fuel pump/horsepower recommendation

thunderkid84

quick question......

what horsepower would a 190lph pump be good for ?

if my hp goal is about 350 or more should i just spring for a 255lph ??

thanks guys

Roughly 300-320hp

(@15 psi boost pressure and including 5psi loss between fuel rail and pump)

255l/hr will be fine for about 400-450hp

Last edited:
Just make sure you have a good adjustable fuel pressure regulator so you can dial it in.

If you get a tuning chip done to your car, and a 255 pump do you even really need to buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?

If you get a tuning chip done to your car, and a 255 pump do you even really need to buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?

You don't have to have one, but they sometimes come in handy when you can't get your car tuned and need more fuel. They are also a good idea when using injectors larger than 42s, to increase the base pressure to 43.5 psi for better atomization.

For use with a stock fuel rail, I had the best luck using a Kirban adjustable regulator (had bad luck with Holley and Aeromotive). Since switching to billet rails, I now have a remote mounted Aeromotive universal regulator (so far so good).

I agree about getting a 255 lph (High Pressure/Forced Induction) pump.

David

Last edited:
You don't have to have one, but they sometimes come in handy when you can't get your car tuned and need more fuel. They are also a good idea when using injectors larger than 42s, to increase the base pressure to 43.5 psi for better atomization.

For use with a stock fuel rail, I had the best luck using a Kirban adjustable regulator (had bad luck with Holley and Aeromotive). Since switching to billet rails, I now have a remote mounted Aeromotive universal regulator (so far so good).

I agree about getting a 255 lph (High Pressure/Forced Induction) pump.

David

Thanks for the info. for some reason I had it in my head that the stock regulators were electronically controlled.

sorry for bringin up an older thread. its not too old tho. anyway...

what is the stock 110lph fuel pump good for ?

i planned on getting a 255lph but i wanna know if i absolutely need to.

my mods are on my member page and ya'll will probably say i need the 255 but i just wanna know for kicks lol.

thanks

sorry for bringin up an older thread. its not too old tho. anyway...

what is the stock 110lph fuel pump good for ?

i planned on getting a 255lph but i wanna know if i absolutely need to.

my mods are on my member page and ya'll will probably say i need the 255 but i just wanna know for kicks lol.

thanks

Just wonderind what pump you went with? I have to get one now and want to know if the 190 is good enough.

As was said, spend the extra couple of dollars and get the 255FI/HV. If you don't you'll curse yourself in the future when you want to go for the gusto and run out of fuel.

ALso, I don't think the 190's are available as FI/high volume, which is what these cars should get because of the fact they are forced induction. Its not just the pressure thats important its the volume of fuel the pump can put out to keep up. The FI pumps can maintain the volume of fuel better at higher pressures than a non FI pump.

If I understand what was written about the difference between the standard and FI pumps.

Going with what David said. It is possible to relieve a lean condition simply by adjusting the fuel pressure regulator? I think mine is adjusted right but it's still running lean.

Tony8470 Going with what David said. It is possible to relieve a lean condition simply by adjusting the fuel pressure regulator? I think mine is adjusted right but it's still running lean.

Yes, it is possible to relieve a lean condition by adjusting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The only way to truly know is to add a wideband o2. Its definatly worth the $300 investment not to grenade your motor. When I installed my mildly ported stock valve heads last summer, I had to turn the fuel pressure up from 38 to 45 to keep the A/F to 11.8-12.2.

Just wonderind what pump you went with? I have to get one now and want to know if the 190 is good enough.

havent gotten the fuel pump yet. plannin on getting one when i get back from korea in april. im goin with everyone else on this...255 all the way

make sure you get the 255 FI not just the regular 255. You will need the FI version if you have 42 lb or larger injectors. Buy the big one and don't do like I did and have to switch.

I would like to know the max output of a 255FI fuel pump, too.

I'm gonna run E85, which will more than likely force me to build a good fuel system for it.

So simply by upping the pressure I can fix the lean problem?

A bandaid for a bad situation. The more you increase the pressure the more work the fuel pump has to do to keep that pressure, the hotter it gets and more chance of failure which is BAD!!!!. Increase the pressure too much and your back to square 1 because the fuel pump cannot maintain that higher differential pressure.

Upping the pressure should be a temporary solution until you get yourself bigger injectors and then get a tune for those injectors.

I would like to know the max output of a 255FI fuel pump, too.

I'm gonna run E85, which will more than likely force me to build a good fuel system for it.

Here's a quote from the Walbro pump site on the 255FI 's .....

The Walbro high output in-tank electric fuel pumps are available in flow ratings of 255 liters of fuel per hour. These particular pumps flow significantly more fuel at higher pressure. For example, at 80 PSI the standard 255 lph pump will flow around 132 liters (35 gallons) per hour. At that same 80 PSI the equivalent HP (high pressure) fuel pump will flow over 210 liters (50 gallons) per hour.

Walbro in-tank electric fuel pumps utilize a proven gerotor design. The outside dimensions, however, are compact enough to fit existing hanger assemblies, without modification. Coverage includes most popular Acura and Honda, Ford, Chrysler and many other Import applications.

These are complete fuel pump kits and include all drop parts, accessories and installation instructions. Also included is an inlet filter that meets or exceeds original equipment specifications and provides improved filtration and durability.

Back