Egr delete question!

Sampo

I did a search but I want to be 100% sure.

I have unblocked the egr wires and car runs great and no codes. But what will happen if I delete/block the hole behind inlet plenum and also block the other "head" with nut? Will I get the codes or what?

I make it simple. If I have a car with original egr system and I delete it. The whole system. Will it cause the problems or not?:confused:

To delete the entire egr....typically you unbolt it from the inlet and fabricate some kind of delete block. The Kurt Sunday way is to trim out a piece of soda can, rtv it and rebolt it. I would try something a little more sturdy :)

Then block off the bung from your manifold. A great way is to hack your EGR tube in half and steal the swivel nut from it. Then place a penny inside the nut and tork it back onto the bung. Presto...you have an adequate cap nut.

Finally, keep the electronic PFE module plugged in! You know, that small black box up by your inlet.

Now, what you have just done is made your a/f ratio leaner under part throttle due to a more fresh intake charge. I was as high as 13.5:1. I didn't freak out over it, but some people get nervous if it's over 12:5:1. Don't worry about WOT, it will be ok since EGR never works at WOT.

The good part is you now don't have to mess with any of the EGR components when doing routine work on your car! Oh, and as for codes...you might still get codes even with the PFE plugged in. But the car should run fine.

Is that why my check engine light is still on? It's been on since '99 so I almost forgot it's supposed to be off!

As for EGR....it's an emissions/fuel economy device. Helps both. You want to delete it because it has to be removed each time your yank the blower (PITA). Also because they get brittle and usually break when you try to remove them. Finally, to shag weight. There is probably no real performance gain, but if you don't like a cluttered engine bay and strive for mechanical simplicity (can you even say that with an SC?) then ditch the thing.

There is probably no real performance gain, but if you don't like a cluttered engine bay and strive for mechanical simplicity (can you even say that with an SC?) then ditch the thing.

Man, that was a good explanation!:D

Back