PDA

View Full Version : Weld wheels 15x4 and 15x8 6" b/s .

Jurgen
01-15-2007, 09:17 PM
I have talk to a few wheel companies to make some custom wheels for our mn12 and mark VIII's. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=909687#post909687 check this thread out for more info with the help of Brad (cudaz101 ) weld wheels said they might make some wheels if we have 20-25 people interested.

Thanks
Jurgen

cudaz101
02-24-2007, 08:26 AM
In some recent developments with Weld Racing it seems that these Drag Wheels could come to be built. We don't need quite 20-25 but rather 15 people to commit. I accounted for 5 sets myself.

A show of interest would be helpfull.:)

We are looking at the Draglite or Rodlite in 15X8 & a narrow front. The fronts would be pushed in the fender as best as possible.

Thanks,

Brad

XR7 Dave
02-24-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm interested.

Super XR7
02-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Would the Weld wheels work with 13" front rotors and 11.65 in the rear?

Mike

cudaz101
02-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Would the Weld wheels work with 13" front rotors and 11.65 in the rear?

Mike

Mike I think the concern would be with the rears and I could not say for sure at this time. I think the rear calipars are small enough that they would clear but its just a guess....Fronts will be a zero offset so they should not pose a problem.

Brad

Mike8675309
02-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Brad

I'm up for a set.

Randy N Connie
02-27-2007, 01:23 PM
I would buy a set for the front 4x15 & wider set for rear 15x9 to 10.
But I don't think 15" rims would fit.
I have 03-04 Cobra brakes ,front and rear.

Randy

drummerzrok24
02-27-2007, 05:14 PM
I would buy a set, maybe like 15x9-10 in the back.

Ira R.
02-27-2007, 07:28 PM
I would be interested, although I wish someone would consider making them in 16's.

Ira

cudaz101
02-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Most of the technical challenges are outlined in the tccoa thread.

The reason for going with 15's is drag tire choices...As in REAL drag tire choices instead of street tires.

The challenges with a 15" wheel are differant than with a 16, 17 and up with regard to width clearances. Such as the Shock mounts being a clearance problem, etc...That is why an 8" wide wheel was decided on.

Big Brake issues...I don't have a clear answer for this issue right now because I have not test fitted a wheel and measured clearances with stock brakes yet. So once we have a starting point we should be able to address questions like that.

Appreciate the interest and input.

Cheers,

Brad

Micahdogg
03-02-2007, 03:52 PM
15 X 8 with 5.5 backspace almost clear. The bracket that goes around the rear brakes will smack into the center section (just an inch or so out from the hub). At least it was this way with Pro Stars. I had to use a 3/8 inch spacer and even then the bracket contacted the center section, but it kinda....clearanced itself :)

Obviously you can see that you'll just have more problems trying to fit wider than 8 inches back there.

Up front, with cobra brakes I need a full 1 inch spacer. This is with a 15 X 3.5 at 0 offset though. With a 15 X 4...it'll just get worse. But if you don't have cobra brakes you will be far better off. You can reference Dan Sly's car for a non cobra brake 15 X 3.5 fitment vs. my car with a cobra brake 15 X 3.5 fitment. Should be some pics floating around from the shootout.

You'll also need longer lug studs if you want to be NHRA legal. The rims will fit onto your stock lug studs, but they won't be long enough to pass tech. At the Shootout this year, the tech guy didn't even look. Somewhere like Gateway...eh...they might look. At the last NMRA event I was at (Route 66 Raceway) I was noticing about half/half compliance with the rule from the cars I saw in the pits. So it's not one of the more heavily enforced rules, but just an FYI.

Ira R.
03-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Most of the technical challenges are outlined in the tccoa thread.

The reason for going with 15's is drag tire choices...As in REAL drag tire choices instead of street tires.

The challenges with a 15" wheel are differant than with a 16, 17 and up with regard to width clearances. Such as the Shock mounts being a clearance problem, etc...That is why an 8" wide wheel was decided on.

Big Brake issues...I don't have a clear answer for this issue right now because I have not test fitted a wheel and measured clearances with stock brakes yet. So once we have a starting point we should be able to address questions like that.

Appreciate the interest and input.

Cheers,

Brad

Oh, I understand all the reasons :) but I also know I am not the only one running 16" ET Streets at the track anymore who would like a lighter weight wheel. Oh well, it never hurts to ask.

Ira

cudaz101
03-02-2007, 06:07 PM
15 X 8 with 5.5 backspace almost clear. The bracket that goes around the rear brakes will smack into the center section (just an inch or so out from the hub). At least it was this way with Pro Stars. I had to use a 3/8 inch spacer and even then the bracket contacted the center section, but it kinda....clearanced itself :)

Obviously you can see that you'll just have more problems trying to fit wider than 8 inches back there.

