have another pair of heads that I
welded intake and exhaust ports. I would like to use them
but they were ported with dragracing in mind only. And
to fit a raised manifold. These heads need around a .600+
lift cam, to match air flow numbers of head and manifold.

With my MPIII & new manifold and replacing my head gaskets.
I am back up to 275 rwhp with a stock longblock now. With the
installation of welded heads,& my new designed raised manifold
,and bolt on my A/R blower I should be able to get up to
around 325 rwhp. This has been my horse power range I feel
I need to have fun with ,300 to 350 rwhp. I can get there
with out a cam.

Thanks Randy

I just came to the conclusion that a few SCers do not
want me to build a motor. And since I have no way of
getting a motor tuned. It would be fruitless to do a
motor build-up anyway.

Randy,

I can't understand why anyone would not want you to build a motor. As for the tuning, you could always join in on the next tuning session the STL guys arrange, or hire Dalke do do a private tuning session.

David

I have no problem selling cams or any parts to anyone. Randy and I have discussed various parts many times and have conducted successful business in the past. I think perhaps the underlying reason why I have been unable to provide Randy with pistons/rods and cam package lie in my belief that Randy knows a lot more about those things than I do and I therefore I relied exclusively on Randy to provide me with the specs of what he wanted rather than me spec something that might not be ideal for his plans. Randy has never given me any specs upon which to have these custom parts built.

The fact is that I CAN actually provide a cam with larger than OE journal dimensions (although it would be expensive). I can also provide a standard journal cam in any configuration that Comp Cams can physically grind.

I have offered to provide rods and pistons but things like compression ratio and rod length were never decided on. I have also offered to tune the car on more than one occassion but talking about it and making it happen are two different things.

I understand why Randy is frustrated, I'm just not sure what there is that I can do about it.

Back