Cranks, But wont keep running.

plenum

I have a 89 SC 5spd. I changed the waterpump, then stoerd it for 3 years. i also emptied the gas tank. now I put 4 Gallons in. Turn key, she will start, bUT Wont stay running. If I hold key on she will run. But the starters gets hot.What give?? The Inertia switdh? or what??. HELP. Dies out when I let go of Key.

An engine is only running if combustion is occuring in the combustion chamber. Spinning the crankshaft via the starter motor attached to the flywheel is not the same as having the engine running.

So maybe you can clarify your statement.

If you mean to say the engine will spin with the starter, but never actually starts (fire, turn over, run), I'd suggest checking fuel pressure at the fuel rail first.

I have seen this happen if its only firing when the key is turned to start. you might have a bad ingnition switch. Take the pull off plug off the starter solinoid (small wire). Next hook up a volt meter to the coil and have someone turn the key to on and then to start. If you only have juice at start, try changing the ingnition switch first. Some times they fall apart and some zip ties come in handy for this fix.

Never have seen that before, but if that's the case, engine is actually running only when key is turned to start, that almost certainly means the ignition switch (which is operated with a rod from the actual key switch and is located near the base of the steering column) or the rod that controls it is having a problem.

I had the exact same problem, ignition switch. If I applied pressure while squeezing the switch together, it would run. Relax just a little and it would stop. It was an interesting trip home, steering with one hand and squeezing the ignition switch together with the other. a couple of wire ties later, done.

Wont Stay Running

I Changed The Ignition Switch. But Now It Wont Idle. I Have To Keep Hitting The Gas To Keep It Running. When I Stop It Shuts Off. Car Was Sitting For 4 Yrs. I Put New 4 Gallons Of Gas In. It Is A 89 Sc, 5 Spd. I Had To Replace The Water Pump, Then Power Steering. And Put In New Plugs And Wires. New Belts. New Battery.???

Well now lets see, could be after that long> stuck injectors, clogged fuel filter, frozen IAC, weak fuel pump, condensation or water in tank. There is just to much to list as these cars do not do well sitting. Does it sound like a dying goose when it dies? If so your idle air control is messed up (IAC). Anyone else?

doesnt stay running

I can hear the fuel pump ok, I drained the gas tank when I stored it. But I should have released the pressure in the fuel rails. I think maybe the injectors are gummy. I will put some injector cleaner in and see. I am hoping that it`s not Electrical because, I just replaced the Ignition switch. She will run if I keep pumping the gas pedal. But Dies when I stop.

My car sat for at least a couple of years unused. It ran like doo doo at first too. I ran some cleaners through it and after a few weeks of airing it out on the highway, it got better and runs great now. Just keep your AAA and a charged up cell phone:) The computer has some new learning to do if your battery has been unplugged since it was last driven also.

I have been working on the 89 I hauled home a couple of weeks ago with the same problem. I checked the harmonic balancer and the bolt. They were OK. I removed the covers from the steering column to have the ignition switch fell out in pieces. Replaced it and all of accessories started working but it still won't start. No upshift light while cranking. Spark on all plug wires. I changed the DIS module and cam sensor. The tach does bounce a little but it did not matter which cam sensor was installed. I hear the fuel pump run and prime the system before trying to start. It does have a quarter tank of fresh fuel. There didn't seem to be much pressure at the schrader valve so I guess I need to get a true pressure gauge and check that.

Last edited:
Check the IAC motor and make sure it is working. Could also be fuel that gummed up in the lines if you didn't drain them as well. Just had the same prolem with a civic SI i did that i had sitting around for 3 years, everything was gummed up. You should probably be changing the fuel filter regardless after that long of a sit. A little trick that works good to get injectors cleaned up and spraying like new is to reverese flush them. Pop them out and leave them for a couple hours soaking in a container full of fuel injector cleaner. After you drain them, hook up a vacuum pump to the fuel inlet side and suck any remaining cleaner out. Just apply enough vacuum to draw out the residue, don't overdo it. After that the injectors will flow like new.

No the IC tubes have not been off. The car ran before I changed the ignition switch out. I have tried another switch to see if the new one was the problem. No obvious broken wires or dirty terminal contacts in what I have checked so far.

I think it's a bad IAC (idle air control) valve or a vaccum leak. If you can get it to stay running by adjusting the throttle stop screw a few turns...it will be much easier to isolate the problem.

David

Problem Found

Just FYI in case someone else looks at this thread in the future. The problem with my 89 was a plugged fuel filter. Cleaned the fuel lines and installed a new filter, runs pretty good for the mileage.

Back