What do I need to do an engine swap

A1cntrler

I have purchased a 90 Annie 5 speed and it will be dliver here to me in a few weeks. It is a running car and has 123k miles on it. I will likely be swapping out the motor with a remanufactured unit just because I do not know the history of the motor in the car. What kind of things do I need to get to do the swap?? Do I need a harmonic balancer, or are those typically on a remaufactured longblock?

I have a partial list that I can think of, but I'm sure I am leaving something out..

Plugs
Wires
New Water Pump
Thermostat
Belts
Hoses
Super Charger fluid
Tube sealing tape

I'm sure I'm leaving some basic stuff out. I have never done a swap out before, I always had someone do it for me, but the SC is my weekend car and not necessary for daily driving. When it pisses me off I can just go inside and leave it for a while... Thanks for the help!

My longblock did not come with one. I went with the BHJ balancer and new bolt too. Also, don't forget your fluids (oil and water).

Fluids---what do you guys run in the motor?? I was thinking starting out with Mobil1 which is what I have used in other vehicles for years..

Motor Mounts-- Definately the solid once, as well as solid trans mounts too.. Thanks!

if you have the money i would say do all the bushings in the car.....when i got my 95 they were all pretty bad...so if you like to take it apart thats the way to go. also do the front sway bar end links and tie rods

cody

Can I reuse the upper and lower control arms and put in a new ball joint and urethane bushings? Or is the ball joint part of the arm?? I see SCP has upper and lower arms for sale complete. I plan on doing urethane bushings throughout the car eventually..

leave the wheels on and have a guy on either side wiggle the tires and it will tell you if they are bad

cody

I don't think that you can replace the upper joint. I just did mine and put new uppers, lowers, sway bar end links, outer tie rod ends, new steering rack (came with inner tie rod ends) and new power steering pump. HUGE difference in ride. For fluids, I just used regular oil at first because I changed it after like 500 miles.

As for the long block, it just describes how complete the block is that you are getting. (heads, crank, cam, rods, pistons....)

ok so the engine is the same just more complete with all the things u need to plug and play?
thanks
cody

So Dino oil to start/break in. After that can I use synthetic, or are the tolerances not as tight on these motors and I'll end up with leaks from synthetic??

Short block includes:
Block
Crankshaft
Pistons

Long block includes:
everything with short block +
heads
Valves
Camshaft

cool thanks i have always heard bout the long block and i was like ah ha holding the secrets but now i feel stupid....oh well live and learn

cody

Back