spark plug problem...

ThaileySC07

when i was removing the spark plugs the threading messed up, so now i cant put the new spark plug in...but if i do it just blows out, any ideas would be great!!!

so ur sayin the threads in the head is stripped ? well, i've never heard/seen this happen so i dont know the solution. a machine shop may be able to fix it or u may need a new head :(

hopefully some of the more experienced guys will chime in....

Ive had that problem before sorry to say I didnt find a easy fix. I had to take the head off and get a heli coil set from the auto store. Hope that isnt what you have to do.

spark plug heli coil. What you should do is heli coil it and since theres gonna be strips of metal going into your head its pretty risky. What I have done before that has worked is after you make the new threads is start the car without that plug in there and just the heli coil that should help shoot out all the loose bits of metal out the spart plug hole. Just give it a few small revs and that should belp shoot out the little pieces of metal. FYI autopart stores sell a heli coil kit for spark plugs.

when i was removing the spark plugs the threading messed up, so now i cant put the new spark plug in...but if i do it just blows out, any ideas would be great!!!

That's what happens when anti-seize is not used on the spark plug threads...big NO NO on aluminum heads. Most autoparts stores sell a spark plug thread repair kit such as described above. Unfortunatly it's going to be a real pain in the azz to fix. Good luck.

David

I would get a new head just to be on the safe side....

I had that happen on one of my Subarus, the mechanic at the dealer never told me about it :mad:.....

A piece of metal ended up between the piston and cylinder wall.....

I never had good compression on that cylinder after that....

I have a spare head, if you decide to go that route.....

Heli-coil will also work well, but I'd definately remove the head to do it for all the reasons listed above. If you pull the head(s), I'd do 'em all while I'm at it.

JD

Doing a helicoil without removing the head is a very BAD idea. I did one on my car a few years back and havent had any trouble from it.

Eddie and the others in that vein are right don't helicoil with the head on...best just go ahead and do a HG on both sides job and replace the bad head and be done with it. HG's are an eventuallity in these anyways...sorry bout the bad luck.

I would say its risky but if you don't have the time or if that car isn't worth the money just heli coil it like I said and you should be okay

Back