Up front, with cobra brakes I need a full 1 inch spacer. This is with a 15 X 3.5 at 0 offset though. With a 15 X 4...it'll just get worse. But if you don't have cobra brakes you will be far better off. You can reference Dan Sly's car for a non cobra brake 15 X 3.5 fitment vs. my car with a cobra brake 15 X 3.5 fitment. Should be some pics floating around from the shootout.

You'll also need longer lug studs if you want to be NHRA legal. The rims will fit onto your stock lug studs, but they won't be long enough to pass tech. At the Shootout this year, the tech guy didn't even look. Somewhere like Gateway...eh...they might look. At the last NMRA event I was at (Route 66 Raceway) I was noticing about half/half compliance with the rule from the cars I saw in the pits. So it's not one of the more heavily enforced rules, but just an FYI.

OK...So do you have the Cobra brakes in the rear as well Micah??

THANKS ALOT!!! That information will be put to use Micah. I have not messed with 15" wheels at all, not to mention 4" wide and narrower with Zero to reverse offsets...heh...This is going to give me some good starting points for the first test wheels.

Thanks again for the input. This is going to save me alot of time.:D

Brad

Brad

cudaz101
03-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Oh, I understand all the reasons :) but I also know I am not the only one running 16" ET Streets at the track anymore who would like a lighter weight wheel. Oh well, it never hurts to ask.

Ira

Ira....I will see about getting a 16" test wheel done up. I am going to guess that a 5.5" backspace with a 16X8 wheel would be fine for inner clearance??

Brad

Micahdogg
03-02-2007, 06:15 PM
No I don't have cobra rear brakes. I bought the brackets from Ed, but then realized they won't fit with these welds. So I'm not gonna do the swap. However, I have seen 94-95 Style Cobra's at the track with 15 X 10 welds in rear. They must have different rear brakes in those years, but fronts were still 13/dual piston.

As for the rear, there is PLENTY of caliper bracket to do some mild grinding to. Actually, you could probably cut the whole bracket off, but just by grinding down the high spot that interferes, you could get away with a 1/8th inch thinner spacer. Dan could comment on that, plus I think he test fit a couple offsets in 15 on his car.

Micahdogg
03-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Centerline is a much more user friendly drag wheel. You give up just a couple pounds per wheels, but they allow you to use stock lug studs and stock lug nuts unlike the Welds. Only problem is that most of their skinnies stop at 4 inches wide. If they went 3.5 with zero offset I would have bought a set of Telstars (or Convo pro's like Coy)

cudaz101
03-02-2007, 06:24 PM
No I don't have cobra rear brakes. I bought the brackets from Ed, but then realized they won't fit with these welds. So I'm not gonna do the swap. However, I have seen 94-95 Style Cobra's at the track with 15 X 10 welds in rear. They must have different rear brakes in those years, but fronts were still 13/dual piston.
That clears up some questions I have

As for the rear, there is PLENTY of caliper bracket to do some mild grinding to. Actually, you could probably cut the whole bracket off, but just by grinding down the high spot that interferes, you could get away with a 1/8th inch thinner spacer. Dan could comment on that, plus I think he test fit a couple offsets in 15 on his car.
I am wanting to use a 6" backspace on the 8" wide wheel. From other input I have gathered this will work without modification short of rolling rear fenders for tire clearance??

What part of the wheels barrel actually makes contact with the bracket with your 5.5" backspace??

Thanks again,

Brad

cudaz101
03-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Centerline is a much more user friendly drag wheel. You give up just a couple pounds per wheels, but they allow you to use stock lug studs and stock lug nuts unlike the Welds. Only problem is that most of their skinnies stop at 4 inches wide. If they went 3.5 with zero offset I would have bought a set of Telstars (or Convo pro's like Coy)

The guys at Centerline seem to have a deaf ear to my requests. I have alot of time invested in the Weld Option so I will probably stick with them unless for some reason they can't give me the specs I need from the wheel.

Brad

Micahdogg
03-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I am wanting to use a 6" backspace on the 8" wide wheel. From other input I have gathered this will work without modification short of rolling rear fenders for tire clearance??

What part of the wheels barrel actually makes contact with the bracket with your 5.5" backspace??

I just looked my wheel up on Summit and for a 15 X 8 prostar in 5.5 bs they say it has a +25mm offset. If you look at the backside of the wheel though, the spokes don't taper out very much from the hub. So each of the 5 spokes have a scrape running across them where they just slightly contacted the bracket. This was with a 3/8 inch spacer. I imagine i would have needed a full 1/2 inch spacer to clear it.

I think there is enough room back there to go with a 6 inch backspace, but I wanted to use a 26 X 11.5 inch tire. This tire with 6 inch bs you are probably getting close to the e-brake cable.

