Sunroof "chatters" when opening into vent position

mcate

I posted this over on TCCoA & got no replies. I've searched & found a few threads, but I couldn't find any that address my particular problem. This is on my '96 LX. My sunroof (moonroof) motor keeps running & chattering instead of stopping when I pop the glass up into the vent position. I picked up another motor at the local junkyard & did the resynchronization procedure, but the symptoms are the same. When I resynch it & open the window back into the roof, the glass stops "electrically" just before being fully opened via the cam/microswitch on the motor as designed. And then the motor stops "mechanically" when the glass is fully retracted & cannot travel further. But it keeps running & gets out of synch when I open it to the vent position. I think it's supposed to "mechanically" stop when it can't open any further. Looking at the pics in my service manual, I'm thinking the problem is in whatever mechanism that the motor operates, like a gearbox or something. Anyone else had this issue?

Back