Need New Battery

I got the ones for my white SC and XR7 at NAPA. Just got the one the book listed as correct for SC's. They seem to be good batteries; no problems so far. After I peeled the stickers off, they look fairly original (at least unobtrusive), if that's important to you. You can see how the one in my SC looks on my member page.

JD

Same Question

So Far No One Answered. What Is The Correct Anps 560? 700? Don`t Answer With A Red Top Or Optima. A Reguler Battery. Just Need To Know The Correct Amps It Should Have.

my duralast red top from autozone has 750 cold cranking amps. i've never had a problem with it. i dont know what it should be but thats what im running with no problems.

every mn12 thunderbird that I have owned had a 850cca battery, 1000ca. Thats what I have always replaced them with, no problems.

Last edited:
DIehard Gold there is no other 3 year free replacement warranty definetly worth the $$

I have that in all my cars

So Far No One Answered. What Is The Correct Anps 560? 700? Don`t Answer With A Red Top Or Optima. A Reguler Battery. Just Need To Know The Correct Amps It Should Have.

That basic information is available at any parts store on the little electronic applications computer in front of the battery displays.

Battery

Auto Zone should that I needed a 560 amp So I bought it. It works fine. But, I will get a bigger Battery anyway. Thanks.

Auto Zone should that I needed a 560 amp So I bought it. It works fine. But, I will get a bigger Battery anyway. Thanks.

Autozone's website list the OEM spec as 650. Yes...you can use a larger or smaller capacity battery, but that's not the question you asked.

David

make sure when you go to the autoparts store to get one you get one for a SC because it has a higher cold cranking amps than a normal 3.8. A 5.0, 4.6, and 3.8sc all have the same listing for a battery but the 3.8NA is lower

Battery

Best for the price can be found at any Wal-Mart. Ever Start 58-3S is the Part Number. It's a smaller size, and they don't make this size in the Maxx-Start line, which has the best warranty(3 yr.free replacement). I've got this battery in both my SC's,91 and 95, and have never had a problem with either of them. This is the best battery for the price if you are on a budget.
They are around 55 bucks out the door.

You can also go with a Die-Hard, which is a great battery, but will set you back over $100.Avail. at any Sears.
If you want the ultimate, go for the Optima. It is the best without question, due to its advanced design and exteme durability.Naturally, it's also the most expensive.They go for 115-150, with the best deal being at Costco.

Average Life for a battery is 5-10 years. An SC has a high battery load with so many systems relying on good voltage for proper function.I suggest having your charging system checked out every time you replace a battery just to make sure that everything else is working like it should.

Personally, I go for the cheapies. Their life span is not that much less than the high dollar ones. Wal-Mart stands behind the warrantee's if it goes out before it's time.I've had good luck with them, and would prefer to save the money.
Others want the best, and will get a few more more years out of them probably, but I've seen the high dollar ones fade out just like the budget ones.
It's a personal choice which you opt for.
One thing though, I try to stay away from AutoZone if possible. I've found that Kragens, and even Pep Boys, have better quality parts than AZ.

Good Luck with it! ~Dave

DIehard Gold there is no other 3 year free replacement warranty definetly worth the $$

I have that in all my cars

CSK Auto
40 Mo.(3yr. 4mo.) Free Replacement / 108 Mo. Prorate

Exide Battery: Marathon®; 108 Month; 750 Cold Cranking Amps; 890 Cranking Amps; 160 Minutes Reserve Capacity

$110
Depending on where you live there might be a cupon for the battery so you could get it for less, usally around $10.

Last edited:
whats CSK?

never heard of that
my friend has the optima in his cumaro

he got it the battery was dead we jump started it

car still dead when he shut it off BUT the car stayed running with the battery disconnected :confused:

CSK is Checkers, Shucks, Kragens, Murrays & Parts America which are really anal about customer service. They aren't on the east coast yet mostly on the west coast & some in texas & as far east in the north as Ohio I believe. Unfortunately there are none in NY where it looks like you are.
The vehicle would still run off the alternator when the battery is disconnected, but is highly not recomended because the computer runs mainly off the battery.
But for a camaro depending on the year, its still bad for the vehicle for it to do that. Take the battery to where he got it w/ the receipt or to some other auto place & make sure it's dead and that there's no other problems.

Last edited:
advance auto parts uses partsamerica on their website they are the best around I think but the closest one is 40 min away from me

Back