SC Belt= Poo Poo

Sweet90SC

Welp! guess the SC belt got abused too much in the pulley change out...so it decided to let go today and wrap itself around my new chrome coolant pipe pull the TS housing gasket loose and blow coolant all over my once clean engine bay....just another day in SC paradise...:mad: Guess I know what I'm doin Saturday morning...

Doing just what the boss tells you to do:D Just like last week.

Bryan

Don't work Saturday....:p

Hey Glen I liked Sam Baer.... I used to get shoes from his old store in downtown Orlando...:D...I loved that commercial he did that time where he said he had to sell one million tires that year or God was gonna take him home...poking fun at that televangelist...Oral whatsis...Now that one was funny!

ALLIED DISCOUNT TARS!!!!:D

Prefferably though I'd be out da tar bidness and be doin bodywork instead...thats what I wanna do really anyway...:rolleyes: Maybe a change of career comming soon?...hmmmmmm...maybe...:D

After many tries I wound up putting the old tensioner back on. I tried locktight and the bolt still keeps comming loose on the new tensioner. So tomorrow I'm gonna get some lock washers and try those. I can't figure out why it keeps working loose to begin with. But these belts are too expensive to keep experimenting with. Not to mention a PITA putting on and taking off and puitting on and taking off..and putting on and ....:mad:

Rick,
Is it the bolt that holds the tensioner to the mount or the bolt that holds the pulley to the tensioner? Are you using the stock bolt or aftermarket one?

Bolt that hols the tensioner mount. I was using an aftermarket bolt and changed back to the original one...somethin is still screwed up....tryin to figgure it out...:mad:

ok.....I got the new bolt secured with locktight and a lockwasher.....Took about 20 trips around Silver Lake over here and she is still tight. It was the tensioner that was holding the SC belt From my new JS pulley...just kept comming loose. I began to think that the PS pulley had a problem too so I took it off again and now I think I got it a little bent too..:mad:...woo hoo...lots of fun!...I'm gonna go wash my hands and watch the Kansas Mizzu game....

Last edited:
Sounds like another "Rick's SC Adventure". Let me know if you bent the powering steering pulley I'll send you mine. On a side note I drove a 03 cobra that was for sale at the Ford dealership here in town. What a nice ride, holy stiff chassis but it was a convertable and I'm looking for a hard top. Overall 10times better than my GT. I'll have to give Bryan a shout and see if he wants to come off his. If we plan on camping this year we need to get planning b/c it doesn't look like we will be getting any kind of winter here.

I did wind up warping my PS pulley a tiny bit but not enough where it affects the serp belt. I should be ok in that area. I also got the problem with my tensioner for the SC worked out too....Now can someone please tell me how in the hell to seal this cooalnt pipe where it bolts on at the thermostat...it has just the slowest leak at the bottom dripping down on the top of the water pump. :( .......Yes I did use a gasket... :rolleyes: ...and permatex black sealant...any more ideas? I was wondering did I put the thermostat in backwards:eek:

Rick mine has been leaking for years. The guys at Ford replaced it under warranty and ever since Ive had a leak it seems like a really bad design and placement almost like they forgot it.

I did wind up warping my PS pulley a tiny bit but not enough where it affects the serp belt. I should be ok in that area. I also got the problem with my tensioner for the SC worked out too....Now can someone please tell me how in the hell to seal this cooalnt pipe where it bolts on at the thermostat...it has just the slowest leak at the bottom dripping down on the top of the water pump. :( .......Yes I did use a gasket... :rolleyes: ...and permatex black sealant...any more ideas? I was wondering did I put the thermostat in backwards:eek:

The t-stat housing could be bent or warped....

I agree that it is not a very good design.....:rolleyes:

I'm gonna take it back off tomorrow and check to see if I can see any warping. If so I'll try to get it trued up. I can always put my old black one back on I guess....:(

In the worst-case scenario on the t-stat housing, you can use diesel silicone. It's grey and you can get it from the Ford store or from a Navistar dealer. The Ford stuff comes in a tube like you get caulking in from the hardware store, while I've seen the Navistar stuff in the typical toothpaste tube style.

Either version has adhesive properties that verge on the absurd so make sure it's on something that you don't mind having to tear up to get it off again. Valve covers would probably be a poor choice for this :)

Check the thickness of the material the chrome one is made of and then check the thickness of your original t-stat housing.....

I'll bet the chrome one is made of thinner material......

You could have your original one chromed......:D

You could have your original one chromed......:D

I'd rather get the one that I went thru all this crap to get...you know what I mean..:rolleyes: ...working...

Now, I checked the flange and that sucker is perfectly flush. I was talking with Jake and he suggested putting the gasket seal on the bolts threads along with going 2 gaskets thick like Bryan. So I have adheased 2 of them together tonight and put them under pressure to cure over night.... Tomorrow morning.....I'm goin in:cool:-~ cue the mission impossible music ---------------------~*

Last edited:
Back