89 SC should i buy it?

KnightRider

Repost from TCCOA but wanted to go to the source!:

Hello, i'm new and might be dipping into an 89 SC i'm going to check out. need some information to see if you guys think its a good buy or just stay away from it...

current info: (BTW sight unseen)

89 SC
5spd
tranny lost 5/Reverse gears, needs some work
car back fires/ hard to crank, owner thinks its catalictic converters.
(my opinion Fuel Pump/filter fuel delivery)
aprox: 170k miles
good int/ext, some rust.

$700

basically car will be daily driver/ slight mods to suspension (drifter)

what should i look for?
what do you guys think?

I might be joining the SC family soon
-KnightRider

For $700 more you could find a 89 that runs and shifts right. I sold a 91 today that was in excellent condition with no mechanical issues or rust for $1300.

avoid it.

The tranny is a huge worry. I bought my SC for 1300 1990 5-spd with 187k and drove it for 6k miles before the N/A 3.8L bottom end gave out and snapped the crank at the no 1 cylinder.

If you havent worked on an SC before, BEWARE, they are a bastard. Changing the sparkplugs frightened me.

The torque was unbelievable and stock it could drift with the best of them. It had an extreme difficulty with maintaining traction.

-Ghost

I also think I'd hold out for a better one. The extra money you spend on the purchase will save you money in the long run, in my opinion. I dont think (as far as regular maintainace work goes) the SC is really any harder to work on than any other car. I changed spark plugs in 2.5 hours on Saturday (having a swivel head ratchet is the key).

Things to look for specific to the SC's....

Rust - there are completely rust free SC's out there
Bushings-diff/body mount
Get a combustion leak tester from NAPA - the kit costs $50 but will test the engine/heads/headgaskets for cracks & leaks, and you can use the kit more than once.
Electrical - having all the power options working is always good

There are alot of good resources on this website about what to look for when buying an SC, searching the forums will bring up lots of good info. I'm glad I checked on here before I bought my 94 SC last week, there are alot of knowledgable guys (and maybe gals, hopefully) that post on here.

Good luck on finding your SC! Hold out for a good one, you wont be dissapointed.

thanks, checked out the car today... i dont know if its me but since i'm not accustomed to the Thunderbird, it kind of turned me away from the route. I liked the torque of the motor.. maybe in the future for a good deal i'd buy one but this one had its issues:

good
overall body was decent,
no dents
shine in paint
complete Int/Ext
motor ran instead of bogging like expected

Bad:
Upper control arm bushings -shot
coolant leak under supercharger
tranny didnt shift 5/Reverse(i knew this prior to viewing)
interior needed work
RPM gauge didint work so big turn off
temp gauge neither
driver door messed up
some rust under rear quarter windows

car needs alot of work, only way i'd get it is to save it from the junker... which i'm gonna report back with the guy to see whats up.

SC might not be for me unless i find a good one for cheap, still seem like a nice car but i'm more into the smaller sports cars, less luxury. but who knows.

Back