Bad Motor Mount symptom?

T-bird Tim

The 94 SC I just bought vibrates pretty bad when I'm in gear with the brakes applied. I was told by the previous owner that it needed new motor mounts. Does that sound about right or would it be something else? If I put it in neutral it doesnt vibrate.

That very well could be. When the engine is cool, grab ahold of the upper IC tube and see if you can rock the engine back and forth. If you can move it, then you for sure need some new motor mounts. You might also notice when you first put it in gear, esp, reverse that it will shudder a bit.

Thomas

If they are bad, change them ASAP or you could end up with a hole in your PS line or worse, a hole in the oil pan.

Yeah, when it's cold and I put it in reverse, it does shutter pretty bad. Looks like I'm going to order some this week. Thanks guys

The timing retards at idle when the mounts are bad, I think the knock sensors gets rattled by the collapsed mounts banging around. If you have a trusty friend you can have them power brake the car while you stand next to it, so you can see the torqued up engine pull up off the mount.Have some one tape this so when the car takes off and runs over your toes and crashes into your garage door, you can send the tape to Americas Funneiest Vidieos.

Another thing to add to all of the good responses, is that there is a tab in each motor mount that goes through a small "window" that limits the movement of the mount to about 1". If you can get a flashlight in there to see each one, the tab should be hovering roughly in the middle of the window with good mounts. If the mounts are totally shot, the tab will be sitting on the bottom of the window.

If you have a trusty friend you can have them power brake the car while you stand next to it, so you can see the torqued up engine pull up off the mount.

or you could pop the hood, and from the driver's seat look through the crack between the hood and the cowl panel and see the engine move

speaking of motor mounts...

if your going to replace them couldnt you go with some solid mounts...

what are some pros and cons of this addition?

where can you get some?

I have a 1995 stang that im putting a SC motor into and where could I pick some up?

Back