When to get a chip/tune

SRT-4

My car is comming out in the soon with MP package #2, and full boltons cam and #42 injectors, I was wondering when a chip would be needed, Is there any other ways to "tune" these cars. I remember reading that if you disconect something it will retard timming. does the stock computer do much to help with mods

A mail order chip even if from a reputable source is never the best answer. Best off waiting for a dyno tune day from someoen reputable or getting it doen at a local reputable shop.

A tune would be a good idea but may not be needed at his point...Some would say you should get yoru car tuned every time you change something..Some say it be ok.

Good idea however to throw it up on a dyno and get an A/F curve..That will tell alot about wether you need a tune or not

My car is comming out in the soon with MP package #2, and full boltons cam and #42 injectors, I was wondering when a chip would be needed, Is there any other ways to "tune" these cars. I remember reading that if you disconect something it will retard timming. does the stock computer do much to help with mods

I am pretty much doing what you are doing plus more. I am going to buy a sct chip that is burnt according to the modifications done to my car.

This is not the best way, like Damon said. But, I don't have anyone close to me that has the capabilities to dyno tune my car.

So when I get my burnt chip, I will take it very easy on the car, and drive it to my buddy's dyno just to make sure the AFR is at least close enough to not hurt anything etc. If everything looks decent enough that I wont be damaging anything by driving it, then next time dave Dalke does a dyno tune session I will get my car fine tuned.

The thing with buying a burnt chip is, it should be able to dial your car in pretty close to where it needs to be, but as it has been said many times, every car responds a little differently to different mods therefore requiring a little different tune from the next car.

chris.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I'm a n00b but can you go a step back, what are they going to change with a tune, On my last car (SRT-4) I could use a MAP clamp to hide boost from the computer, I also had a wastegate that I could use to up the boost and as long as I watched my A/F on the wideband I'd be fine,

but back to SC's even if I got a "pre burnt" chip how do I dial it 100%

I'm sorry I'm a n00b but can you go a step back, what are they going to change with a tune, On my last car (SRT-4) I could use a MAP clamp to hide boost from the computer, I also had a wastegate that I could use to up the boost and as long as I watched my A/F on the wideband I'd be fine,

but back to SC's even if I got a "pre burnt" chip how do I dial it 100%

Curtis,

You can't dial it in 100% unless you buy the software and chip burner, get a wide band 02 and learn how to tune it yourself. SCT has the best software/chip for our cars. With SCT you can change just about anything the computer controls.

You can get a chip from Dave Dalke that is close, then wait till he's in STL to re-tune Rod's car and probably a few others around here, and get him to road and dyno tune it. He tuned pretty much all the STL area cars.

David

Curtis,

You can't dial it in 100% unless you buy the software and chip burner, get a wide band 02 and learn how to tune it yourself. SCT has the best software/chip for our cars. With SCT you can change just about anything the computer controls.

You can get a chip from Dave Dalke that is close, then wait till he's in STL to re-tune Rod's car and probably a few others around here, and get him to road and dyno tune it. He tuned pretty much all the STL area cars.

David

Great, I'll have to get one, is it plug and play? I hope that I'm done by the time the STL cars get tuned. I had a SAFCII and a wideband before and I got it to do 12.0/1 all the way across the band
(where does the chip plug in go for the SC)

Anytime that you change injectors or do major mods going from a stock blower and intercooler to an MPIII and an FMIC a tune is completely necessary. I wouldn't even say it is negotiable.

I hope that I'm done by the time the STL cars get tuned.

It's looking like it will be a month or two before we'll all be ready for a tuning/dyno day. I'll keep you up to date as things progress.

The chip plugs directly into your EEC (computer), which is located in the passenger side kickpanel.

-Rod

Anytime that you change injectors or do major mods going from a stock blower and intercooler to an MPIII and an FMIC a tune is completely necessary. I wouldn't even say it is negotiable.

Does this only pertain to major changes?

Back