Mustang 3.8 project

edb2007

I have been a member of www.allfordmustangs.com for awile now and most of them tell me that the SC from the thunderbird is inefficient and would be a waste of my time to install...

So i figured instead of talking to people who dislike the supercoupe... talk to people who specialize is them...

Ok lets get down to business....

1995 Ford Mustang 3.8

What differences are there betwene the SC's on the thunderbirds?
good-better-best
year to year
main change
boost ratings

Also...

What differences are there betwene the Supercoupe Motors?
good-better-best
year to year
main changes

your better off getting a supercoupe motor since it has lower compression and better parts in it then a normal 3.8 the heads are supercoupe specific and flow better. I'd just find a decent running supercoupe motor and put that in there complete from intercooler to wiring harness. I can't see you being able to run much boost on a 3.8na motor

your better off getting a supercoupe motor since it has lower compression and better parts in it then a normal 3.8 the heads are supercoupe specific and flow better. I'd just find a decent running supercoupe motor and put that in there complete from intercooler to wiring harness. I can't see you being able to run much boost on a 3.8na motor

ok matt from delk runs 12 or 13 psi through his 95 block.... pushing 700 horses!!!

anyways my friend just slid his SC into a telephone pole the other day. I will be buying the whole car from him for $400. its a 1989 auto. still runs and drives. but we just got snow this morning so without a rear window and qtr window it might be chilly hahah. anyways im thinking of getting that and selling parts off it, but pulling everything i need first. thinking if i pull the motor might rebuild it before i throw it in.

do you know what i all need to do to put a 89 motor into my 95?

If i have the complete motor will it just bolt right in??

do i have to change some wiring harnesses??

what wires on the harness do i need to lengthen??
i know its like the MAF and some Injectors...

do i need any computers?

what type of rear end is in the SC... i know mines a 7.5 with 3.73's... not posi trac tho..

where can i go to get my supercharger rebuilt and ported.

what differences are there form the 89 vs the 95 supercharger?

would it be a hassle to get a 95 and c hange it out?

SC heads flow better? Neve rheard that they are the same heads but the SC heads have less cooling jackets so they are stronger cause they have more meat onthem, but the runners should be the same as a NA head.

As for the mustang motor, its has a higher compression so it will make more power witht he Mustang rods/pistons, but the SC bottom end (crank/block) are much stronger thus better.

Currently I run a 97 Mustang block with the Supercoupe blower and net 200 RWHP 332 RWTQ, )10% OD on blower, plus SCI underdrives) stock open diff rear end with 273 gears and slicks I ran a 14.0 at the trtack with a 1.88 60ft. Once I get my t-lok and 373 gears installed ( the 8.8 rear end is ready to go in) then I should get mid tolow 13's on a basically stock setup.

Since you can get the entire motor, thats a bonus, the SCT xcal with a tune is only $400, Justin over on V6Power has tuned MANY SC swap mustangs, so he can get your real close right away, he did mine.

Can't go wrong for the money spent.

If you need help with how to get everything setup ont he Mustang let me know.

thanks man... i will need alot of help... but first im going to tear into the motor and rebuild it

do not use the 89 SC wireing harness in the mustang.:rolleyes: just extend wires swap sensors. and a few other things.

the Mustang engine is not as strong as the SC engine as said above(stock parts).

i run a 95 stang Block with good internals. not stock. i also run alot more then 12-13psi.

and the M90 is limited to a point in hp potential. soo you better decide what kinda power you want to make. cause much more then 450rwhp and the M90 is DEAD.

do you think i should use my block or the SC block?

what type of intrnals do you have?

does anyone know where to get a milled crank... if im going to do the bottom end im going as strong as possible...

would i have any issues with using a 4.2 crank???

i know the eaton is limited but ive heard upto 500HP. When and if i get to that point i will trade the eaton for a P&P split port heads and intake, larger centrifugal SC... maybe turbo... but thats for after im out of college!

supercoupe heads deffinetely do not flow better. The port design and bowl design are both identical SC to NA. The deck is thicker though, and they are stronger...than NA heads of those years. But 96-98 NA heads are the same thing.

