PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this!

Sweet90SC
01-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Whats this thingy way on the backside of the plenum that has the 2 bolts holding it on it has a tube that goes down the firewall towards the exhaust. I had to take the cowl off to get to the bolts and I was wondering if there was a way to bypass the frappin thing! I can't get it to seal properly so now I have a massive vacuum leak...

Flip
01-27-2007, 09:58 PM
That would be the EGR valve. I do believe that you can eliminate it but will get a check engine light unless you have a chip burned to eliminate that code. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Sweet90SC
01-27-2007, 10:04 PM
I asked in the tech forum too...looks like I blew it now....I cross threaded one of the bolts back there....:(

SuperChicken89
01-27-2007, 10:31 PM
looks like I blew it now....I cross threaded one of the bolts back there....:(

Rick...put down the wrenches and step away from the car:rolleyes:

The EGR can be eliminated by blocking off the port on the inlet plenum and the exhaust manifold. I believe Victor sells a block off plate for the inlet plenum. You can block where the tube connects to the exhaust manifold by cutting the EGR tube, removing the exhaust manifold fitting, and reinstalling the fitting with a penny between the fitting and the manifold. Then just leave the electrical connector connected to the EGR Transducer. All should be good:D But really, if the EGR ain't broke then leave it functional.

Bryan

Sweet90SC
01-27-2007, 11:13 PM
theres nothing wrong with the EGR...I just cross threaded the bolt...I'm gonna try to go ahead and tighten it tomorrow and hope for the best. Car can't run any worse..:rolleyes: Runs like doo doo right now. Then I have every intention of stepping away from the tools my frappin back can't take anymore of this....

SuperChicken89
01-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Rick... why in the first place were you messing with the EGR connection? Were you installing your new shiney SC?

Worst case scenario would be remove the SC/Inlet Plenum and run a 8mmX1.25 tap down the threads. If the threads are too screwed up, Helicoil(sp) it.

Good luck and may the blower gods be on your side:D

Bryan

Sweet90SC
01-28-2007, 12:50 PM
No not the new shiney one.... with all the trouble I've been having I haven't gotten the shiney one from Victor yet. Jeremy V gave me another one back when we had our meet over in Oviedo and I was puttting that one on. I had plenum and all attached so instead of taking the SC loose from the plenum I just removed the whole smash. Although I gotta do that with the shiney one too becuase it comes with a polished plenum too..:D and the EGR mounts to the back of the plenum.. Anyways I got out there early this morning in the rain and got the EGR tightened down and she is running great...except...this SC is no good either...sooooooooooo....Rats!...I have a full rebuild kit for my SC with 2 bottles of fluid I just don't know how to rebuild it... actually all I need is to replace the snout seal on the original one.. the new one has marbles in it..:(

the blower gods hate me

the-big-e
01-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Replacing the front seal and coupler is pretty easy, but you will have to take the blower off, again.....:rolleyes:

I have done a few front seal replacements.....:p

The hardest part was removing the seal, but using some small sheet metal screws and a screwdriver will work to remove the seal....

I use Permatex Aircraft Sealant to seal the case.....

SuperChicken89
01-28-2007, 11:56 PM
this SC is no good either...actually all I need is to replace the snout seal on the original one.. the new one has marbles in it..:(

the blower gods hate me

The snout seal could have been changed with the SC still in the car:mad:

Sounds like your new SC has a bad coupler... hence the marbles sound:rolleyes:

Bryan

Sweet90SC
01-29-2007, 07:36 PM
The snout seal could have been changed with the SC still in the car:mad:

Sounds like your new SC has a bad coupler... hence the marbles sound:rolleyes:

Bryan

Yea...But you can't have it polished on the car...:p