abs actualator...

Hmm, Accumulator I'll assume.

It's labeled in the picture below. It's visible to the left of the master cylinder kinda buried.

absactuator.jpg

You have to remove the wiper arms, lower windshield cowls and wiper trans to make enough room to get it out.
I changed my accumulator in one hour flat yesterday.

hmm... the code the mechanic came up with was an actualator(excuse my speeling if its wrong) he said its not an accumulator, unless its the same thing. but i replaced my accumulator in april.
thanks for the replys

I think he might be referring to the acuator which isn't a good problem to have. That's would mean you would need the whole unit replaced which is $400-$500 from Prior-Reman or $2000 from Ford.

Why do you think you need one???

Do your brakes work???

If your hydraulic pump (actuator or whatever) is bad, you can't wait till later if you want to drive the car because you don't have any brakes without it. At least not enough brakes to be safe.

What symptoms are you experiencing that makes you "think" you need a new system? I'm not sure I would make this investment based on some codes that a mechanic pulled from the ABS controller.

If it is bad, go to Prior and get a Teves Mark II ABS unit. If you ordered the accumulator from them, they will cut a deal on the unit without the accumulator. Just swap the one you recently installed onto the new system.

Hey Larry, do you have the site handy for Prior?? or a number, Looks like I'm going to need a few parts for this 35th, I'm having some wierd brake problems also..

my brakes work just fine, the stoopid light is just on and thats what they pulled up. i can't drive my too far anyway becouse my gears start grinding after 10-15 mins. if i really need a whole unit i am going to order it next week after i pay off my credit card and have them put it in when they do the mounts. i have to go else where for the tranny rather than my regular mechanic. either way everything has to get done before i go back to college in a few weeks.

thanks guys, you're really a big help. thanks

HCU = Hydraulic Control Unit. The expensive assembly which Ford sells for around $1200 (or more?). Includes the main body valve (aka master cylinder), solenoid valve block, hydraulic pump (the pricey part no doubt), reservoir, accumulator (big steel high pressure reservoir), and pressure switch.

Most frequent failed part = accumulator. They live for around 10 years and thats it. You can get a Ford replacement for around $250, or you can get an aftermarket equivalent from a place like prior remanufacturing for around $100.
Hope this helps.:)

Back