4R70W in a 94 SC cooked

marcus

Hey!
The trans shop said my transmission is cooked. (105K MI.) Do any of you have any ideas about what I should do to it when it is being rebuilt. Or go with another race trans. I don't race it but enjoy getting on it once in a while.The $2200 + race trans seem to be more than what I need. The stock one lasted 105K. If there are some up grades I can do without much additional cost i would like to do it. I thought some of you may know more about better products than the trans shop.

you should probably post that questions in one of the technical forums...

Not many SC'ers come on this forum, or at least they dont post.

Raul

Try the technical forums....

I had a trans shop rebuild my AOD and they screwed me on the deal.....:mad:

In my opinion, I would opt for a better trans like a Lentech or an Art Carr.....

There is an excellent technical writeup at www.tccoa.com .. in the Technical Articles section, called Transmissions 101. Details how to build a high performance transmission, exactly which parts to upgrade, etc ..

I wouldnt bother rebuilding your 94 trans, too many junk parts inside and a weaker casing. It'll be cheaper to buy a new one than upgrade all of the parts inside yours.

You might want to talk to somebody here named Dirtydog, he does Torque converters and transmissions .. or try TCCOA, there are a couple people there, Darrin or Lonnie .. who can build you a very good transmission for a decent price. $2200 will get you into a very high performance transmission, about $1500 for a much better build that wont fail on you like yours did at 105k.

I just blew my 2nd 4r70w transmission, first went at 70k and the second lost 3rd gear at 150k ( used transmission, had 70k miles when installed ..so it died with 150k miles ) .. im looking for my 3rd transmission now.

- Dan

Finding a 99-2001 3.8 mustang tranny is a great upgrade in and of itself

The 94 is like the worst of the worst

Thanks to Ddubb, The tocca site on transmission 101 was real helpful.

The newer type truck trans has some good updates that will work well for me.

The whole newer unit would be even better with some changes.

Thanks for all the comments!

Back