Busted Oil Cap?

Smoof

Went to add some oil to the SC today and it looks like my oil cap is busted. I turned it a little bit and then heard a snap and now the top of the oil cap just spins freely without opening. I tried to pull it a bit, as well as push it down and see if it locks into something, but nothing. It just spins freely, I can't open the damn thing up! I don't recall it doing this last time I opened it up, so I don't think I'm having a brain fart and just not remembering how to open up a simple oil cap. So how can I get the thing open and until then, can I put some oil down the dipstick tube?

You can remove the neck that the cap screws into and then extract the broken cap. The filler neck has an upper and a lower band. Loosen the lower band which holds the neck to the valve cover and then pull the neck off. It's tight in there. You'll have to use a wrench to open the bolt for the band if you cannot reach it with a screwdriver.

I've never loosened the upper band, so I don't know if that's enough to get the neck off. It's worth a try, though.

Last edited:
Break it off with a hammer and snag one from a junkyard. Its easy enough.

Back