Matt running 12-13psi? hahaha.

If you want to make good power, the M90 is not your 'efficient' route, per say. But it is a start I suppose. You might consider a bigger blower or a turbo though. But you can easily hit 13's with a mostly stock SC engine in a mustang, no problem.

-Thomas

do you think i should use my block or the SC block?

what type of intrnals do you have?

does anyone know where to get a milled crank... if im going to do the bottom end im going as strong as possible...

would i have any issues with using a 4.2 crank???

i know the eaton is limited but ive heard upto 500HP. When and if i get to that point i will trade the eaton for a P&P split port heads and intake, larger centrifugal SC... maybe turbo... but thats for after im out of college!

More to add...

Matt is running Forged I-Beam rods, Forged 8.2:1 pistons, a CAST 4.2 crank, stock stud girdle, and I believe .030 overbore. Sounds like a weak combo but obviously it holds 28psi so it can't be too bad, right?

A milled crank? You mean a custom billet one? $$$$ you're looking at about 2000 dollars for the crank alone.

Like I said earlier, Matt has a cast Ford 4.2 crank, so it seems they can take some abuse.

If you're going to do this entire swap just to change it completely in the future you are wasting your time. You're better off getting a split-port engine with ported heads, intake, and a cam to start off with. That will net you about 220rwhp and 14's in the 1/4mi. If you want more after that, put on whatever power adder you want to get more.

-Thomas

oh man. like thomas said. i have I beams. and forged pistons. but i Do not have a stock stud girdle. i have one thats alittle better then a stock ford girdle. but not much lol.

umm they say the 01-04 blocks are the best. mine has held up soo far. thats all i know for sure.

why would you Mill(turn) a new crank? cause i would start with a new crank. cheap and easy.

also why in the world would you build a combo. then swap the heads intake and power adder. it has been proven that the single ports can and Do make sick power.

good luck makeing 500rwhp out of a little M90.

whats his name, slvr03stang or something. He went 14.1 with 220rwhp. Not many people in the 13's NA. Didnt you go 12's NA matt? thats crazy.

whats his name, slvr03stang or something. He went 14.1 with 220rwhp. Not many people in the 13's NA. Didnt you go 12's NA matt? thats crazy.

Kirk would have went 13 Easy. he just didn't use the Footbrake. he was trying to win a bracket race. his car went 14.1 leaveing the line at Idle.

more then a few have been 13s Na. two have been 12s. and one has been 11s.

If Kirk can run low 14's on 220 rwhp and low torque( compared to the SC) then 220 RWHP on a SC motor will run 13's EASY!!!!!!!!!!!! The SC motor gets way more TQ. Heck I am gonna run mid to low 13's on 200 RWHP, a littl emore and I may run 12's.

was wondering how your coming along with this swap? im in the process of buying a sc to throw in my mustang, and would like to know how difficult it has been an what all tips ya had to give... thanks in advanced

well i looked at the car for the first time sence the accident today... its bad... but the motor and tranny are perfect... he said the first 400 takes it and im going to get it friday and then pull it to my house..... there i will park it until i get a cherry picker and motor stand... then I plan to put the motor into my garage and start tearing down, rebuilding and upgrading!!!

well anyone need some parts its a 1989 automatic w/140,000 miles, has black interion "MINT" and white exterior "all needs paint" has everything to sell except

motor
drivers qtr panel
passenger qtr panel
drivers qtr window
rear window
roof assembly

and some misc. electronic parts i might need for the swap

very cheap!!

anyways i guess the SC was just rebuilt like 2000 miles ago and thiers new Plugs, wires, battery, tires, comes with 4 extra NEW tires, JBL sound system!!

just wondering what EXACTLY must I do to install this...

be prepared for everything!!

want it to be a weekend swap when the motors done

Back