Cold air intake bypass valve

Ben999_

I was talkin to a buddy of mine the other day about problems with sucking up water through a CAI if it's lower to the ground, like behind the bumper cover. He told me to use an intake bypass valve like this one here. I was wondering if anyone had any negative opinions on this type of system. It's supposed to suck in air through the valve instead of the actual filter when it's submerged in water. I don't know if it will activate when the filter is not fully submerged though, so maybe water will still come up.

I don't really see what that is going to do because its still gonna suck isn't it? I had my CAI in the fenderwell and never sucked up anything

I've driven nervously through some flooded roads with my CAI in the fenderwell. I haven't had any problems taking in water though. I even disassembled my upper pipes to see if water had gotten in there but it hadn't. I think the oil on the cone filter repels most of it and the rest probably evaporates before hitting the TB. As long as you're not running WOT through the water, the suction probably isn't enough with normal driving. But that's just my theory and experience.

well on my 5.0 bird that I had before the SC, I had a CAI that was in the fenderwell and it sucked up water on multiple occasions. A couple of times it was enough to nearly stall it. This was caused by flooded roads, although it was over a course of about 2 years. I am just wondering if anyone has ever used one of these and if they do work.

well on my 5.0 bird that I had before the SC, I had a CAI that was in the fenderwell and it sucked up water on multiple occasions. A couple of times it was enough to nearly stall it. This was caused by flooded roads, although it was over a course of about 2 years. I am just wondering if anyone has ever used one of these and if they do work.

A little water isn't going to hurt anything. People inject all sorts of liquid into their intakes to cool the air charge. If you mount this bypass deal in your intake track it would help you avoid sucking up the REALLY large quantities of water that would be detrimental, however in reality if you're sucking up that much water you are probably driving somewhere that you shouldn't be.

A little water isn't going to hurt anything. People inject all sorts of liquid into their intakes to cool the air charge. If you mount this bypass deal in your intake track it would help you avoid sucking up the REALLY large quantities of water that would be detrimental, however in reality if you're sucking up that much water you are probably driving somewhere that you shouldn't be.

i agree with this. i little bit of water getting in fine. just dont drive thru a damn pond or anything lol ;)

Back