DSS axel shafts

ThunderGodRacin

All,

I just ordered a set of Level 2 shafts from DSS in North Carolina. These come with the inners and are chrome moly 28 spline. The L2's are rated at 600hp which is about all I am looking for. You can get the L5's which are good up to about a 1000hp. Look at the threads to find out more about the L5's. These L2's that I bought were 1430 shipped to my place in Texas. I will install them once I get back home from Iraq.

just my .02

So can these withstand the harsh launch of a 5-speed car on ET Street Radials with a Spec clutch?

I know auto's don't seem to have a problem with the axle shafts. Look at Dave N's car it runs stock half shafts.

Now we've seen mild bolt on 5-speeds break at the track on the launch. It's usually the splines that break or near the hub. I'd like to see how these can take the abuse. They are VERY expensive wow!

So can these withstand the harsh launch of a 5-speed car on ET Street Radials with a Spec clutch?

I know auto's don't seem to have a problem with the axle shafts. Look at Dave N's car it runs stock half shafts.

Now we've seen mild bolt on 5-speeds break at the track on the launch. It's usually the splines that break or near the hub. I'd like to see how these can take the abuse. They are VERY expensive wow!

just a quick question sorry to steal your thread. are stock lx n/a birds the same as an sc .:confused:

They're not for our cars that I'm aware of. They are for the Mustang Cobra. Cobra outer hubs are 28spline, and the diff side gears are 31 spline. (ours are 28 spline on the inside too) The Cobra shaft is also slightly shorter. They also have an upgrade outer hub that puts 31 splines at the outboard side. A significant upgrade, but a significant cost.

We can fit the cobra shaft as the CV joint can be moved down the shaft just enough to get it to fit on our car. to use the inner joint you'll need to either use a cobra diff, or get cobra side gears for your diff.

See a post by EECdoc in this thread:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52799&highlight=axle

Guys,

I found out about them from the therads on broken axel shafts. One of the guys on this site was taking about running the L5"s from the Cobras. And yes they need to be modified to run in our cars. So I was talking to these guys and seeing if they would do a setup for our cars. Well long story short they just started offering the inners in a chrome moly w/28 splines for the 99 cobras/MN12 and 31 spline for 2000 and up. (L5's are 33 spline and as of yet don't come with an inner). Yes there expensive but I think it just might be worth it. As I said before I wont be able to give any feed back on them untill I get back from Iraq.

As soon as they arrive I will have my wife send me pictures of them and post shortly after that.

It'll be interesting to see how they run. What did the guys think about your power level, or are you under 350rwhp? Even more significant would be hooking with 400ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels. The 31 spline axle upgrade was due to issues on the Cobra performance levels from what I have understood.

Back