Turbo Project!

dfroirvde

i have an 89 5spd and a motor from a 94 auto, i am planning on rebuilding the 94 motor and putting that into my 89. then i am going to get rid of the supercharger and put on a garret t3 turbo. what do you guys think? any advice? i think it should run well (at least around the neighborhood) because the computer already runs the fuel for a boosted motor

People have turboed these motors before. I know there are some complications with that MAF, you'll need to get a blow through and locate it after the BOV. Also, some people did not have any luck with the stock computer system, and they switched to an aftermarket computer. I'm sure other people who are better versed in the project, and have actually done a turbo swap will chime in to provide more info.

well the way i figure it...stock motor makes no boost at idle and neither will a turbo. so i think that if i just stay out of boost until i get a tuner i will be ok

i have an 89 5spd and a motor from a 94 auto, i am planning on rebuilding the 94 motor and putting that into my 89. then i am going to get rid of the supercharger and put on a garret t3 turbo. what do you guys think? any advice? i think it should run well (at least around the neighborhood) because the computer already runs the fuel for a boosted motor

I think a t3 is too small unless your going with twins. A 60mm w/T04 flange would proably be a better match. Really depends on how much power you plan to make. It will be easier to tune using the stock EEC if you go with a draw thru MAF (before turbo inlet) and use a recirculating bypass valve instead of a BOV vented to atmosphere.

Talk to one of the turbo suppliers before getting to far along. Brian at B&G custom turbo fabrication would be a good place to start. If your serious about this project I would also suggest some heavy reading over on turbomustangs.com

David

well i got the garret t3 for free, so thats why im going to use it. we have a feeling that it will choke out the motor in the top end because the turbo is so small. i plan on getting a holset from a cummins diesel when the money is there.

Last edited:
the garret and the holset both take a t3 flange. so if i swap out turbos all i have to do is re-weld the downpipe connection and make a couple new mounts, all that will only take a couple hours max

well i got the garret t3 for free, so thats why im going to use it. we have a feeling that it will choke out the motor in the top end because the turbo is so small. i plan on getting a holset from a cummins diesel when the money is there.

What makes you think the diesel turbo will be any better ? It has to be properly sized or it's going to run worse than what you already have. If your just doing this so you can say "I've got a turbo" then motor on. If you want it to be an improvement over what you already have, you need to reconsider your approach to this project.

David

a lot of the guys over on turbo ford use the same turbo for their mustangs and they work really well apparently. i guess the holset has two chambers in it which makes the turbo spool faster for lower rpms, im not sure how it works but thats what they use. and i figure its a fair enough guess that it will work for me too.

Back