Long Time Problem Finally Fixed After Getting Worse!!! DIS!!!!!! (Kinda Long)

WuanTon

Well, after reading many posts and having my suspicions of what might be the cause of my car's hesitation problem, the DIS turned out to be the problem. For a few years now my bird would choke under load. Many times I wanted to leave others at the light and wouldn't even try in order to save myself from embarrasment for the lack of confidence of my bird's performance. In the recent months, I was having intermitten problems besides the hesitation in acceleration. Irradic idle, jumping RPM, rough idling to the point of strong vibration, sputter & loss of power as if it were only running on 2-4 cylinders. CEL would come on only on the later problem but then the symptom would go away after a few minutes. At first I thought it was the Harmonic Balancer but after making sure the bolt was there, it ran true. New Cam Sensor and swapped the DIS w/ a used one and the problem was gone for about a month. Car still ran a bit crappy,...hesitation was still there, irradic idle. Already fed up, I neglected the problems and drove it as is since it was running as before the rough idle anyway until 12/23/2007. While doing some important last minute shopping, the rough idle, vibration and loss of power returned. Disconnected the MAF, which seemed to work before, but to no avail. Had to limp back home. Next day, when I started the car, it idled fine for a few minutes then got rough and CEL came on. I let it sit for a few weeks being the holidays and all, I had no time to mess w/ it. Rented a car instead. Last week I finally took it to a close friend's mechanic in NYC and explained the situation as well as my suspicions. He kept it over the weekend. When I spoke to him on Monday, he told me that it was the DIS. He had a spare sitting around that he uses to test and that once he hooked it up to my car all the symptom went away. I picked up a new one at AutoZone (WELLS Ignition Control Module - #F147), installed it on my car the next day and guess what?.....CAR IS RUNNING LIKE NEW!!!!! No hesitation, smooth idle and unbelievable power! Was about to get rid of it but now I think I'll hold on to it a little longer. Looking to race some Hemis.....just because! I actually might pick up a Charger R/T,....DAYTONA if possible.

I hope this helps anyone experiencing similar problems.

A little foot note, and I'm sorry its so long, but the mechanic also mentioned that one of my magnecor plug wires (#1 I believe-driver side front) was broken. He changed the one plug and put a temp wire. Puzzled on how that might have happened. Also, anyone got a spare plug wire - OEM or Magnecor?

Just wanna say thanks again. I've learned alot from this club!!!!

'We Fly High!!!'

Dont forget to lightly sand the mounting surfaces for the DIS and put down some Silver heat transfer compound. The new module won't last long with out it.

Nick

No doubt!!! That Arctic Silver stuff is amazing. I've used the white heatsink compound from Radio Shack in the past but it seems to me that the silver one works a whole lot better. Expensive though, but worth it, IMO. ($8-$12)

Thanks.

I have read about the arctic silver before. Who is it that sells it Supercoupe Performance?

I have read about the arctic silver before. Who is it that sells it Supercoupe Performance?

I am a computer tech, and I can vouch for Arctic Silver. I use it whenever I need thermal grease for computers I build. It is some great stuff. Also, to use it, make sure to clean both surfaces by sanding lightly and then cleaning with denatured alcohol. Once that's done, use a small amount of AS, and spread it with a credit card or something similar. Don't use too much or you will actually hurt yourself by building a barrier between the DIS and the mount, causing it to not use the mount as a heatsink, and we all know what happens then! Hope this helps!

Back