mass air screen?

ratedpg89

i have noticed that all the aftermarket maf sensors dont have the screen in them like my stock one does, i have been told that i will help performance to remove it . any thoughts on this?thanks

Hmm, my stock sample tube doesn't have a screen in it.

I'm sure the performance units remove the screen as the screen can cause turbulance in the air flowing over the maf sensor.

dump the screen

Just so you can get a somewhat technical idea about the screen...
I read an article a while ago regarding factory screens over airflow sensors on the intake, and basically, they're useless. They're put there as extra protection for the idiot who decides to run without an airfilter, or mis-seals the air filter. So, the screen prevents a small rock from hitting the blower or intake manifold. When flow-tested, most stock screens are made out of a mesh that doesn't flow horribly well, usually resulting in a vacuum test in a loss of a small amount of vacuum, due to swirls around the screen filter. Again, this probably isn't going to up you and horsepower, but you can take it off and not worry. This article was in regards to lo-cost mod's by using a homemade vacuum tester, and with some cars using horribly engineered air intakes (...Audi...) or with some rip-off "racing" air intakes, they found that reshaping some plastic and dumping any unnecessary flow restrictions resulted in a few extra horsepower.
Late!
------Dylan

one last bit...

the screen on the thunderbird MAF doesn't need to be cut out. It's held in using an expanding clip. If you can get a descent set of hog ring wires, you can get ahold of the two hole in the ring, compress it, and slip it out along with the screen.
Late!
------Dylan

Is it possible that the maf is calibrated with the screen in, and removing it would cause the MAF to read incorrectly?

Not worth it IMO.

replace that small one with a screen with a bigger one without screen i have just what you need to make your car run better. it is a 70mm maf from my 92 SC yours is a 55mm maf. $55.00 plus shipping. Also have a brand new 70mm bbk throttle body that will give you a big gain in performance with that 70mm maf.
EDWIN_HOUSE@MSN.COM

Last edited:
Back