Sunroof Leak

yeah i had ordered one, my part numbers are floating around, i need to order a new one and some new arms, since my soon roof glass tabs broke off and it rattle sometimes... its annoying....

ohh yeah, that guy that sometimes picks up the phone is a jerk

Thanks guys. Do either of you know a website or a phone number for this company iv'e never heard of them.

Drain Tubes

One other thing to check, while you're at it, is the drain tubes on each corner of the moonroof pan. If these are partially blocked, water can easily overwhelm the pan, and leak inside. With the moon roof open, direct a small amount of water from a hose or bottle into the pan, and see how it drains out. You should get 4 puddles of water under the car if everything is draining okay (assuming the car is on a level surface). If any are plugged, you can use low pressure air, or a piece of wire to clear out the debris. The moonroof "seal" isn't really a seal at all, but is only designed to slow down the water intrusion. It's the drain system that actually keep the water out of your car.

JD

thanks..... That sounds like a good place to start checking the drains. It may very well be the problem beacuse the car sat for a long time before i bought it.

thanks..... That sounds like a good place to start checking the drains. It may very well be the problem beacuse the car sat for a long time before i bought it.

I'll look in my FSM tonight to see what the specification is for moonroof seal-to-opening gaps. If the drains are okay, you may need to adjust the glass to balance the gaps. The factory allows for gapping at the seal; I'll let you know the spec's so you can measure. If you don't have a manual, I can scan the pages dealing with adjustment so you can take care of it. Failing all that, you'll have to replace the seal. But it pays to check the cheap/obvious first!

JD

It does very much. No i dont have a manual yet i really should go buy one, but if you could send me those pages i would be very gratefull. thanks alot

Having torn my cougar apart I can say you should definitely look at the hoses. Mine were dumping water into the gap at the quarter panel and caused grief and heartache with rust. I have extended them to ensure they exit under the car.

In addition I'm sure they would make a nice home for spiders or what have you if the car sat.

sean

It does very much. No i dont have a manual yet i really should go buy one, but if you could send me those pages i would be very gratefull. thanks alot

I have scanned the FSM pages pertaining to the moonroof. These are from my 89 FSM, but all year moonroofs are the same. PM me your email address so I can send them to you. There are 12 pages; I went ahead and scanned the entire section so you'd have all the information. Check eBay for a FSM for your year. I have a couple of extra 90's right now, but no 93's.

I'm trying to collect all factory literature for all MN12 years. So far, I have FSM's for 89, 90, 91 & 96. Also have EVTM's for 89, 90, 91, schematics for 89, 90, and spec book for 90.

JD

Back