Car heater not working? Get an electric blanket.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
The heater core in my drag racer had developed a leak a couple of years ago so I bypassed it. Now that I have to drive it everyday until my 35th is running again I didn't want to freeze my butt off in the cold. A friend told me about these ceramic heaters that plug into the cigarette lighter socket but at 300 watts and 900 btu how much could they really heat up the car. Then I found the electric blankets that plug into the cigarette light. Man, this thing works like a champ. Within a couple of minutes I'm nice and warm. I sit on it and wrap the lower half over my waist and legs and feel warmer than when the regular heat is on. It's got a heat level control and a timer in case you forget to unplug it. Target has them for $40 but I found one online at sportsimportsltd.com for $19.95 plus $8 shipping. I ordered it Sunday afternoon and it arrived Wed afternoon. Great service.

I figured you for the type of guy to just mount a festiva radiator in the pass side interior and run some lines outside and in the pass window :)

I used one of those ceramic heaters one night when it was about 40 and rainy. It was in my Cougar actually and it did a fine job. I suppose if the car is drafty, or the temp is down in the teens it might be a different story.

Back