My transmission is shot, i have a question about a replacement...

SPOON69

I have an 89 SC, i need a replacement tranny. I plan on keeping this car 100% stock, how much does an AODE run cost wise? a good rebuilt one? or should i just stick to getting mine rebuilt. I dont need a fancy tranny that can handle stupid power, as i said the car will be running at stock power levels. Isnt there an upgrade kit for the aod?

Search ebay in the parts and accessories section under thunderbird. I saw one on there yesterday. It's a rebuilt one with warranty. I think it was around $500 buy it now price, which is way cheaper than a rebuild at any local transmission shop. Good luck.

I got a nice rebuild for $1600. That's a little high because the cost of living is bad here in Philadelphia, but expect to pay a lot for a good rebuild. (If I had installed it myself, it would have been $1100.)

After that car was wrecked, I got another which needed a transmission. I bought a recent rebuild, lightly used, for $200, and spent about $700 for some seal replacements, shift lever swap, and installation. The transmission came from a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis, and has held up pretty well so far. Sometimes I think it slips on downshifts ... I'm a little nervous about it. I want my expensive rebuild back (GRR...)!

If you found a good used trans and could install it yourself, you could get away pretty well. But be sure your trans will be a direct swap. For example, you shouldn't use an AOD that was behind any V6 other than the SC, because it can't handle the power. Even a 5.0 one is iffy. And transmissions from the Mustang and Crown Vic need a different shift lever, so you will have to drop the pan and swap. Don't get a police-package Crown Vic trans, because it has a longer tailshaft housing and won't fit.

Good luck!

how much would a new 4r70w cost?

Can't use that transmission unless you plan on changing the computer and wiring harness, and a bunch of other crap. Just go to your local tranny shop and get it rebuilt for about $1200-$1500 or buy a used tranny and take your chances.

David

if your car is stock go to the junkyard and get one one out of a mustang should be fine and will hold up to an sc motor fine.

A quick question...

What causes you to believe the tranny is shot? I'm not doubting that it is, but before you go down the rebuild/replacement road let's make sure that it isn't an adjustment issue.

If you do need a rebuild/replacement, you might be able to get by with an AOD from a 5.0 Mustang. The main problem with using this AOD is the OD servo. The "5.0 AOD" typically has a "B" servo which isn't quite up to handling the torque from our SC's. The SC AOD has the "A" servo. There are also some issues with differences in the governor. Depending on how you drive, these differences may not present any problems, but after removing and installing an AOD in my SC, it's not a job I would like to do every couple of years...(even though it would probably get easier the more times I did it :D ).

Lets make sure you need a tranny before investing time, effort, and money in another one.

Have you done this before? Do you have any clue as to what you just assumed?

I'm not 100% sure taht the internals are exactly the same but they should be. It will bolt up perfectly its the same exact tranny. All you have to use is your tbird shifter cable and tv cable. I'd imagine the 5.0 mustang tranny will hold up fine since it has the more hp than a stock sc does.

They're not exactly the same. The internals are a little different (the overdrive servos LJ mentioned) and you need to swap the shift lever, which requires pulling the pan. Otherwise, it will bolt up perfectly. Bear in mind that the 5.0L Mustang had much less torque than the SC. Unfortunately, that means that its OD servo is weaker, and has less clamping power for 4th gear.

You could always throw your A servo into the other trans and swap governors. I have an A servo and SC governor thats going into my old 83 Tbird AOD case. There is a reason Ford put these parts in the SC trans:)

I was under the impression the the 1st gear ratio was different in the SC AOD than any other AOD. This was due the the portly SC weight. Any truth to this? If so, then it would be worth it to have the old trany rebuilt.
Just a thought.

The only aod with a different ratio was a very very rare 93 SV0 unit. You won't find one. Effectively they had the 4r70w gearset installed in them. Doing a 4r70w swap is just plain complicated. with these transmissions I suggest either getting a junkyard unit and hoping for the best or prepare to put some serious coinage into it to do it properly.
Alan

Back