Window woes

thirdbird

hey what have you all done when your window rolls up halfway then pops out of the plastic rails [2] its glued to?
Iv'e tried epoxies and none of them have held for more than a couple months.
also it seems as though the window hangd up in the frontside track, does this mean new door, or is there a fix that gets it to slide up and down properly?
:confused: as usual

3M Structural Adhesive is what I used after cleaning all the old stuff off the plastic clips and window real well. It is a 2 part epoxy and I fixed 2 cars that way and never had a problem with it again of either of them.

It is also what was recommended or prescribed by FORD in their Techncial Bulletin on the issue.

Happened to me once. Guy at the glass shop used jb weld. No more problems. That 3m stuff works about the same if not better.

JB Weld is OK, but he 3M window/windshield adhesive is the best. Also, there are some aluminum repacement clips available at most auto-glass shops to replace the breakage-prone factory units. The aftermarket clips have plastic set-screws in them that hold the glass very effectively.
I had an 88 Cougar that suffered this problem, and it drove me nuts until I discovered the 'cure'. No problems thereafter.

The clips have recently become available in the HELP! section of most part stores. I second the use of 3M window weld. It's designed for glass, were epoxys can become to britle. Try drilling 3 holes through the clips to allow the adhesive to ooze and have a better grip. The name of the clips is window sash.

Nick

after trying all the above , i think the gorilla glue just might hold. its been a month now.

JB Weld, Gorilla Glue...why does anyone insist on dubious alternatives when the stuff that was designed for the purpose and is 100% effective is easily available?
Why take the chance that it may have to be done all over again...and again, if you can just do it right the fist time?

JB Weld, Gorilla Glue...why does anyone insist on dubious alternatives when the stuff that was designed for the purpose and is 100% effective is easily available?
Why take the chance that it may have to be done all over again...and again, if you can just do it right the fist time?

Probably for the same reason I use Permatex copper RTV on just about every sealing surface possible. :)

David

I've had good luck with a product called Household Goo. Readily available at WalMart, etc. I've done 2-3 cars, with good results. The key is to make sure everything is absolutely clean and dry before re-attaching the clips to the glass.

Good Luck,

JD

I used windshield adhesive. Dont know the brand but it was in the gun at my in laws body shop. I razor blade cleaned the clips and windshield, sandpapered the glass, recleaned it, primed it with a brush on window adhesive primer, then glued them in the tracks leaving the window up for 48 hours just for good measure. That was 8 months ago and they are working fine. :)

Probably for the same reason I use Permatex copper RTV on just about every sealing surface possible. :)

David
You too ? :D :rolleyes: Actually due to the fact that my copper has a tendency to dry out and harden in the tube, I've started using black RTV whenever possible. Worked just fine on the IC tubes in my red car.

After 16 years of no problems, my pass side window clip let loose this last wknd.
I like to expirement a bit. JB Weld, with its rather slow cure time that allows you to push it around, is a great plastic epoxy. I'm going to Gorilla Glue the back clip and JB the front just to see how it holds up. :)

Last edited:
as already posted, glass takes special stuff to hold onto. Drilling holes in the clips is what all the auto glass guys do to improve stick.

Main cause of this issue is both the breakdown over time of the factory stuff, as well as the loss of felt on the rubber guide channels causing it to take more and more effort to move the glass.

I'm unaware of any replacements for the factory guide strips for our cars.

as already posted, glass takes special stuff to hold onto. Drilling holes in the clips is what all the auto glass guys do to improve stick.

Main cause of this issue is both the breakdown over time of the factory stuff, as well as the loss of felt on the rubber guide channels causing it to take more and more effort to move the glass.

I'm unaware of any replacements for the factory guide strips for our cars.

A glass installer told me to keep the window clean and waxed and it will slide up and down easier through the worn felts.
Also, there are aluminum replacement clips available that are far superior to the plastic stock clips. They have a serrated interiopr surface to 'grip' the glue, and a plastic set-screw that holds the clip in place firmly while the the glue is setting and while installing the window back into the door.
I used them on an 88 Cougar with no problems.

When the felt wears away, you're left with rubber. Thus you can clean it all you want and still have issues. One thing that can help but you have to re-do it often, is spray down the sides a silicone spray.

One other point for folks, the side tracks like to break loose of their spot welds which can cause the window to be hard to move as well.

2 months

2 months and counting with the gorilla glue ive almost forgot about the problem i fought with for over a year. i believe its really fixed.:D

Back