slave cylinder went tonite

blownbird2

well guys it craped the bed:( it started to get harder and harder to shift and the peddle got really lite . needless to say i had to turn the car off put it in 1st and start it and did about 8 mph on the way home while driving home i push the peddle rite to the floor and nothing happened
i was wondering if anybody knew if thats what let go .cause i have a brand new clutch. so it must be the slave
does anybody know of a good brand to buy??
thanks guys

I think it failed on me last night. I was sitting at a light and I couldn't get it in first gear. Then I realized that the pedal was near the floor and would not come back up. I was able to get it into second and drive a few blocks home. A few days ago I noticed that I had to add fluid to the clutch for like the first time ever. That should have been the clue. Of course the fluid is down again now (maybe out!). I presume this is a dead slave cylinder?????

Jon

Been there, done that...

Mine went a couple of months ago just as it was starting to dip below freezing temperatures. All I can say is do everything at once. Clutch, slave, rear main seal, flywheel, pilot bearing/bushing, and master cylinder. I got everything from Checkers Auto. The reason I replaced the flywheel was because it was going to cost $40 to have it machined and a new one (with a core exchange) cost $45. Amazing, huh? Anyway...get the Raybestos slave and master cylinders. The slave cylinder came with a throwout bearing. Hope that helps.

Yah mien went when it got cold as well..My Clutch only has 2,000 miles on her but insure if they did that when they did the clutch

Thanks for the leads and advice! I'll be looking into it this weekend. Luckily the TBird is not my daily driver so I have a little time. Jon

Based on my calf muscle I doubt the lux is comparabel to the Spec stage 1 althought it may be a great clutch/bargain none the less

Just a FYI to anyone who has a clutch replaced should replace the slave at the same time. After all the trans needs to come out and I like only doing it once.;)
Blownbird2 you might just have a leak in your line or your bleeder is loose and just maybe you lost your master cylinder for the clutch.

I've pretty much verified that the slave is failing. It is interesting that a week or so ago I drove the car about 30 miles around town on errands with no problem. Then, less than a week ago I back out of the garage into the street and boom clutch near the floor again. I struggled to get it in gear and back in the garage where it now sits. I'm set up for getting it into my mechanic on Monday for a complete clutch job. I'll let you know how it goes. Jon

Back