brake light and abs light come on

mywhite89

Working on my buddy's 89 thunderbird sc, whenever he hits the brakes, the brake light and abs light comes on and the brakes have a funny feel to them initially. Anybody with a solution? I am guessing the accumulator ball next to the master cylinder, but I havent looked at the car yet.

Last edited:
yes its the ball it did the same thing to my sc. In my experiences you really don't have to fix it unless you want/need ABS. The brakes worked fine on mine I even felt the ball push back when I smashed the brake pedal all I got was both brake and ABS lights come on when I pressed the brakes. I also had a small leak at a junction block

he had a quick stop he had to make, and hit the back end of another car, didn't do much damage but that makes it worth just fixing

he had a quick stop he had to make, and hit the back end of another car, didn't do much damage but that makes it worth just fixing

well that sucks for the 6months I drove the car like that I never really had to stop quickly enough that ABS would have went on so I guess if he plans on driving the car like that than get it fixed like yesterday

www.priorreman.com Call them up and tell them what you need. Last I heard a few years ago was they were around $125.

Have you gone through Duffy's ABS article to make sure you have fully diagnosed the system?

I found a link to it, but the link was dead. Does anybody have an up to date link to that article? It'd be a shame if we lost that info. It is/was probably the best compilation of information on the early style ABS systems. It was also in an old Chargin' Thunder from 4-5 years ago, but you probably don't have access to that.

rather than start another thread with similar themes. I'll ask my question...becuase i think i may have the exact same problem.
My "brakes(!)" light stays lit while i drive but goes off when i use the brakes. My ABS works fine and the brakes even feel fine. I added fluid to it once already and it made the light go off, but now about a week or so later it's back on.

what could this be? I seem to be collecting a nice oil spot collection under the car and my buddy suspects the master cylinder might have a nice sized leak.

Any ideas?

well if your adding fluid your leaking it brake fluid then you have a leak brake fluid doesn't burn off or get used under normal instances, the only time its normal for brake fluid to evaporate is when the car has sat for a few years then it MIGHT start to evaportate but if your using the car regualry you should never add fluid unless your leaking it.

Back