With these overly wide tires on a 8 inch rim though, the wheel still doesn't stick out at all. I rolled the lips just in case, but anyone running a 275 40 on a 17 X 9 cobra r has as much interference problems on the fender lip.

If I made any change to my rim, I might try a 15 X 8 with 5 inch bs just to get em out a little more (to help even out the look with my skinnies that bug out so hard)

XR7 Dave
03-02-2007, 06:59 PM
It's not super relevant here but when I had Centerline make my 16x8's many years ago they put a 5 3/8" BS on them and I ran 255/50/16's. They would rub only on rare occasions very slightly on the unrolled fenders. I have no doubt that a 6" will tuck better but I'm concerned about brake cable clearance. Steel wheels typically have a much "trimmer" lip than an alloy wheel so who knows.

Funny Centerline hates you Brad, they always seem so helpful to me. LOL! My biggest thing right now is waiting to see what we can come up with for front wheels. Seems like the rears are the easy part.

Ira R.
03-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Ira....I will see about getting a 16" test wheel done up. I am going to guess that a 5.5" backspace with a 16X8 wheel would be fine for inner clearance??

Brad

If you say so. I never had a reason to check it, and it's a stock application; wheels, hubs, brakes, etc - the cars not lowered at all, so whatever room there is there is.

And thanks for looking into it. I'm not worried about the fronts - I think have something that will work right now.

Ira

Super XR7
03-03-2007, 07:59 AM

Brad

If there is a 16" version, I am interested.

Mike

Ira R.
03-03-2007, 05:35 PM
If there is a 16" version, I am interested.

Mike

Now I know I'm in! If Mike is thinking about getting a set they're going to be the best looking wheels out there :D

He doesn't put anything that doesn't look classy on that car!!

Ira

cudaz101
03-09-2007, 05:10 AM
I just looked my wheel up on Summit and for a 15 X 8 prostar in 5.5 bs they say it has a +25mm offset. If you look at the backside of the wheel though, the spokes don't taper out very much from the hub. So each of the 5 spokes have a scrape running across them where they just slightly contacted the bracket. This was with a 3/8 inch spacer. I imagine i would have needed a full 1/2 inch spacer to clear it.

OK...So the spokes hit the bracket. Was this with a stock brake setup as well??

This is a problem because I don't think there is any extra meat on the mounting pad of the wheel. I am pretty sure all the center sections are the same and they move them around in the barrels for backspace. Anyways, this is key...Would the bracket be an issue with stockers??

Thanks...

Brad

XxSlowpokexX
03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
http://www.bogartracingwheels.com/diagram2.gif

These measurements when taken should provide the information needed to know if thw rim will fit the application or not. This is what I did when I ordered bogarts. Bogard supplies rims with spacers welded on....And they are much more expensive then welds...

Now most sn95 guys running welds up front..The cheap ons like alumnastars draglites or rodlites use 1 inch hubcentric spacers up front for brake clearence..>Dependant on rim you may have to do some caliper bracket grinding...Some of the more expensive rims do clear with less work or no work at all from what I read...But dealing with what we are dealing with... 1 inch spacers on a 3.5 inch skinny

Micahdogg
03-09-2007, 05:23 PM
My rear brakes are stock. Only difference is I have Cobra hubs. But I'm not sure if they are any different (distance from brakes) than stock hub. I doubt it. So yes, the issue I have...you will probably be dealing with for all other stock brake sc's.

However, I would not suggest using your stock rear lug studs and weld rims in back. To make the fit you need to hammer out your old studs (which you can do with hubs mounted on car), then run either a drill bit or grinding stone around the inside in order to press in the 3 inch long lug studs (which have a bigger knurl). If you are prepared to do this, in order to be NHRA legal with your Weld set up, then it's really nothing to just place a 1/2 inch spacer in there.

So while you may require a spacer (which is totally NHRA legal and easy to do), I think the bigger issue is how people address the lug stud issue. They should be warned that stock studs won't pass by the rule book.

To make matters worse....Weld lug nuts loosen up. You need to periodically check them and re-tork them. For all these reasons, Centerlines are so much easier to use.

And Damon, 1 inch hubcentric spacers do the trick for me with cobra brakes up front. So everyone else with smaller than cobra brakes should be able to get away with less than 1 inch spacing. Not to mention you can do judicious grinding of the caliper bracket (but not Cobra brakes since there is no caliper bracket) or you can just cut the whole damn bracket off. No one seems to know why they are even there.

tydlwavs
03-09-2007, 08:55 PM
With the hub swap you can probably order the 03 Cobra sized set-up? Just a thought. I had 03 Cobra spec front D-10's for my 1996 with the hub swap and 13" Cobra brakes.

-Todd