Momentary tachometer drops

kendall221

Over the last 2 months while driving to work, I've observed my tachometer to momentarily drop to zero, and then just as quickly go right back to where it was before. I've seen this happen about 5 times. When this happens, there are no other problems with the car. It does not stumble or anything. The service engine light has not come on, but I have not checked for codes. Both the cam sensor and DIS module are about 2 years old, and both are Motorcraft.

The car is a '95 SC with 5-speed; stock everything and 160,000 miles.

Any ideas on what would cause this? Thanks for any help.

David

On mine it was the DIS module. It finally got to the point where the the tach wouldn't work at all. There were no other symptoms and the car ran fine.

thats funny my 92 doe the same thing but then it will shut down and then it wont wanna start again but it will take a few min b4 it will shut down i changed the dis but didnt think about that sensor will try that today did get the tune tune up done, that helped alot of the prob

For the 92 SC your problem is more likely the crank sensor going intermittent. Without the crank sensor the engine...she don't run. With a portion of the DIS bad the car will run just fine but the tach may not work. It all depends on what discrete components inside the DIS happen to fail. If the werong part of the DIS fails...then the engine may not run at all or may run badly since the DIS controls the coil firing for all the cylinders.

Back