95 wont start, perhaps voltage relay?

laketahoe1990

my 95 5speed wont start,
tested solenoid working
tested clutch/starter switch at pedal ...ok
now thinking voltage relay ... any experiences/advice out there? :confused:

Does it turn over at all? Got spark? Got fuel? Have you tried scanning for codes? Does your upshift light stay on while cranking? What were the circumstances leading up to the no start?

thanks Kevin ... anyone else?

Does it turn over at all? Got spark? Got fuel? Have you tried scanning for codes? Does your upshift light stay on while cranking? What were the circumstances leading up to the no start?

Thanks Kevin.... got, gas, spark ... no code tester ... it all began when occationally nothing happened when i turned the key, then i found if i rolled the car a few feet then tried it would start, ... now that doesn't work, only a hill or push start works now... almost like the clutch/start switch not working ... yet we tested it ... looking for more ideas or experiences

So right now when you turn the key to "START" the engine doesn't turn over at all? Are you hearing a click from the starter relay? Are you sure your battery is good? Have you tested the starter? Have you looked at the ignition switch itself?

Not related, but you don't need a code reader to scan for codes on these EEC-IV cars. You can do it with a jumper wire. I believe the procedure has been posted here a few times. You can also find the procedure elsewhere on the net.

So right now when you turn the key to "START" the engine doesn't turn over at all? Are you hearing a click from the starter relay? Are you sure your battery is good? Have you tested the starter? Have you looked at the ignition switch itself?

Not related, but you don't need a code reader to scan for codes on these EEC-IV cars. You can do it with a jumper wire. I believe the procedure has been posted here a few times. You can also find the procedure elsewhere on the net.

thanks again Kevin
no start action at all, when engaging the ignition switch we hear sounds from 3 locations under the hood, one may be the starter relay ... is the starter relay located near the HV fuse box on driver side? ... possible that the ignition switch would show all go and make sounds under the hood if its was bad? we might try jump wiring the start/clutch pedal switch to make that possiblity go away ... looking for some one who has had similar problems out there

I once had trouble with the small wire to the starter being loose and making intermittent contact. The solenoid would click and not crank. It's a slip-on spade lug and had lost it's grip. Reach under the car and feel around on the end of the starter for the skinny wire below the main 12v cable. Wiggle it and make sure it's got good contact then try to start it again. If it cranks ok then, replace the spade lug on the wire.

I've also had that problem on two of my cars as well. I know numerous other people have had the same issue. Good suggestion. I always forget the easy stuff.

On the replacement starter I bought from NAPA it came with a screw post for an eyelet and had a spade to screw-on eyelet adapter with it to solve the problem.

Back