annoying car not starting problem

bigcletus94

usually if i have driven it for awhile and try to start it shortly after parking it and shuting it off, it cranks for a while before it will start. Or sometimes in the moring it will do the same thing. But then sometimes, it just starts normal. What the hell could be causing this? Very annoying. The old motor did it too but not as frequent.

Could the cam sensor cause this if it was off just a little in positioning? Thanks for any info.

Not likely the cam sensor, but possible. Unless you move the cam shaft itself, there's only one way the sensor will go on. I'd look at the crank sensor. If, when you're cranking the motor over, the up arrow lites up and stays lit, then its the crank sensor. Also, it could be your DIS/ICM.. they are notorious for breaking down due to heat. In fact, Ford recall many cars for that very problem. But, I don't think the Tbirds were part of it.

is the DIS different from the coil pack under the hood? Where is the DIS? Is it expensive? Crank sensor is new.... Cam sensor housing has to be timed perfectly or the fuel system will be out of time with the motor. That is straight from my Helm service manual. Tool for syncing it is in the mail.

The DIS/ICM is the gray plastic case on top of the A/C compressor bracket with connectors on each end. They had a habit of overheating and causing the car to shut off, but I don't think the Tbirds were included in a recall. You should try to pull codes to see if the EEC can confirm it for you.

There was a problem with a big shortage of these not too long ago, but I think they are readily available now. You can check out Autozone.com or PartsAmerica.com to see what the price ranges are.
At partsamerica, look under ignition & Tune-up/Ignition module, Control Unit. There is a Niehoff brand (P/N FF414) for $113, or GP Sorenson brand (P/N EL146) for about the same price.

Something else to try is to remove the ICM from the bracket and check for a consistent layer of heatsink grease underneath.
Hope this helps.

Oh, and one other thing.. your cam sensor shouldn't need any adjustment UNLESS you removed the cam shaft drive gear itself. The tool and/or trying to align the crank to some spot isn't necessary. Did you have the timing cover off or the engine dissassembled or something major like that?

TbirdSCFan said:
. Did you have the timing cover off or the engine dissassembled or something major like that?

Yes. New long block from ford. I had to assemble most of it. That is why I dont think my cam sensor housing is adjusted right. The dealer had looked at it and that is what they thought too by the way it runs. It doesnt run bad. Doesnt seem to have as much power as it used to with the old motor. But the main problem is that it just cranks too long to start most of the time. It also did this with the old motor but more frequent now.

I have a 94' and the DIS/ICM is not in the same place as yours. I will check my service manual to see if it gives the location of it.

My question is, is it possible that the DIS/ICM is causing my car to start hard sometimes? I have replaced pretty much everything else!

Back